Senior Associate - Hydrogen - Climate Aligned Industries (Houston)
Do you love to solve challenging problems, thinking in numbers, and a passion for making the world better? Do you also have the self-motivation, curiosity, creativity, and ability to strive towards meaningful results for industrial decarbonization? If yes, then join our growing team!
Rocky Mountain Institute (RMI) is seeking Senior Associate roles to support the Climate Aligned Industries program, specifically in the Hydrogen Initiative.
We highly encourage individuals of underrepresented groups to apply!
The Climate Aligned Industries (CAI) Program at RMI is focused on decarbonizing the harder to abate sectors, implementing market mechanisms and supporting policy implementation to limit global warming to 1.5 °C and achieve cost parity for decarbonization solutions. It currently brings together heavy industry sectors (aviation, cement, chemicals, steel and shipping) with our cross-cutting green hydrogen projects (The Green Hydrogen Catapult and Industrial Hubs).
The Hydrogen initiative’s mission is to shape green H2 (and its derivatives) markets and flagship projects by providing thought leadership, convening market leaders, and collaborating with key stakeholders and policy makers. Acting now is critical to meet our global climate targets. Scaling Giga-Watts requires a whole system approach that requires multi-stakeholder inclusion, catalyzing demand, building infrastructure, and the Green Hydrogen Catapult is helping to lead the way.
As a Senior Associate, you are a creative problem solver who uses your analytical abilities to conduct compelling research and assessment to support green hydrogen for industrial sector climate action.
We look for aptitude at solving challenging problems, thinking in numbers, and working in groups. We expect self-motivation, curiosity, creativity, the ability to drive oneself and others toward meaningful results, and a passion for making the world better. RMI Senior Associates are independent contributors and work closely with colleagues on projects under the direction of more senior staff. They have begun to develop expertise in the content area of their program within RMI and can provide support internal to RMI on that topic.
In the day-to-day, this will take the form of analytical research into industrial application of green hydrogen (target sectors in Steel, Shipping and Fertilizer), putting this into context of net-zero transition trajectories for the sectors, understanding the economic and emissions incentives in relation scaling green hydrogen, as well as supporting the team prepare for in conversation/ facilitation with stakeholders. You will also collaborate with other programs within RMI (Carbon Free Electricity and Regional Teams (US, China, India, Global South) given the cross-cutting application of hydrogen.
We are looking for multiple candidates to fill for the following thematic areas in the Hydrogen initiative:
- Clean Hydrogen Hub Development
- Sector Focus; Steel, Fertilizer, Shipping
We invite candidates with a variety of skillsets, educational and work backgrounds!
Your key responsibilities as a Senior Associate include:
- Provide quantitative analysis and modelling for project evaluation.
- Locate and manage high quality data that sheds new light on problems and solutions.
- Come up with creative problem-solving approaches to drive project insight
- Synthesize recommendations into clear and compelling presentations and written reports.
- Present quantitative information in a clear, visual format.
- Engage with external experts via interviews, conferences, and respond to outreach requests.
- Structure and guide the work of more junior team members.
- Design and create approaches and quantitative models (e.g., technoeconomic) to effectively address key questions and challenges posed by our research goals and clients.
- Contribute publicly at conferences, share expertise in response to media requests, discuss our work with clients and donors, and direct RMI research collaborations.
- An undergraduate Bachelor’s degree in an applicable field such as engineering, environmental or physical sciences and at least 4 years cumulative work experience in a related field (or equivalent timeframe inclusive of a post graduate degree) in a related field
- Ability to design, create, and run Excel-based models.
- Understanding of basic financial analysis and metrics (e.g., NPV, cash flows).
- Understanding of fundamentals of thermodynamics and general chemicals processes.
- Familiarity with energy systems, hydrogen production pathways, basics of climate science and decarbonization challenges for heavy industry.
Preferred knowledge, skills, experience, and competencies:
- Prior experience with industrial efficiency and processes of one or more sectors including steel (or other metals/mining), ammonia, refining and petrochemicals or primary energy.
- Experience working among diverse groups with varying perspectives and/or facilitating challenging conversations.
- Project finance modeling.
We are a remote-ready company with team members around the globe. Our beautiful and welcoming offices are available for meetings or focused work, whether you are traveling through or living nearby. Our U.S. offices are in New York City; Washington DC; Oakland, California; Boulder, Colorado, and Basalt, Colorado. This role can be located from anywhere in the continental United States.
We provide you with the essential IT equipment plus a one-time home technology payment and a monthly work from home/commuter allowance to ensure you have a comfortable home office set up and necessary supplies.
We love seeing each other in person! We occasionally gather for shared time together like retreats and learning experiences. Be ready to travel for occasional in-person meetings (and of course, we cover travel costs). Some roles may require more travel, which will be discussed during the hiring process.
Important Note: As a U.S. federal contractor, RMI must comply with requirements outlined Executive Order Ensuring Adequate COVID Safety Protocols for Federal Contractors. This Executive Order requires that all federal contractors and subcontractors mandate and verify that all U.S. based employees are fully vaccinated against COVID-19. If you are based in the U.S., you will be required to provide proof of full vaccination status as a condition of employment. You may request an accommodation for medical or religious reasons. If you are based outside of the U.S., this requirement does not apply.
RMI compensates based on the level and requirements of the role. Salary within our ranges may also be determined by your education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as required by the role, as well as internal equity and alignment with market data. Typically, new Senior Associates join at the minimum to mid salary range of $79,000-$93,000. You would also have an additional 5% bonus target!
We offer a comprehensive benefits package, adjusted to regional norms, including (for US employment):
- Medical, Dental, Vision Insurance
- 403b Retirement Options (up to 5% match immediately)
- Generous PTO
- Professional and personal development (including LinkedIn Learning access)
- Parental leave
- Life, AD&D, Short Term and Long-Term Disability
- Work from home and commuter allowance
Increasing the diversity of thought, perspectives, ideas and opinions within RMI is a critical change element supporting our long-term sustainability and mission to build a clean, prosperous, and secure energy future. We strive for a level of diversity that reflects the communities we serve. Achieving this—regardless of ability, race, ethnicity, ancestry, age, gender, sexual orientation, religion, veteran status, socioeconomic class, educational attainment or other social identities—is critical to the success of each RMIer and collectively as an organization. This ensures that we:
- Have the different array of thinking that comes from diverse backgrounds and cultures, enabling us to solve some of the world’s greatest challenges.
- Strive for a culture of inclusion and belonging by treating others with dignity, respect and appreciation enabling them to feel welcomed, supported and valued.
- Effectively connect, communicate and build long-lasting relationships with decision makers, stakeholders and constituents within diverse communities.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
RMI is an independent nonprofit founded in 1982 that transforms global energy systems through market-driven solutions to align with a 1.5°C future and secure a clean, prosperous, zero-carbon future for all. We work in the world’s most critical geographies and engage businesses, policymakers, communities, and NGOs to identify and scale energy system interventions that will cut greenhouse gas emissions at least 50 percent by 2030. RMI has offices in Basalt and Boulder, Colorado; New York City; Oakland, California; Washington, D.C.; and Beijing.