Reporter: Clean Energy — Canary Media
Are you excited to unearth new stories about clean energy, sustainable mobility, green building, and/or zero-carbon industry? Are you a clear communicator who loves digging into complex issues and distilling them into simple, accurate, and engaging storytelling that can help drive change? Are you passionate about exploring and explaining how the energy shift affects people and the places where they live, especially lower-income neighborhoods and communities of color? Are you eager to reach an influential audience of industry leaders, policymakers, and climate advocates?
Nonprofit journalism outlet Canary Media seeks an enterprising reporter to join our team in covering the transition to clean energy. We are open to candidates who have reported on different beats within the clean energy space or outside of it. We’re particularly interested in growing our reporting in the following areas:
- Mobility, encompassing everything from EVs to e-bikes to transit.
- Electrification of homes and other buildings (and everything else!).
- Implementation of the Inflation Reduction Act and news on other federal and state energy policies.
- Challenges to building out clean energy infrastructure, including supply-chain and land-use concerns.
- Grassroots energy democracy and the push for energy equity and environmental justice.
Canary Media is a subsidiary of clean-energy think tank RMI, but we operate independently. Our organization is dispersed, so employees can work remotely from anywhere in the U.S., or out of an RMI office in New York City, Washington, D.C., Oakland, Boulder or Basalt, Colorado.
We strongly encourage individuals from underrepresented groups to apply!
- Find and pitch original ideas for stories and content
- Cultivate a diverse network of sources
- Dig through data and reports to find buried gems
- Break news and surface undercovered stories
- Show how the energy transition is affecting people and communities
- Produce compelling stories in various lengths and formats, from quick-hit daily news pieces to more in-depth coverage
- Collaborate closely with colleagues from the idea stage to publication
- Be committed to accuracy and fairness
- Help us develop strategies to constantly improve our journalism
- Contribute to a creative, diverse, encouraging, and fun workplace
- At least 3 years of reporting experience
- Strong interest in clean energy and related topics
- Curiosity and a drive to get answers to questions
- Ability to communicate information in a lively and engaging style, especially when covering complex topics
- Comfort working in a fast-paced newsroom and meeting deadlines
- Ability to work independently and be a self-starter as well as cooperate with team members
- Willingness to explore innovative journalism approaches
- Understanding of how social media platforms can be used to reach audiences or sources
- Careful attention to detail
- Recognition of the urgency of climate change and dedication to covering efforts to build a more clean and just energy system
- A sense of humor — even in the face of daily newsroom tumult and the climate crisis
The salary range for this role is $75,000–$90,000. Salary to be determined by considering the candidate’s experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity and alignment with market data.
- We offer a comprehensive benefits package including:
- Medical, dental and vision insurance
- 403(b) retirement options (immediate 5% match)
- Life, AD&D, short-term and long-term disability insurance
- Generous paid time off
- Parental leave
- Wellness benefits
- Work-from-home or commuter allowance
- We also offer a fully remote workplace and casual work environment.
Please apply with a cover letter, a résumé, and a document with copies of or links to three work samples.
As a federal contractor in the U.S., RMI must comply with requirements outlined in the Executive Order on Ensuring Adequate COVID Safety Protocols for Federal Contractors, which requires that all federal contractors and subcontractors mandate and verify that all U.S.-based employees are fully vaccinated against COVID-19. You will be required to provide proof of full vaccination status as a condition of employment. You may request accommodation for medical or religious reasons.
The world needs all hands on deck to avert the worst of the climate crisis. That’s why Canary Media values diversity of backgrounds and perspectives when it comes to expanding our team and nurturing its culture. Candidates of all races, ethnicities, abilities, religions, sexes, sexual orientations, gender identities, national origins, socioeconomic classes, political persuasions, veteran statuses, or other identities are strongly encouraged to apply. Canary Media is an equal opportunity employer.
Canary Media is dedicated to providing an accessible environment for all candidates during the application process and for employees during their employment. If you need accessibility assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability, please submit a request to email@example.com. (Requests and calls received for non-disability-related issues, such as following up on an application, will not receive a response.)