Senior Editor — Canary Media
Do you want to be an integral part of an ambitious newsroom covering the transition to clean energy? Are you excited to collaborate on journalism about the changing energy sector, sustainable mobility, green building, and zero-carbon industry? Are you eager to reach an influential audience of business leaders, policymakers, and climate advocates?
Nonprofit journalism outlet Canary Media seeks a senior editor to work at the heart of our team and help us plan and execute our reporting on the many aspects of the energy transition.
Canary Media is a subsidiary of clean-energy think tank RMI, but we operate independently. Our organization is dispersed, so employees can work remotely from anywhere in the U.S., or at an RMI office in New York City, Washington, D.C., Oakland, Boulder or Basalt, Colorado.
We strongly encourage individuals from underrepresented groups to apply!
- Edit a wide variety of content, primarily but not exclusively written articles
- Work with staff writers and reporters on every step from idea to publication, with particular emphasis on substantive editing
- Solicit and edit pieces from freelancers and guest authors
- Collaborate with the editorial team to determine coverage priorities and develop ideas for stories, special projects and new content types
- Collaborate with designers, video and audio producers, social media manager, marketing team, and fundraising team on projects
- Workshop headlines, deks, and promotional language for social media
- Help ensure that our work includes diverse voices representing the many communities affected by climate change and the energy transition
- Keep up with news and developments in our coverage areas
- Mentor junior editorial staff
- 5+ years of experience as an editor at a daily digital publication
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced newsroom, juggling multiple priorities, meeting deadlines, and coaxing colleagues to get things done
- Ability to work with a wide range of writers, from early-career staffers to seasoned reporters to outside experts who have compelling ideas but don’t write for a living
- Strong interpersonal communication skills and organizational skills
- Diplomacy combined with tough-mindedness: You work respectfully and collaboratively with writers to produce journalism that is accessible, useful, and compelling
- Dedication to fair, rigorous, and accurate reporting
- A knack for making complex topics broadly understandable and interesting
- Creativity and enthusiasm for trying new things
- Commitment to cultivating an inclusive culture and ability to work well with people of differing backgrounds and perspectives
- Capacity to learn new subjects quickly
- Strong interest in the clean energy transition and climate solutions
- A sense of humor — even in the face of daily newsroom tumult and the climate crisis
And it would be nice if you also have:
- Knowledge of climatetech, energy, business, policy, climate change, or environmental justice
- Experience managing video projects and editing video scripts and storyboards
- A strong network of freelance writers and content producers
The salary range for this role is $85,000–$95,000. Salary to be determined by considering the candidate’s experience, knowledge, skills and abilities, as well as internal equity and alignment with market data.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package including:
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- 403(b) retirement options (immediate 5% match)
- Life, AD&D, short-term and long-term disability insurance
- Generous paid time off
- Parental leave
- Wellness benefits
- Work-from-home or commuter allowance
- We also offer a fully remote workplace and casual work environment.
Please apply with a résumé and a cover letter describing your background and interest in this position.
As a federal contractor in the U.S., RMI must comply with requirements outlined in the Executive Order on Ensuring Adequate COVID Safety Protocols for Federal Contractors, which requires that all federal contractors and subcontractors mandate and verify that all U.S.-based employees are fully vaccinated against COVID-19. You will be required to provide proof of full vaccination status as a condition of employment. You may request accommodation for medical or religious reasons.
The world needs all hands on deck to avert the worst of the climate crisis. That’s why Canary Media values diversity of backgrounds and perspectives when it comes to expanding our team and nurturing its culture. Candidates of all races, ethnicities, abilities, religions, sexes, sexual orientations, gender identities, national origins, socioeconomic classes, political persuasions, veteran statuses, or other identities are strongly encouraged to apply. Canary Media is an equal opportunity employer.
Canary Media is dedicated to providing an accessible environment for all candidates during the application process and for employees during their employment. If you need accessibility assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability, please submit a request to firstname.lastname@example.org. (Requests and calls received for non-disability-related issues, such as following up on an application, will not receive a response.)