Executive Assistant – Strategic Analysis and Engagement Group
We are seeking an Executive Assistant to support the senior leadership team (four Principals and one Senior Expert) for our Strategic Analysis and Engagement (SAE) Group. SAE’s mission is to catalyze and coordinate cutting-edge thought leadership activities at the edges and intersections of RMI programs. Other RMI programs focus on specific sectors, geographies, or market catalysts, with the goal to drive 1.5ºC-aligned action within those areas. SAE focuses on the integrated story of climate action progress and serves as a force multiplier to drive connectivity and efficiency across RMI programs and the broader climate-actor ecosystem.
Are you an administrative professional with exceptional organizational and communication skills? Are you able to manage several responsibilities at a time while ensuring exceptional accuracy and attention to detail? Are you a proactive problem solver who can anticipate challenges and opportunities ahead of time? Do you have strong team and interpersonal skills and the ability to work independently? Do you enjoy the administrative challenges of supporting executive-level individuals? If yes, then join our team!
Individuals of underrepresented groups are strongly encouraged to apply!
Scope of Work: The Executive Assistant will support SAE’s Principals and Senior Expert (P/SE) in support of the demanding work of the Institute.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Manages the Principals’ and Senior Expert’s schedules.
- Ensures P/SE are prepared for meetings and engagements by providing necessary information, reserving preparation time and scheduling preparation meetings as necessary, and completing a wide range of tasks that facilitate P/SE’s ability to effectively lead SAE and their respective initiatives.
- Serves as ‘gatekeeper’ for P/SEs, streamlining communication and serving as primary point of contact for P/SEs with both internal and external stakeholders.
- Submits timesheets and expense reports on time for P/SEs and maintains associated documentation.
- Understands priorities and commitments of P/SEs and can adjust seamlessly, proactively and with little advance notice.
- Handles requests daily from P/SEs and follows up in a timely and professional manner.
- Serves as day-to-day point of contact for troubleshooting for MS Office, Teams, and other platforms; resolving issues as they arise and communicating solutions to P/SEs.
Team Management Support
- Maintains file management system (SharePoint) including uploading documents, maintaining organization, granting permissions, and resolving filesharing issues promptly with IT.
- Collects corporate card expenses of Communications and Marketing team monthly and submits them in timely manner
- Circulates meeting materials and agendas for team meetings, attends meetings and functions as notetaker; circulates action items to relevant participants following meetings, following up as needed.
- Keeps abreast of work anniversaries, birthdays and major life moments and coordinates team celebration and gift
- Organizes and manages logistics for in-person/hybrid semi-annual strategy meetings and other major team convenings.
- Takes initiative to identify areas that would benefit from administrative improvement and suggest solutions.
- Support P/SEs on task management through Monday.com.
Travel & Events
- Creates and manages all logistical and booking details related to domestic and international travel of P/SEs and maintains all travel rewards and membership programs.
- Provides quick solutions to unanticipated changes in travel schedules.
- Ensures travel (both international and domestic), lodging and scheduling are error free.
- Ensures MD travel documents are up to date (passports, TSA PreCheck, Global Entry, Driver’s License, et al).
- Coordinates travel, lodging and registration for other SAE team members for events.
- Organizes reporters’ briefings and dinners with reporters for P/SEs and SAE team tied to events.
- Maintains a high-level of proficiency with all RMI-approved platforms and tools including Microsoft Office, Google Suite, Zoom, Adobe, Calendly, Monday.com and others
- Maintains daily oversight of platforms; proactively resolving issues as they arise throughout the day.
- Actively pursues improvement in skill levels and technical proficiency, both independently and drawing from expertise of peers.
- Understands functioning and troubleshooting of iPhones, applications, both PCs and Macs, printers, and other devices.
- Proficient note-taker, able to concisely capture action items and follow up with appropriate team members to ensure completion.
Dependability and Flexibility
- Can be relied upon to assist with projects outside areas of primary responsibility and deliver work in the timeframe identified with minimal oversight.
- Can handle unanticipated changes graciously and efficiently; including changes to schedules, plans and workloads and reacts to these changes in a timely manner.
- Approaches difficult situations with a positive attitude and identifies solutions.
- Track record of impeccable ethics and discretion when ensuring that Leadership expenses are managed according to policy.
- Details learned through supporting Leadership are kept strictly confidential.
- Exhibits a high level of professionalism in interaction with others both inside and outside RMI.
- Communicates clearly and effectively verbally and in writing and has superior listening skills.
- Interacts with others in a warm and professional manner.
- Represents RMI to the outside world, often by engaging with people at the highest levels in corporations, foundations, government, and academic institutions.
- Five years of experience as an Executive Assistant in a professional environment
- Experience with international scheduling and travel booking
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, Zoom, Adobe, Calendly, Monday.com
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Experience planning events and domestic and international travel
- Ability to identify potential problems before they arise and proactively propose solutions
- Fluency in English
- Preferred Qualifications:
- Ability to interact with staff at all levels, often under pressure, remaining positive, flexible, proactive, resourceful, efficient, and managing multiple competing demands and priorities.
- Ability to always maintain professionalism and strict confidentiality.
- Good judgment and strong decision-making ability.
We are a remote-ready company with team members around the globe. Our beautiful and welcoming offices are available for meetings or focused work, whether you are traveling through or living nearby. Our U.S. offices are in New York City; Washington DC; Oakland, California; Boulder, Colorado, and Basalt, Colorado. This role can be located from anywhere in the continental United States, but preference will be given to Boulder, Colorado, where three of the five support individuals are based.
We provide you with the essential IT equipment plus a one-time home technology payment and a monthly work from home/commuter allowance to ensure you have a comfortable home office set up and necessary supplies.
We love seeing each other in person! We occasionally gather for shared time together like retreats and learning experiences. Be ready to travel for occasional in-person meetings (and of course, we cover travel costs). Some roles may require more travel, which will be discussed during the hiring process.
Important Note: As a U.S. federal contractor, RMI must comply with requirements outlined Executive Order Ensuring Adequate COVID Safety Protocols for Federal Contractors. This Executive Order requires that all federal contractors and subcontractors mandate and verify that all U.S. based employees are fully vaccinated against COVID-19. If you are based in the U.S., you will be required to provide proof of full vaccination status as a condition of employment. You may request accommodation for medical or religious reasons. If you are based outside of the U.S., this requirement does not apply.
RMI compensates based on the level and requirements of the role. Salary within our ranges may also be determined by your education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as required by the role, as well as internal equity and alignment with market data. Typically, new Executive Assistants join at the minimum to mid salary range of $70,000-$85,400. You would also have an additional 5% bonus target!
- We offer a comprehensive benefits package adjusted to regional norms, including (for U.S. employment):
- Medical, dental, vision insurance
- 403b retirement options (up to 5% match immediately)
- Life, AD&D, short-term and long-term disability
- Professional and personal development (including LinkedIn Learning access)
- Generous paid time off
- Parental leave
- Work from home and commuter allowance
Increasing the diversity of thought, perspectives, ideas, and opinions within RMI is a critical change element supporting our long-term sustainability and mission to build a clean, prosperous, and secure energy future.
We strive for a level of diversity that reflects the communities we serve. Achieving this—regardless of ability, race, ethnicity, ancestry, age, gender, sexual orientation, religion, veteran status, socioeconomic class, educational attainment, or other social identities—is critical to the success of each RMIer and collectively as an organization. This ensures that we:
- Have the different array of thinking that comes from diverse backgrounds and cultures, enabling us to solve some of the world’s greatest challenges.
- Strive for a culture of inclusion and belonging by treating others with dignity, respect and appreciation enabling them to feel welcomed, supported and valued.
- Effectively connect, communicate, and build long-lasting relationships with decision makers, stakeholders, and constituents within diverse communities.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
RMI is an independent nonprofit founded in 1982 that transforms global energy systems through market-driven solutions to align with a 1.5°C future and secure a clean, prosperous, zero-carbon future for all. We work in the world’s most critical geographies and engage businesses, policymakers, communities, and NGOs to identify and scale energy system interventions that will cut greenhouse gas emissions at least 50 percent by 2030. RMI has offices in Basalt and Boulder, Colorado; New York City; Oakland, California; Washington, D.C.; and Beijing.