Strategic Communications Manager, Climate Tech Innovation
Are you a creative thinker with an intense drive for results and impact? Are you passionate about backing tech startups to combat climate change? Do you have a keen ability to grasp and synthesize complex issues? Are you a highly organized and detailed-oriented expert at tailoring communications to particular audiences? Do you thrive on working in fast-paced environments and simultaneously managing multiple projects and priorities? If yes, then join our growing Communications and Marketing team!
We highly encourage individuals of underrepresented groups to apply!
RMI is seeking an experienced and creative Strategic Communications Manager with excellent project management and writing skills to lead communications strategy and execution for its Third Derivative (D3) program.
D3 seeks to build a sustainable, prosperous, and equitable climate future by accelerating the commercialization and deployment of the world’s most promising climate technologies and innovations. D3 has built an open, inclusive, global ecosystem of investors, corporations, and experts to rapidly find, fund, and scale climate technologies and transform markets globally.
Since launching in late 2020 as a program within RMI, the D3 ecosystem includes over 100 climate tech startups representing gigaton-scale solutions across every major greenhouse gas emissions sector, about 20 committed VC partners around the world, 10 leading corporate partners representing multiple industries, over 140 expert mentors and coaches, and RMI’s 500+ market, regulatory, and policy experts.
You will be a strong team player and manager who works as an integral part of the D3 team — working closely with the outreach team principal and the Managing Director on thought leadership — while coordinating and collaborating with multiple other RMI programs, our central Communications and Marketing team, and external partners.
As the Strategic Communications Manager, you will use data-driven insights about D3’s audiences and their motivations to develop relevant communications materials for the team, and to support the execution of campaigns to engage more prospective startup applicants and capital, asset, and knowledge partners. As the owner of D3’s editorial calendar, you will also develop and write monthly newsletters, stories, and articles, manage the publication of D3’s innovation insights, and coordinate communications efforts across channels with other RMI programs to inform and influence key stakeholders and decision makers.
RMI communications plans utilize diverse channels and media. You will enjoy developing strategy and executing that work, both individually and through effectively engaging in-house functional experts (this in-house team supports all RMI programs and fundraising) in editorial, design, traditional and digital media, and web for the benefit of their programs.
Experience in the climate technology, corporate innovation, and/or startup / venture capital industry is highly desired. You will exhibit high intellectual curiosity toward the market space and be proficient at communicating at various levels of depth (more in-depth for industry audiences; simplified for lay audiences including donor prospects).
Your Key Roles and Responsibilities:
Develop and Lead D3 Communications
- Develop, coordinate, and deliver audience-centric communications campaigns for D3 program initiatives that leverage diverse channels, including media relations, social/digital, direct email communications, events, partnerships, and RMI- and partner-owned assets.
- Assist the managing director, outreach team principal, and other program spokespeople in thought leadership, including LinkedIn and social channels, Op-Eds, speaking engagements.
- Support Program leaders to position, frame and develop narratives and reports from an audience-centric perspective.
- Proactively manage D3 publication pipeline (editorial calendar) and the development of monthly articles featuring ecosystem spotlights, innovation insights, and other impact-focused topics.
- Craft credible and effective audience-specific messages for marketing, business development, and recruiting purposes.
- Support the growth of D3’s social media presence (i.e., Twitter, LinkedIn, potentially other future platforms)
- Promote community engagement via D3’s newsletters and other targeted communication channels, including updating existing marketing materials and developing new materials (investor and corporate decks, startup updates, etc)
- Steward RMI and D3 program brands within target markets and audiences
- Advise on optimal resource plan for communications, including hiring supporting resources or enlisting specialist agencies for the sectors in which we operate
Internal and External Coordination
- Collaborate with and leverage RMI in-house communications capabilities (i.e., editorial, design, web, traditional and social media) and third-party agencies.
- Support global outreach and PR expansion efforts (including earned media) by working together with D3’s outreach principal and RMI’s Communications and Marketing team. Initiatives with D3 will be international in scope, including focused work with corporate partners, VC investors, and startups from around the world.
- Direct RMI technical experts into the right conversations (media, social, other) that are shaping target audience sentiment in line with goals
- Coordinate integrated cross-programmatic messaging both internally and with external partners.
Manage and Support Execution
- Maintain D3 website and recurring updates of content, including relevant RMI website updates. This includes publishing monthly articles on D3’s independent website.
- Leverage data insights to identify and research target audiences. This includes CRM support (website, contact us, media inquiries, etc) via Hubspot and potentially other CRM platforms.
- Follow RMI Influence Team processes to project manage insight briefs and larger reports for D3 program.
- Proactively leverage news-making moments, milestones, outcomes, and impacts to drive awareness and interest in the program with target audiences (startups, investors, corporates), influencers, philanthropic donors, and decision-makers.
- Develop in-depth understanding of audience(s) and familiarity of technical content for owned impact areas.
- Develop and report against metrics of success and track activities against outcomes and impact.
- Other responsibilities as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, public relations, communications, marketing, or related field or appropriate combination of education and significant experience.
- 5+ years’ experience in relevant industries with specific experience in marketing and communications disciplines, with demonstrated success in developing strategies and leading successful global communications campaigns.
- Ability to manage multiple relationships and complex projects.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Tight project and task management skills.
- Strong team player with excellent interpersonal / collaborative skills with staff and counterparts at all organizational levels and with external partners
- Relevant experience and relative mastery of communications topics related to the work of the D3 and how it fits into the bigger picture at RMI, the global energy transition, and climate change.
- Meticulous attention to detail
- Experience in a rapid growth startup
- Experience juggling conflicting priorities is ideal.
- Experience working on sustainability, climate, or energy issues.
- Passion and interest in climate tech innovation’s role across all greenhouse gas emissions sectors — particularly hard tech and hard science solutions.
- Experience marketing to diverse groups, including communities of color.
- Ability to communicate to a diverse, policy, industry and stakeholder audience.
- Proven career and successful track record of strategic marketing and communications efforts.
We are a remote-ready company with team members around the globe. Our beautiful and welcoming offices are available for meetings or focused work, whether you are traveling through or living nearby. Our U.S. offices are in New York City; Washington DC; Oakland, California; Boulder, Colorado, and Basalt, Colorado. This role can be located from anywhere in the continental United States. Given the deadlines and 24-hour news cycle that drive communications, the individual will occasionally be expected to work EST hours. This will be discussed further throughout the interview process.
We provide you with the essential IT equipment plus a one-time home technology payment and a monthly work from home/commuter allowance to ensure you have a comfortable home office set up and necessary supplies.
We love seeing each other in person! We occasionally gather for shared time together like retreats and learning experiences. Be ready to travel for occasional in-person meetings (and of course, we cover travel costs). Some roles may require more travel, which will be discussed during the hiring process.
Important Note: As a U.S. federal contractor, RMI must comply with requirements outlined in Executive Order Ensuring Adequate COVID Safety Protocols for Federal Contractors. This Executive Order requires that all federal contractors and subcontractors mandate and verify that all U.S. based employees are fully vaccinated against COVID-19. If you are based in the U.S., you will be required to provide proof of full vaccination status as a condition of employment. You may request accommodation for medical or religious reasons. If you are based outside of the U.S., this requirement does not apply.
RMI compensates based on the level and requirements of the role. Salary within our ranges may also be determined by your education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as required by the role, as well as internal equity and alignment with market data. Typically, new Managers join at the minimum to mid salary range of $88,000-$107,000. You would also have an additional 10% bonus target!
We offer a comprehensive benefits package adjusted to regional norms, including (for U.S. employment):
- Medical, dental, vision insurance
- 403b retirement options (up to 5% match immediately)
- Life, AD&D, short-term and long-term disability
- Professional and personal development (including LinkedIn Learning access)
- Generous paid time off
- Parental leave
- Work from home and commuter allowance
Increasing the diversity of thought, perspectives, ideas and opinions within RMI is a critical change element supporting our long-term sustainability and mission to build a clean, prosperous, and secure energy future.
We strive for a level of diversity that reflects the communities we serve. Achieving this—regardless of ability, race, ethnicity, ancestry, age, gender, sexual orientation, religion, veteran status, socioeconomic class, educational attainment or other social identities—is critical to the success of each RMIer and collectively as an organization. This ensures that we:
Have the different array of thinking that comes from diverse backgrounds and cultures, enabling us to solve some of the world’s greatest challenges.
Strive for a culture of inclusion and belonging by treating others with dignity, respect and appreciation enabling them to feel welcomed, supported and valued.
Effectively connect, communicate and build long-lasting relationships with decision makers, stakeholders and constituents within diverse communities.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
RMI is an independent nonprofit founded in 1982 that transforms global energy systems through market-driven solutions to align with a 1.5°C future and secure a clean, prosperous, zero-carbon future for all. We work in the world’s most critical geographies and engage businesses, policymakers, communities, and NGOs to identify and scale energy system interventions that will cut greenhouse gas emissions at least 50 percent by 2030. RMI has offices in Basalt and Boulder, Colorado; New York City; Oakland, California; Washington, D.C.; and Beijing.