Lead Data Engineer
Lead Data Engineer
Data, Analysis, and Research | Knowledge Management Team
Do you love solving complex technology problems and thinking in data architecture and systems? Do you have the self-motivation, curiosity, creativity and ability to collaborate effectively with content experts? Are you passionate about making the world a better place through improved data, visualization, and automation? If yes, then join our growing team!
RMI is seeking a data engineer to help design connected database solutions, build persuasive visualizations, and leverage third-party research and data that flows into RMI to support our 13 programs working to solve the climate crisis.
Individuals from underrepresented groups are strongly encouraged to apply!
Application Deadline: Please submit all application materials by Friday, August 19th
RMI decarbonizes energy systems through rapid, market-based change in the world’s most critical geographies to align with a 1.5°C future and address the climate crisis. We work with businesses, policymakers, communities and other organizations to identify and scale energy system interventions that will cut greenhouse gas emissions at least 50% by 2030.
RMI is a knowledge-based organization, and it is critical for there to be a successful and robust knowledge management competency at the organization to improve the impact of our programs. As part of the KM function, RMI is building out a Data, Analytics, and Research team, including hiring a Lead Data Engineer, to enhance access to and data/news/research services (40-50 at present), and more fully leverage them for decisions and insights across RMI. You will be on the Program Services Team, reporting to the Data, Analytics, and Research Manager, and you will collaborate directly with programmatic staff from across the organization. This is a new position which represents expanded core competencies and focus at RMI. A successful candidate will be adept at data processing, data/content pipelines, APIs, and associated coding languages, with a keen attention to detail and a strong desire to work with data to accelerate the energy transition.
- Create easily-accessible internal databases for RMI’s program staff
- Build user-friendly visualization dashboards from RMI’s enterprise subscriptions, including but not limited to Bloomberg/BNEF and Rystad
- Conduct required data processing so that RMI’s program staff can conduct independent analysis with high conviction in data quality, completeness, and coherence
- Enhance the connectivity of data sets
- Automate data refreshes and collection methodologies where appropriate
- Create information pipelines that connect users to content relevant to their needs/areas of expertise
- Mine staff utilization of systems and content to automatically identify areas of interest for better content matching to each individual user
- Prepare reports and updates for programmatic use, identifying trends, patterns and predictions using relevant data
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university, or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- At least 2 years of direct relevant experience in data engineering, data processing, and automation
- Ability to work with stakeholders to assess and understand needs
- High-level experience in methodologies and processes for managing large-scale databases
- Experience working with and creating data architectures
- Demonstrated experience in handling large data sets and relational databases
- Demonstrated experience in languages such as R, Python, SQL.
- Ability to use business intelligence tools (specifically Power BI) to create clear, communicative data visualizations
- Proficiency in statistics and statistical packages to be used for data set analysis
- Experience in handling reporting packages
- Experience with API connections and maintenance
- Accuracy and attention to detail
- Adept at queries, writing reports, and making presentations
- Passion for the mission of RMI
- Experience with data sets including but not limited to Bloomberg and Rystad
- Strong team and interpersonal skills and the ability to work independently
- Ability to perform duties in a collaborative, unstructured working environment, strong verbal and written communication and presentation skills, strong analytical and quantitative skills and strong problem-solving skills
- Extreme attention to detail and commitment to producing high quality work
- Demonstrated capability to present to audiences in a variety of international, cultural, and institutional settings
We are a remote-ready company with team members around the globe. Our beautiful and welcoming offices are available for meetings or focused work, whether you are traveling through or living nearby. Our U.S. offices are in New York City; Washington DC; Oakland, California; Boulder, Colorado, and Basalt, Colorado. This role can be located from anywhere in the continental United States.
We provide you with the essential IT equipment plus a one-time home technology payment and a monthly work from home/commuter allowance to ensure you have a comfortable home office set up and necessary supplies.
We love seeing each other in person! We occasionally gather for shared time together like retreats and learning experiences. Be ready to travel for occasional in-person meetings (and of course, we cover travel costs). Some roles may require more travel, which will be discussed during the hiring process.
- RMI compensates based on the level and requirements of the role. Salary within our ranges may also be determined by your education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as required by the role, as well as internal equity and alignment with market data. Typically, new Data Engineers join at the minimum to mid salary range of $91,000- $106,000. You would also have an additional 10% bonus target!
We offer a comprehensive benefits package including:
- Medical, dental, vision insurance
- 403b retirement options (5% match immediately)
- Life, AD&D, short-term and long-term disability
- Professional and personal development (including LinkedIn Learning access)
- Generous paid time off
- Parental leave
- Commuter and wellness benefits
- Casual work environment
Increasing the diversity of thought, perspectives, ideas and opinions within RMI is a critical change element supporting our long-term sustainability and mission to build a clean, prosperous, and secure energy future.
We strive for a level of diversity that reflects the communities we serve. Achieving this—regardless of ability, race, ethnicity, ancestry, age, gender, sexual orientation, religion, veteran status, socioeconomic class, educational attainment or other social identities—is critical to the success of each RMIer and collectively as an organization. This ensures that we:
- Have the different array of thinking that comes from diverse backgrounds and cultures, enabling us to solve some of the world’s greatest challenges.
- Strive for a culture of inclusion and belonging by treating others with dignity, respect and appreciation enabling them to feel welcomed, supported and valued.
- Effectively connect, communicate and build long-lasting relationships with decision makers, stakeholders and constituents within diverse communities.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
RMI is an independent nonprofit founded in 1982 that transforms global energy systems through market-driven solutions to align with a 1.5°C future and secure a clean, prosperous, zero-carbon future for all. We work in the world’s most critical geographies and engage businesses, policymakers, communities, and NGOs to identify and scale energy system interventions that will cut greenhouse gas emissions at least 50 percent by 2030. RMI has offices in Basalt and Boulder, Colorado; New York City; Oakland, California; Washington, D.C.; and Beijing.