Strategic Communications Manager- Carbon-Free Mobility
RMI is seeking an experienced Strategic Communications Manager to lead marketing and communications strategy and execution for our Carbon-Free Mobility (CFM) team. This position will play an integral role in driving the conversation around the global energy transition in the rapidly evolving transportation space.
We highly encourage individuals of underrepresented groups to apply!
A successful hire will be a strong team player who enjoys bringing communications strategies to life by leveraging insights, research, and experts on the CFM team. In addition, the Strategic Communications Manager will collaborate with in-house teams — including editorial, design, earned media, social media, web, and strategy — to develop the most effective messages and campaigns. Additionally, the ideal candidate will have a knack for storytelling and the ability to develop compelling messages that influence key stakeholders and decision makers. This position reports to the Director of Sector Communications.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Develop and Lead CFM Marketing and Communications Strategy
- Provide guidance to program leaders to position, frame, and develop narratives from an audience-centric perspective.
- Develop, coordinate, and deliver audience-centric marketing plans and communications campaigns for our program initiatives by leveraging diverse channels, including media relations, social, events, direct communications, events, partnerships, and RMI- and partner-owned assets.
- Project-manage CFM team publications, including articles, insight briefs, and reports. Develop and execute multi-channel promotion plans for each publication.
- Draft content for RMI website (articles), earned media (pitches and press releases), social media (posts), email marketing (copy).
- Assist managing director and other program spokespeople in thought leadership, including LinkedIn and social channels, Op-Eds, speaking engagements.
- Direct and guide RMI experts into the right conversations (media, social, other) to shape target audience sentiment.
- Proactively leverage news-making moments to drive awareness and interest in the program with target audiences such as influencers, donors, policymakers, and decision-makers.
- Develop earned media materials, build media lists, pitch RMI insights and experts to reporters.
- Set and track metrics of success and track activities against outcomes and impact.
Internal and External Coordination
- Collaborate with and leverage RMI in-house communications capabilities (i.e., editorial, design, web, traditional and social media) and third-party agencies.
- Coordinate public outreach with other partners; identify potential partnerships with other local and national organizations to amplify key issues.
- Coordinate communications efforts with other RMI programs and manage internal processes to efficiently deliver relevant thought-leadership, stories, and insights to targeted audiences.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, public relations, communications, marketing, or related field and/or appropriate combination of education and significant experience.
- 5+ years’ experience in marketing and communications disciplines in the political and policy space, with strong experience in developing strategies and leading successful global communications campaigns.
- Ability to manage multiple relationships and complex projects.
- Tight project and task management skills.
- Experience working on climate or energy issues, ideally in the transportation space.
- Experience marketing to diverse channels, including communities of color.
- Ability to communicate to a diverse, policy, industry, and stakeholder audience.
We are a remote-ready company with team members around the globe. Our beautiful and welcoming offices are available for meetings or focused work, whether you are traveling through or living nearby. Our U.S. offices are in New York City; Washington DC; Oakland, California; Boulder, Colorado, and Basalt, Colorado.
We provide you with the essential IT equipment plus a one-time home technology payment and a monthly work from home/commuter allowance to ensure you have a comfortable home office set up and necessary supplies.
We love seeing each other in person! We occasionally gather for shared time together like retreats and learning experiences. Be ready to travel for occasional in-person meetings (and of course, we cover travel costs). Some roles may require more travel, which will be discussed during the hiring process.
RMI compensates based on the level and requirements of the role. Salary within our ranges may also be determined by your education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as required by the role, as well as internal equity and alignment with market data. Typically, new Strategic Communications Managers join at the minimum to mid salary range of $79,000- $93,000. You would also have an additional 10% bonus target!
We offer a comprehensive benefits package including:
- Medical, dental, vision insurance
- 403b retirement options (5% match immediately)
- Life, AD&D, short-term and long-term disability
- Professional and personal development (including LinkedIn Learning access)
- Generous paid time off
- Parental leave
- Commuter and wellness benefits
- Casual work environment
Increasing the diversity of thought, perspectives, ideas and opinions within RMI is a critical change element supporting our long-term sustainability and mission to build a clean, prosperous, and secure energy future.
We strive for a level of diversity that reflects the communities we serve. Achieving this—regardless of ability, race, ethnicity, ancestry, age, gender, sexual orientation, religion, veteran status, socioeconomic class, educational attainment or other social identities—is critical to the success of each RMIer and collectively as an organization. This ensures that we:
- Have the different array of thinking that comes from diverse backgrounds and cultures, enabling us to solve some of the world’s greatest challenges.
- Strive for a culture of inclusion and belonging by treating others with dignity, respect and appreciation enabling them to feel welcomed, supported and valued.
- Effectively connect, communicate and build long-lasting relationships with decision makers, stakeholders and constituents within diverse communities.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
RMI is an independent nonprofit founded in 1982 that transforms global energy systems through market-driven solutions to align with a 1.5°C future and secure a clean, prosperous, zero-carbon future for all. We work in the world’s most critical geographies and engage businesses, policymakers, communities, and NGOs to identify and scale energy system interventions that will cut greenhouse gas emissions at least 50 percent by 2030. RMI has offices in Basalt and Boulder, Colorado; New York City; Oakland, California; Washington, D.C.; and Beijing.