Full-Stack Software Developer – Buildings Decarbonization Software
Are you passionate about decarbonization and about building amazing software? RMI is seeking a full-stack software developer with 5+ years of experience developing applications and excitement to work on systems to reduce the carbon footprint of buildings!
Individuals of underrepresented groups are strongly encouraged to apply!
You would be working on the next version of the Portfolio Energy Optimization (PEO) analytics tool together with a small and fast-moving team of engineers, sustainability experts, and product manager. RMI is committed to decarbonizing the building sector and taking the PEO tool to a full-fledged SaaS solution has the potential to significantly increase the retrofit rate of commercial buildings, which is critical to realizing a 1.5-degree future. The buildings sector is responsible for 40% of all energy consumption in the USA and we need to see a quadrupling of the current rate of building retrofits to meet this goal.
RMI is a non-profit think-do-scale tank that has a 40-year history of working on clean energy solutions using integrative design solutions. The institute has a track record of incubating successful businesses and organizations, most recently, WattTime, BlackBear Energy, Energy Web Foundation, and REBA. Joining the PEO team now provides an opportunity to get in on the ground floor of commercializing and scaling an emerging business while having the support of RMI’s expertise and network.
RMI’s Portfolio Energy Optimization (PEO) analytics tool has been developed over the past six years and has successfully supported multiple demonstration projects while continuing to expand in capability. The tool produces virtual representations of buildings and uses them to identify cost-effective retrofit packages to decarbonize buildings. The PEO team is staffed with engineers, software developers, and sustainability experts capable of expanding and troubleshooting the analytics tool. The current analytics tool is already capable of delivering results at one-half the cost of traditional approaches. To impact the market at scale, however, the tool needs to be rearchitected for workflow optimization and evolve into a client-friendly software application containing RMI's engineering and expertise, that can expand beyond RMI’s consultant-led projects and eventually become ubiquitous within the industry enabling sectoral transformation.
As a software developer, you will join a small high-performance team as we look to transform our existing consultant-led PEO analytics tool into a robust, consultant-supported, client-friendly software application. You will have the opportunity to:
- Work with a small, fast-moving team of experienced product manager, engineers, and sustainability experts to build systems & interfaces for building analysts to model carbon footprint and optimal improvements for buildings
- Expand to a leadership role as we’re growing the team of both internal and external developers
- Lead engagements with contractors building our new database and data input forms
RMI has a history of both incubating successful businesses and organizations. Joining the PEO team provides you an opportunity to help commercialize and scale an emerging business while having the support of RMI’s expertise and network. Once key milestones have been met, RMI intends to spin-out the business to enable A-round funding to be secured to rapidly expand into targeted markets.
If you have the qualifications and are excited to work in a climate- aligned business with an entrepreneurial business ambition, then make an impact with us!
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Energized about reducing carbon emissions!
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related field, or equivalent understanding of algorithms, performance, and systems design
- Experience with the following technologies:
- React, Vue, or Angular
- Spring Boot, Django, Node.js or similar framework
- C# or Java
- Dedicated to Continuous Improvement: You follow up on new ideas, develop and implement plans for improvement, and take personal responsibility for growth
- Collaborative & Team-Oriented: you develop and maintain effective relationships within diverse communities by building rapport, inviting feedback, and driving collective problem solving
- Experience with Ruby and/or Python
- Experience with MongoDB
- We offer a comprehensive benefits package including:
- Medical, Dental, Vision Insurance
- 403b Retirement Options (5% match immediately)
- Generous PTO
- Learning & Development opportunities
- Parental leave
- Life, AD&D, Short Term and Long-Term Disability
- Commuter and Wellness Benefits
The target median salary for this role is $79,000 - $93,000 in addition to a 5% bonus target. Salary to be determined by your education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity and alignment with market data.
*Please note this package is subject to change pending an internal review of this job description and duties. This will be discussed with your recruiter upon moving into the interview process.
At any of our RMI offices (Oakland, CA; Boulder or Basalt, CO; New York City; or Washington, D.C.), or Remote
Important Note: As a U.S. federal contractor, RMI must comply with requirements outlined Executive Order Ensuring Adequate COVID Safety Protocols for Federal Contractors. This Executive Order requires that all federal contractors and subcontractors mandate and verify that all U.S. based employees are fully vaccinated against COVID-19. If you are based in the U.S., you will be required to provide proof of full vaccination status as a condition of employment. You may request an accommodation for medical or religious reasons. If you are based outside of the U.S., this requirement does not apply.
Increasing the diversity of thought, perspectives, ideas, and opinions within RMI is a critical change element supporting our long-term sustainability and mission to build a clean, prosperous, and secure energy future.
We strive for a level of diversity that reflects the communities we serve. Achieving this—regardless of ability, race, ethnicity, ancestry, age, gender, sexual orientation, religion, marital status, socioeconomic class, educational attainment or other social identities—is critical to the success of each RMIer and collectively as an organization, ensuring that we:
- Have a different array of thinking that comes from diverse backgrounds and cultures, enabling us to solve some of the world’s greatest challenges.
- Strive for a culture of inclusion and belonging by treating others with dignity, respect and appreciation enabling them to feel welcomed, supported and valued.
- Effectively connect, communicate and build long-lasting relationships with decision makers, stakeholders and constituents within diverse communities.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
RMI is an independent nonprofit founded in 1982 that transforms global energy systems through market-driven solutions to align with a 1.5°C future and secure a clean, prosperous, zero-carbon future for all. We work in the world’s most critical geographies and engage businesses, policymakers, communities, and NGOs to identify and scale energy system interventions that will cut greenhouse gas emissions at least 50 percent by 2030. RMI has offices in Basalt and Boulder, Colorado; New York City; Oakland, California; Washington, D.C.; and Beijing.