Development Officer - Canary Media
Are you an experienced fundraising professional with a passion for journalism and the clean energy transition? Do you have a track record of successfully raising philanthropic gifts from individuals, family foundations, and other sources? Are you excited at the prospect of building a fundraising program for a new nonprofit from the ground up, while being part of a larger fundraising team? If so, apply to join our team!
Canary Media, an independent affiliate of RMI, is a one-year-old nonprofit media outlet covering the transition to clean energy. We are looking to hire a Development Officer who will join our parent organization RMI’s experienced fundraising team, leading the development and management of a portfolio of current and potential donors for Canary Media in coordination with RMI.
The primary focus will be on individual giving, where the Development Officer will cultivate major individual donors and play a key role in managing campaigns to solicit donations from Canary’s readers and listeners. The Development Officer will work closely with Canary’s staff to develop the fundraising strategy and case for support, while collaborating within RMI to leverage key existing relationships and contacts.
We seek a creative, energetic, ambitious people person who’ll embrace the challenge of establishing a new fundraising program for a young, dynamic organization. The right candidate won’t be afraid to aim high but will also feel right at home handling small details.
As a member of RMI’s fundraising team, this position may also have the opportunity to take part in or lead fundraising efforts for other RMI programs in the long term.
RMI and Canary Media have a dispersed workforce, so employees can work remotely from anywhere in the U.S., or they can work out of an RMI office in New York City, Washington, D.C., Oakland, Boulder or Basalt, Colorado.
We strongly encourage individuals from underrepresented groups to apply!
- Work closely with Canary Media leadership and RMI’s Development team to develop a fundraising strategy and plan for Canary and successfully execute them.
- Identify, qualify, solicit, and steward a portfolio of major donors that have the capacity to make gifts from $25,000 to $1 million or more.
- Advance individual and organizational relationships that result in large philanthropic contributions for Canary through personal visits, email correspondence, and telephone conversations with prospects and donors.
- Evaluate various gift opportunities and giving vehicles and recommend the most suitable approach for a particular donor at a particular point in time.
- Conceive and implement stewardship plan for current donors that builds a deep and committed relationship with Canary for continued and increased giving from donors.
- Develop and execute creative campaigns to solicit donations from Canary readers and listeners.
- Work with the Canary Media team to create compelling funding proposals and stewardship reports.
- Translate highly technical information into accessible written and verbal language that will compel donors to support key programs and projects.
- Develop and implement a wide array of donor engagement activities from virtual webinars to in-person events.
- Gather data, research prospects, and develop strategies to assess the current and lifetime giving potential of prospects.
- Work closely and collaboratively with RMI's development and finance teams and Canary Media’s editorial and operations teams to develop compelling materials that explain and promote our work.
- Write strong grant proposals and grant reports.
- Track and oversee grant reporting, accounting, and other deliverables.
- Use Salesforce database to document activities and relationships and develop financial projections.
- Prepare presentations, briefings and other communication documents, and design materials for meetings.
- In fulfilling these responsibilities, collaborate with the Canary team and the RMI fundraising team, serving as a liaison between them.
- Represent Canary Media and RMI at events to expand the organization’s network and cultivate donors.
- Serve as an active member of the RMI Development team; support the implementation of the Development team’s short- and long-term objectives; engage with the Development team by attending staff meetings and understanding and contributing to RMI’s development strategy and overall mission.
Minimum Education & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent
- 5+ years of work experience in non-profit development, with a track record of successful solicitation of philanthropic gifts of $50K+ from individual donors
- Experience in cultivating and ultimately stewarding the development of a pipeline of new donors
- Experience building and maintaining long-term relationships with constituents such as major donors and corporations
- Experience in asking for and closing six- to seven-figure gifts
- Experience in managing and tracking multiple prospects and donors
- Planned giving experience desired but not required
- Experience working in environment, climate or energy field
- Experience with or keen appreciation for journalism
- Strong interest in the clean energy transition and climate solutions
- Knowledge of Canary Media's and RMI’s missions and objectives as well as the principles and practices of non-profit organizations
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with Canary Media and RMI staff, Board members, community groups and other associated agencies
- Able to navigate and understand a complicated funding environment with the flexibility to change course quickly with a positive attitude
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written
- A collaborative nature and comfort asking questions and considering advice
- Ability to self-start and self-direct
- A positive attitude and sense of humor
- Availability for occasional travel
The salary range for this role is $81,000–$109,000. Salary to be determined by considering the applicant’s experience, knowledge, skills and abilities, as well as internal equity and alignment with market data.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package including:
- Medical, dental and vision insurance
- 403(b) retirement options (immediate 5% match)
- Life, AD&D, short-term and long-term disability insurance
- Generous paid time off
- Parental leave
We also offer a fully remote workplace and casual work environment.
As a U.S. federal contractor, RMI must comply with the Executive Order on Ensuring Adequate COVID Safety Protocols for Federal Contractors, which requires that federal contractors and subcontractors mandate and verify that U.S.-based employees are fully vaccinated against COVID-19. You will be required to provide proof of full vaccination status as a condition of employment. You may request an exemption for medical or religious reasons.
Please apply with a résumé and a cover letter describing your background and interest in this position.
The world needs all hands on deck to avert the worst of the climate crisis. That’s why Canary Media values diversity of backgrounds and perspectives when it comes to expanding our team and nurturing its culture. Candidates of all races, ethnicities, abilities, religions, sexes, sexual orientations, gender identities, national origins, socioeconomic classes, political persuasions, veteran statuses, or other identities are strongly encouraged to apply. Canary Media is an equal opportunity employer.
Canary Media is dedicated to providing an accessible environment for all candidates during the application process and for employees during their employment. If you need accessibility assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability, please submit a request to firstname.lastname@example.org. (Requests and calls received for non-disability-related issues, such as following up on an application, will not receive a response.)