Technical Manager, Strategy, Analysis, and Engagement
Are you an experienced researcher with intense curiosity and drive? Are you willing to take risks by exploring and testing new ideas? Do you have the exceptional ability to structure and oversee analytic and strategic problem solving? Can you create impact through influence? If yes, then join our growing team!
The SAE group’s mission is to catalyze and coordinate cutting-edge thought leadership activities at the edges and intersections of RMI programs. We apply systems-thinking approaches to the interlocking behavioral, technoeconomic, and institutional factors that influence the pace and direction of the energy transition and help the organization develop an overall view on pathways to limit global temperature rise to 1.5°C. We collaborate with all of RMI’s 14 programs and RMI’s executive team to deliver on emergent, high-impact opportunities that provide new and scaled opportunities for impact.
Our GHG removal effort is focused on greenhouse gas removal and storage techniques – and specifically working to make the possibilities, realities, interconnections, and critical-path priorities in this field more readily apparent for our partners (philanthropists, corporations, and policy makers). This team will work closely with our Carbon Markets & Offsets, First Gigaton Captured, and Climate Aligned Industries teams to help accelerate the responsible and effective scale-up of GHG removal efforts worldwide.
- Our Sr. Researchers are technical experts who are crafting visionary yet practical solutions for out partners and research. As Sr. Researcher at RMI, you will be a multidisciplinary contributor working on a diverse set of projects from white papers, to legislative text, to blogs an opinion pieces. You’re expected to be a leading voice on GHG Removal and stay up to date on new technologies and relevant legislation and market developments. As a Sr. Researcher at RMI you will work closely with RMI’s Managers, Principals and Managing Directors to design and execute projects. A Sr. Researcher at RMI: Is sometimes responsible for managing projects/guiding more junior Staff but is most often leading research efforts on GHG Removal pathways
- Contributes to strategy-level conversations about initiatives and RMI.
- Develops expertise in one area and is conversant in one or more additional areas.
- Represents RMI externally at mid-level technical events and for small to mid-sized groups.
- Work closely with the communications team to support thought leadership on topics related to GHG removal
- Provide thought leadership
- Work with academics, corporations, philanthropists, and governments to identify key areas of need and opportunity in the GHG removal space
- Develop strategies for scaling GHG removal globally
- Raise the ambitions of corporations, policy makers, and philanthropists
- Represent RMI as an industry expert at key conferences and other public speaking events
- Conduct primary research on GHG removal technologies
- Masters degree, equivalent, or higher, in sustainability, renewables procurement, environment, economics, engineering, geography, or energy-related discipline
- At least 5+ years of direct relevant experience
- Excellent time management, organization, entrepreneurship, and drive
- Strong critical thinking and thought leadership skills
- Proven ability to influence and catalyze change through the application of exceptional interpersonal, relationship building, and collaboration skills
- Advanced level degree
- Experience managing junior team members, including providing coaching and mentorship, and managing performance reviews
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Aware of industry news and latest developments regarding the GHG removal space
The position will remain remote.
RMI compensates based on the level and requirements of the role. Salary within our ranges may also be determined by your education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as required by the role, as well as internal equity and alignment with market data. Typically, new Managers based in the U.S. join at the minimum to mid salary range of $103,000-$121,000. You would also have an additional 10% bonus target!
We offer a comprehensive benefits package including:
• Medical, Dental, Vision Insurance
• 403b Retirement Options (5% match immediately)
• Generous PTO
• Learning & Development opportunities
• Parental leave
• Life, AD&D, Short Term and Long-Term Disability
• Commuter and Wellness Benefits
Increasing the diversity of thought, perspectives, ideas and opinions within RMI is a critical change element supporting our long-term sustainability and mission to build a clean, prosperous, and secure energy future.
We strive for a level of diversity that reflects the communities we serve. Achieving this—regardless of ability, race, ethnicity, ancestry, age, gender, sexual orientation, religion, veteran status, socioeconomic class, educational attainment or other social identities—is critical to the success of each RMIer and collectively as an organization. This ensures that we:
• Have the different array of thinking that comes from diverse backgrounds and cultures, enabling us to solve some of the world’s greatest challenges.
• Strive for a culture of inclusion and belonging by treating others with dignity, respect and appreciation enabling them to feel welcomed, supported and valued.
• Effectively connect, communicate and build long-lasting relationships with decision makers, stakeholders and constituents within diverse communities.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
RMI is an independent nonprofit founded in 1982 that transforms global energy systems through market-driven solutions to align with a 1.5°C future and secure a clean, prosperous, zero-carbon future for all. We work in the world’s most critical geographies and engage businesses, policymakers, communities, and NGOs to identify and scale energy system interventions that will cut greenhouse gas emissions at least 50 percent by 2030. RMI has offices in Basalt and Boulder, Colorado; New York City; Oakland, California; Washington, D.C.; and Beijing.