Technical Product Director
Are you a seasoned product and people leader passionate about making a positive impact on the planet? Do you enjoy plunging into unfamiliar disciplines and testing new ideas? Are you a collaborative and strong team player who can also be a respected change agent from within? Do you have a passion for RMI’s mission? If yes, then join our growing team!
We strongly encourage individuals from underrepresented groups to apply
RMI’s Climate Intelligence Program focuses on curating emissions and climate data while also translating data into actionable insights and tools for those best positioned to reduce emissions. We collaborate with a global network of businesses, financial institutions, and policymakers to deliver data and insights that are accurate, actionable, and real-time, ultimately enabling emissions reductions in some of the largest industrial sectors. Our work focuses not only on quantifying the risks of climate inaction, but also on identifying emerging opportunities to reduce emissions.
Within RMI’s Climate Intelligence Program, the Horizon Zero project team seeks to demystify greenhouse gas (GHG) accounting practices and to develop tools and insights that drive decarbonization. Accurately tracking global supply chain emissions is necessary to drive business decisions and strategies that lead to material emissions reductions. Through Horizon Zero, we will develop a blockchain-based GHG emissions reporting platform to address barriers to GHG data accuracy, traceability and visibility.
Principals are senior staff within RMI’s programs. You will play a leadership role in the Supply Chain Emissions initiative, the Climate Intelligence Program, and large individual projects or portfolios of projects such as Horizon Zero, of which you will be leading the delivery of the technical solution.
You will define the vision and drive the execution of a technical platform for supply chain GHG emissions accountability through a multi-year, multi-million-dollar project called Horizon Zero. You will be collaboratively conceiving, designing and implementing an open-source, GHG emissions traceability platform. This platform will be usable by anyone to define, track, and trace emissions, report disclosures, and trade differentiated commodities (i.e., physical goods + digital attributes). Building off of the work in Horizon Zero, you will also lead the creation of additional technology-based tools for other projects.
As a Principal, you will be a senior representative with clients and donors, and have significant accountability for initiative (and in some cases practice area) performance. You, other Principals on the team, and the Managing Directors are the primary external RMI representatives, and will be focused on building deep and leverageable networks. Additionally, you will collaborate with Managing Directors as well as other Principals to identify and develop new project work.
In this role, you would have significant responsibility for managing program staff, including conducting performance reviews, acting as a career advisor/mentor, and coordinating staffing decisions. You would have primary responsibility for managing, guiding, and developing junior staff, teaming with Managers to provide mentorship and coaching.
- Lead Horizon Zero’s technical solutions team and partner with collaborators to design, pilot, and scale an emissions traceability platform to help mitigate climate change.
- Formulate a framework to create and scale technical solutions across multiple projects, including outside of Horizon Zero.
- Co-develop a compelling strategy to accelerate the adoption of technical solutions together with fellow Principals and Managing Directors.
- Shape and deliver strategy program elements, coordinating small teams to deliver objectives. Oversight of teams includes some “roll-up your sleeves” work in nearly all projects, driving thought-leadership and execution through charismatic example.
- Perform business development, including philanthropic fundraising support, government grant management, and direct company fee-for-service project development.
- Develop and enhance RMI’s public reputation through regular publication, speaking, and external engagement on key topics critical to program success.
- Manage existing and proposed future program budgets.
- Support the development of team members and Institute through active involvement in leadership activities.
- Effectively communicate activities internally at RMI, including close coordination with other RMI electricity practice Principals and other staff.
- Support Managing Directors in interactions with RMI board.
- Stay abreast of the latest developments in climate tech.
- Be conversant in GHG accounting and market activation.
- 10+ years of professional experience in designing/developing software applications with an emphasis on project-based environments. Demonstrated success in identifying opportunities to create and successfully launch new products.
- Graduate degree or equivalent in a relevant field, with significant studies in both technical (software development/engineering/technology/) and markets (business/finance) preferred.
- Experience managing projects, processes, and strategies.
- Experience managing internal staff and external relationships.
- Experience with blockchain and web3 technologies.
- Familiarity with smart contract development: Solidity / Ethereum, Web3.js or Ethers.js library.
- Familiarity with open-source implementations of Ethereum: GETH, OpenEthereum, Quorum.
- Experience and familiarity with decentralized storage platforms such as IPFS, libp2p.
- Experience working with large codebases.
- Theoretical background in distributed systems, such as consensus algorithms, as well as cryptographic fundamentals.
- Cryptography, including multi-party computation or zero knowledge proof systems.
- Familiarity with open-source contributions.
- Experience in climate change mitigation, GHG accounting, and supply chain engagement.
It is recommended that you be based within reach of one of our offices in Oakland, CA, Washington, D.C., New York City, Boulder, or Basalt, Colorado. This will be discussed further throughout the interview process.
The target median salary for this role is $170,000. Salary to be determined by your education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity and alignment with market data. You would also have a 20% bonus target!
We offer a comprehensive benefits package adjusted to regional norms, including (for U.S. employment):
Medical, Dental, Vision Insurance
403b Retirement Options (5% match immediately)
Generous PTO and sick leave
Learning & Development opportunities (including unlimited LinkedIn Learning access)
Life, AD&D, Short Term and Long-Term Disability
Commuter and Wellness Benefits
Increasing the diversity of thought, perspectives, ideas and opinions within RMI is a critical change element supporting our long-term sustainability and mission to build a clean, prosperous, and secure energy future.
We strive for a level of diversity that reflects the communities we serve. Achieving this—regardless of ability, race, ethnicity, ancestry, age, gender, sexual orientation, religion, veteran status, socioeconomic class, educational attainment or other social identities—is critical to the success of each RMIer and collectively as an organization. This ensures that we:
- Have the different array of thinking that comes from diverse backgrounds and cultures, enabling us to solve some of the world’s greatest challenges.
- Strive for a culture of inclusion and belonging by treating others with dignity, respect and appreciation enabling them to feel welcomed, supported and valued.
- Effectively connect, communicate and build long-lasting relationships with decision makers, stakeholders and constituents within diverse communities.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
RMI is an independent nonprofit founded in 1982 that transforms global energy systems through market-driven solutions to align with a 1.5°C future and secure a clean, prosperous, zero-carbon future for all. We work in the world’s most critical geographies and engage businesses, policymakers, communities, and NGOs to identify and scale energy system interventions that will cut greenhouse gas emissions at least 50 percent by 2030. RMI has offices in Basalt and Boulder, Colorado; New York City; Oakland, California; Washington, D.C.; and Beijing.