Associate – Freight Decarbonization, India Program
Do you love solving challenging problems, writing and research, and working in groups? Do you also have the self-motivation, curiosity, creativity and ability to persuade others toward meaningful results? Are you passionate about the clean energy transition? If yes, then join our growing team!
We highly encourage individuals from underrepresented groups to apply!
RMI is seeking Associates (entry level research and collaboration positions) to support the India Program.
RMIers bring a variety of skillsets, and we welcome candidates with diverse educational and work backgrounds.
Since 2016, RMI has been working with the public and private sectors to build confidence and further commitment towards India’s clean energy and mobility targets. RMI has become a recognized brand and thought leader in integrated clean energy and mobility solutions in India. Our ongoing work includes national level policy support and technical assistance and deployment of regional pilots and implementation projects. Senior-level partnerships with government, private sector, and civil society organizations compliment and leverage RMI’s impact.
As an Associate, you are a creative problem solver who uses your quantitative, technical and analytical skills and abilities to conduct compelling research and facilitate a range of stakeholders and partners seeking to develop solutions that accelerate the decarbonization of India’s freight sector. You will collaborate with team members to craft visionary yet practical solutions for our research questions and clients. We expect self-motivation, curiosity, creativity, the ability to drive oneself and others toward meaningful results, a passion for the clean energy transition, and interest in international work.
As an RMI Associate, you will be an independent contributor and work closely with colleagues on projects under the direction of more senior staff. You will develop expertise in the content area of your specific program within RMI and can provide internal support to RMI on that topic.
Your key job responsibilities as an Associate primarily include:
- Provide core research, quantitative analysis, and support to our projects.
- Design and create innovative problem-solving approaches and quantitative models to effectively address key questions and challenges posed by our research goals and clients.
- Synthesize recommendations into clear and compelling presentations and written reports.
- Present quantitative information in a clear, visual format.
- Engage with external experts via phone interviews, conferences, and on occasion, respond to outreach requests.
- Undergraduate degree in an applicable field such as engineering, business, economics, computer science, mathematics, architecture, physical and social sciences.
- At the Associate level, 2+ years of cumulative work experience. Strong quantitative and problem-solving skills, including the ability to break down complex issues in a straightforward, logical manner.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Personal qualities: intellectual curiosity, flexible mindset, and a passion for impact and environmental sustainability.
- Interest in India and international development work.
- Familiarity and/or interest in energy, climate, transportation, and energy systems.
- Work experience and/or interest in the urban freight, supply chain or trucking sector
- Graduate degree in an applicable field.
- Comfort working in both collaborative team settings as well as independently managing multiple projects and priorities simultaneously.
- Willingness to plunge into new areas of work and to learn new subject matter.
Theposition will remain remote through the COVID-19 pandemic. Once the COVID-19situation improves, it is preferred that this role will be based out of one ofour offices in Oakland, CA, Washington, D.C., New York City, Boulder, orBasalt, Colorado. This will be discussed further throughout the interviewprocess.
RMI compensates based on the level and requirements of the role. Salary within our ranges may also be determined by your education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as required by the role, as well as internal equity and alignment with market data. Typically, new Associates join at the minimum to mid salary range of $70,000-$82,000. You would also have an additional 5% bonus target!
We offer a comprehensive benefits package adjusted to regional norms, including (for U.S. employment):
- Medical, dental, vision insurance
- 403b retirement options (5% match immediately)
- Life, AD&D, short-term and long-term disability
- Professional and personal development (including LinkedIn Learning access)
- Generous paid time off
- Parental leave
- Commuter and wellness benefits
- Casual work environment
Increasing the diversity of thought, perspectives, ideas and opinions within RMI is a critical change element supporting our long-term sustainability and mission to build a clean, prosperous, and secure energy future.
We strive for a level of diversity that reflects the communities we serve. Achieving this—regardless of ability, race, ethnicity, ancestry, age, gender, sexual orientation, religion, veteran status, socioeconomic class, educational attainment or other social identities—is critical to the success of each RMIer and collectively as an organization. This ensures that we:
Have the different array of thinking that comes from diverse backgrounds and cultures, enabling us to solve some of the world’s greatest challenges.
Strive for a culture of inclusion and belonging by treating others with dignity, respect and appreciation enabling them to feel welcomed, supported and valued.
Effectively connect, communicate and build long-lasting relationships with decision makers, stakeholders and constituents within diverse communities.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
RMI is an independent nonprofit founded in 1982 that transforms global energy systems through market-driven solutions to align with a 1.5°C future and secure a clean, prosperous, zero-carbon future for all. We work in the world’s most critical geographies and engage businesses, policymakers, communities, and NGOs to identify and scale energy system interventions that will cut greenhouse gas emissions at least 50 percent by 2030. RMI has offices in Basalt and Boulder, Colorado; New York City; Oakland, California; Washington, D.C.; and Beijing.