Research and Data Manager
Research and Data Manager
RMI is seeking a leader with expertise in leading and overseeing a research and data analytics team to support RMI’s 13 programs working to solve the climate crisis.
Individuals from underrepresented groups are strongly encouraged to apply!
RMI decarbonizes energy systems through rapid, market-based change in the world’s most critical geographies to align with a 1.5°C future and address the climate crisis. We work with businesses, policymakers, communities and other organizations to identify and scale energy system interventions that will cut greenhouse gas emissions at least 50% by 2030.
RMI is a knowledge-based organization, and it is critical for there to be a successful and robust knowledge management competency at the organization to improve the impact of our programs. As part of the KM function, RMI is building out a Research and Data Analytics team including hiring a Research and Data Manager. You will be on the Program Services Team and report directly to the Director of Knowledge Management, and you will collaborate directly with programmatic staff from across the organization. This is a new position which represents expanded core competencies and focus at RMI. A successful candidate will be a self-starter who commands a robust understanding of data and analytics.
- Partner with the Director of Knowledge Management to develop and implement a research and data analytics strategy
- Define the services and products that the research and data analytics team will produce, and process by which the team will collaborate with and support RMI’s 13 programs
- Support RMI in efficiently accessing and tracking up-to-date and relevant external information and data to build critical insights about the energy transition
- Keep senior leadership and the organization updated on relevant insights from new reports and data
- Work with stakeholders to ensure research is distributed effectively across programs
- Oversee and optimize enterprise level subscriptions, research and data sharing, and RMI libraries
- Collaboratively work across the organization, including with the Learning and Development Team
- Provide outstanding leadership and motivation a team of 2-5 while driving quality and accountability
- Build out the team to successfully support the organization
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university, or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- At least 5 years of directly relevant experience, such as in management consulting research and analytics, library science, industry analyst organizations, etc
- Knowledge of and experience understanding the energy sector, energy transition, and or climate change
- Experience in implementing and overseeing research and data analytics functions
- Proven ability to provide leadership, mentorship and build an internal culture
- Able to sustain focus on key priorities in a demanding environment of growth and change, while being responsive and nimble when needed and appropriate
- Must exhibit superb verbal and written communication skills with a high degree of comfort interpreting results and communicating insights effectively
- Good judgment and strong decision-making ability
- Passion for the mission of RMI
- Strong team and interpersonal skills and the ability to work independently
- Strong analytical and quantitative skills and strong problem-solving skills
- Extreme attention to detail and commitment to producing high quality work
- Demonstrated capability to present to audiences in a variety of international, cultural, and institutional settings
- The position will remain remote through the COVID-19 pandemic. Once the COVID-19 situation improves, it would be preferred, but not required, for this role to be based near one of our U.S. offices in Oakland, CA, Washington, D.C., New York City, Boulder, or Basalt, Colorado. This will be discussed further throughout the interview process.
- RMI compensates based on the level and requirements of the role. Salary within our ranges may also be determined by your education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as required by the role, as well as internal equity and alignment with market data. Typically, new Operations Managers join at the minimum to mid salary range of $79,000 to $93,000. You would also have an additional 10% bonus target!
We offer a comprehensive benefits package including:
- Medical, dental, vision insurance
- 403b retirement options (5% match immediately)
- Life, AD&D, short-term and long-term disability
- Professional and personal development (including LinkedIn Learning access)
- Generous paid time off
- Parental leave
- Commuter and wellness benefits
- Casual work environment
Increasing the diversity of thought, perspectives, ideas and opinions within RMI is a critical change element supporting our long-term sustainability and mission to build a clean, prosperous, and secure energy future.
We strive for a level of diversity that reflects the communities we serve. Achieving this—regardless of ability, race, ethnicity, ancestry, age, gender, sexual orientation, religion, veteran status, socioeconomic class, educational attainment or other social identities—is critical to the success of each RMIer and collectively as an organization. This ensures that we:
- Have the different array of thinking that comes from diverse backgrounds and cultures, enabling us to solve some of the world’s greatest challenges.
- Strive for a culture of inclusion and belonging by treating others with dignity, respect and appreciation enabling them to feel welcomed, supported and valued.
- Effectively connect, communicate and build long-lasting relationships with decision makers, stakeholders and constituents within diverse communities.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
RMI is an independent nonprofit founded in 1982 that transforms global energy systems through market-driven solutions to align with a 1.5°C future and secure a clean, prosperous, zero-carbon future for all. We work in the world’s most critical geographies and engage businesses, policymakers, communities, and NGOs to identify and scale energy system interventions that will cut greenhouse gas emissions at least 50 percent by 2030. RMI has offices in Basalt and Boulder, Colorado; New York City; Oakland, California; Washington, D.C.; and Beijing.