Operations Lead, Public Relations
RMI’s newly imagined marketing and communications team – known inside the institute as the Influence Team – is looking for a detail-oriented project manager to coordinate all aspects of communications planning and execution for a variety of projects across the organization. This person will also work closely with the media team to coordinate, track, and execute earned and social media campaigns, and thus experience in keeping and tracking media lists, media hits, and social content planning, production and publication is a plus. An ideal candidate for this position will have excellent project and time management skills, be a natural problem solver who can develop and tweak processes and workflows to seamlessly deliver top-quality content and products across our various programs, and have meticulous attention to detail.
In addition, you will be the steward of various social media and earned media elements of campaigns, ensuring they are delivered on time, on budget and on brand. You will also help oversee the social media and media relations portion of the Influence Team’s budget, including managing budgets for outside agencies and various digital tools, as well as accurately pricing earned and social media into restricted funding proposals.
In this role, you will report to the Head of Communications Operations, and will work closely with the Public Relations Director.
Individuals of underrepresented groups are strongly encouraged to apply!
- Act as project manager on assigned projects, collaborate cross functionally, guiding the group through all stages of a project (planning, implementation, reporting)
- Be an expert on all earned and social media processes and budgets, including content production, media outreach, agency support, etc.
- Provide strategic recommendations on how to improve and streamline processes related to earned and social media projects such as media monitoring, rapidly responding to daily breaking news and weekly news trends, identifying new target media and updating media lists and monitoring and reporting on key media metrics
- Set and coordinate production schedules for the Influence Team that works across RMI programs
- Review restricted grants proposals to ensure social media and media outreach is adequately scoped
- Generate and manage project timelines, including coordinating key milestones
- Initiate and lead all appropriate project meetings, and assist in preparing presentation materials as needed
- Organize the concepting of ideas, development, and execution
- Influence the efficiency and quality of work
- Monitor and enforce project constraints (schedule/scope/resources), while keeping the team on track and motivated
- Own project management/workflow system data entry, reporting, and actualization of project budget
- Monitor out of scope requests and initiate additional estimates and client approvals
- Prepare vendor bid packages as needed, generating estimates and securing client approvals on estimates and overages
- Provide content production oversight (press materials, social media materials, videos, photos, multimedia) along with production team lead for all stages of content development from creative concepting, planning, pre-pro, production and postproduction
- Manage vendors and talent on relevant projects, monitoring actual vs. budgeted costs
- Anticipate and flag project issues/risks and clearly communicate possible solutions
- 3-5 years experience as a project manager or producer (PR agency, newsroom, social media or digital marketing agency a plus)
- Possess a refined project management aptitude, and instinct for leadership
- Self-motivated and willing to expand knowledge
- Experience in generating budgets, staffing plans, and complex timelines
- Proficiency in project management tools
- Solution oriented self-starter with a positive “can-do” attitude
- Ability to quickly react and adapt to changing environments
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills
- Reliable, and can establish trust with their teams
- Organized and excited about process improvement
- Familiar with or interest in climate and energy topics and committed to scaling market-based solutions
This position will remain remote through the COVID-19 pandemic. Once the COVID-19 situation improves, it is expected that this role be located at one of our offices in New York City, Washington D.C., Oakland, CA, Basalt or Boulder, CO. This will be discussed further throughout the interview process.
Important Note As a U.S. federal contractor, RMI must comply with requirements outlined Executive Order Ensuring Adequate COVID Safety Protocols for Federal Contractors. This Executive Order requires that all federal contractors and subcontractors mandate and verify that all U.S. based employees are fully vaccinated against COVID-19. If you are based in the U.S., you will be required to provide proof of full vaccination status as a condition of employment. You may request an accommodation for medical or religious reasons. If you are based outside of the U.S., this requirement does not apply.
RMI compensates based on the level and requirements of the role. Salary within our ranges may also be determined by your education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as required by the role, as well as internal equity and alignment with market data. Typically, new Leads based in the U.S. join at the minimum to mid-range salary of$57,000-$67,000. You would also have an additional 5% bonus target!
We offer a comprehensive benefits package including:
- Medical, dental, vision insurance
- 403b retirement options (5% match immediately)
- Life, AD&D, short-term and long-term disability
- Professional and personal development (including LinkedIn Learning access)
- Generous paid time off
- Parental leave
- Commuter and wellness benefits
- Casual work environment
Increasing the diversity of thought, perspectives, ideas and opinions within RMI is a critical change element supporting our long-term sustainability and mission to build a clean, prosperous, and secure energy future.
We strive for a level of diversity that reflects the communities we serve. Achieving this—regardless of ability, race, ethnicity, ancestry, age, gender, sexual orientation, religion, veteran status, socioeconomic class, educational attainment or other social identities—is critical to the success of each RMIer and collectively as an organization. This ensures that we:
- Have the different array of thinking that comes from diverse backgrounds and cultures, enabling us to solve some of the world’s greatest challenges.
- Strive for a culture of inclusion and belonging by treating others with dignity, respect and appreciation enabling them to feel welcomed, supported and valued.
- Effectively connect, communicate and build long-lasting relationships with decision makers, stakeholders and constituents within diverse communities.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
RMI is an independent nonprofit founded in 1982 that transforms global energy systems through market-driven solutions to align with a 1.5°C future and secure a clean, prosperous, zero-carbon future for all. We work in the world’s most critical geographies and engage businesses, policymakers, communities, and NGOs to identify and scale energy system interventions that will cut greenhouse gas emissions at least 50 percent by 2030. RMI has offices in Basalt and Boulder, Colorado; New York City; Oakland, California; Washington, D.C.; and Beijing.