Manager - Steel and Hydrogen- Climate Aligned Industries
Do you love solving challenging problems, driving systemic change and leading transformative collaborations? Are you passionate about working with industrial players to address climate change? Do you have experience in industrial decarbonization or new energy vectors? If yes, then join our growing team!
Individuals from underrepresented groups are strongly encouraged to apply!
The Climate Aligned Industry Program at RMI is focused on decarbonizing the harder-to-abate sectors, implementing market mechanisms and supporting policy implementation to limit global warming to 1.5 °C. It currently brings together heavy industry sectors (steel, shipping, aviation, cement, and chemicals) with our cross-cutting green hydrogen initiative (The Green Hydrogen Catapult). Our work on steel decarbonization focuses on two pathways for impact: (1) growing green steel and (2) exploring mechanisms for demand reduction and circularity. This role will be helping to lead the scaling of green steel (predominantly green-hydrogen-based steelmaking), working closely with our Green Hydrogen Catapult members and Green Steel project developers for regional impact.
As a Manager, you should be a team leader and program manager – willing to roll up your sleeves to conduct innovative analysis, but also able to operate at a high-level with key stakeholders both within and outside of RMI. You will be an adept communicator, with technical industrial expertise and will feel comfortable building relationships with senior managers from industry and civil society organizations, as well as regional governments and regulators. You will be accustomed to working under time pressure, including meeting or exceeding targets under changing circumstances and uncertainty (e.g. lead organizational changes, deal with functional complexities, spearhead political and regulatory changes, drive alignment of interests within diverse group of external players, etc.).
You will report to the Manager of the Green Steel Initiative and work closely with other senior RMI leaders in the Climate Aligned Industries team, Carbon Free Electricity Team and Regional Teams (US, China, India, Global South), as well the Mission Possible Partnership. Understanding of North American, European, and Asian political systems, including regulatory environments, is preferred. Previous experience working with heavy industry, preferably iron and steel-making sector, is required.
- Provide thought leadership and lead techno-economic analysis on decarbonization solution pathways for steel
- Develop strategies for shaping local markets (policy frameworks, subsidy mechanisms, mandates, market mobilization etc.)
- Lead development with partners and green steel project developers (i.e for hydrogen hub integration)
- Manage timelines, colleagues, and processes inside and outside of RMI, to achieve objectives on time.
- Manage a team of 1-3 associates, provide professional mentorship, structure, and work product management
- Collaborate with our development team to progress funding strategies
- Lead and contribute on to leadership efforts through research and publications
- Represent RMI as an industry expert at key conferences and other public events including interviews and publication
- Traveling (some, mostly within North America, Europe and Asia) to and from in-person stakeholder meetings (once public health conditions allow)
- Support and deliver other projects and tasks as needed, in line with skills and experience that contribute to RMI’s overall organizational objectives
- Commitment to working in close collaboration with partners in industry and civil society to achieve net-zero greenhouse gas emissions from steel-making
- Bachelor’s degree required (in an applicable field such as engineering, economics, or physical sciences). Master’s degree, or equivalent experience, in sustainability, economics, engineering, or energy-related discipline.
- Minimum 5 years of professional experience in fields related to resource development (e.g metals and mining, energy)
- Familiarity with steel production pathways and sector decarbonization opportunities
- Experience leading teams and managing complex project portfolios
- Evidence of good written, verbal, and interpersonal skills
- Experience designing and managing analytical models
- A passion for working collaboratively to advance market-based solutions to climate change
- Experience managing complex and diverse groups, particularly in the project commissioning or in project development Experience working across multiple geographies, emerging markets in addition to mature steel industries
- Experience managing complex and diverse groups, particularly in the project commissioning or in project development
- Experience working across multiple geographies, emerging markets in addition to mature steel industries
- Deep connections across nonprofit and business ecosystem – global industrial companies especially in the hard-to-abate sectors and manufacturing
We invite candidates with a variety of skillsets, educational and work backgrounds. Ideal start date is in March of 2022.
The position will remain remote through the COVID-19 pandemic. Once the COVID-19 situation improves, it is preferred that you will co-locate with the team in any of the U.S. offices (Oakland, CA, Washington, D.C., New York City, Boulder or Basalt, Colorado, or Houston, TX). This will be discussed further throughout the interview process.
Important Note: As a U.S. federal contractor, RMI must comply with requirements outlined Executive Order Ensuring Adequate COVID Safety Protocols for Federal Contractors. This Executive Order requires that all federal contractors and subcontractors mandate and verify that all U.S. based employees are fully vaccinated against COVID-19. If you are based in the U.S., you will be required to provide proof of full vaccination status as a condition of employment. You may request an accommodation for medical or religious reasons. If you are based outside of the U.S., this requirement does not apply.
RMI compensates based on the level and requirements of the role. Salary within our ranges may also be determined by your education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as required by the role, as well as internal equity and alignment with market data. Typically, new Managers based in the U.S. join at the minimum to mid salary range of $103,000-$121,000. You could also have an additional 10% bonus target!
We offer a comprehensive benefits package, adjusted to regional norms, including (for US employment):
- Medical, Dental, Vision Insurance
- 403b Retirement Options (5% match immediately)
- Generous PTO
- Learning & Development opportunities
- Parental leave
- Life, AD&D, Short Term and Long-Term Disability
- Commuter and Wellness Benefits
Diversity of our workforce is one of our core values at RMI and we strive to achieve a level of diversity within our organization that reflects the communities that we serve. Achieving this diversity—whether of race, gender, sexual orientation, or ability—is critical to our long-term success, ensuring that we:
Have the diversity of thinking that comes from diverse backgrounds and cultures, enabling us to solve some of the world’s greatest challenges
Have a culture of inclusion and respect that enables us to attract and keep diverse talent
Can secure the talent that we need with access to the full talent pool
Can relate to decision makers within diverse communities
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
RMI is an independent nonprofit founded in 1982 that transforms global energy systems through market-driven solutions to align with a 1.5°C future and secure a clean, prosperous, zero-carbon future for all. We work in the world’s most critical geographies and engage businesses, policymakers, communities, and NGOs to identify and scale energy system interventions that will cut greenhouse gas emissions at least 50 percent by 2030. RMI has offices in Basalt and Boulder, Colorado; New York City; Oakland, California; Washington, D.C.; and Beijing.