Marketing and Communications Lead- Carbon-Free Buildings
At RMI, we know how important it is during the holiday season to spend time with family and friends, get much-needed rest and relaxation and recharge for the coming year. That’s why our employees receive a paid holiday from Christmas through New Year’s Day to do just that! If you are applying to this position, you may not hear from us over the coming weeks. Not to worry! We won’t forget about you and will be in touch after the new year. Happy Holidays!
RMI is seeking a Marketing and Communications Lead to support the creation and execution of communications plans that drive the conversation around climate action and the energy transition. They will make use of diverse digital channels and media to advance the goals of the Carbon-Free Buildings team and target key audiences and stakeholders, such as policymakers, media, and the public.
A successful hire will be a strong team player who enjoys bringing communications strategies to life by leveraging RMI data, research, and subject matter experts on the Carbon-Free Buildings team. In addition, the Marketing and Communications Lead will partner with RMI editorial, design, traditional and digital media, and web to develop the most effective messages and campaigns.
RMI’s Carbon-Free Buildings program seeks to transform the built environment to be efficient, free of fossil fuels, powered by renewable energy and constructed with low carbon materials. Not only should buildings be carbon-free but they should create healthy and affordable spaces that allow families and communities to thrive and are accessible to all. Through communications we aim to bring this vision to life and inspire action to make it a reality.
An ideal candidate will have 3 to 5 years of experience in communications, marketing, or journalism, with a passion for storytelling. A strong connection to RMI’s mission and expertise in the energy system is highly desired. This position reports directly to the Strategic Communications Manager.
Individuals of underrepresented groups are strongly encouraged to apply!
Application Deadline: December 17, 2021Specific Roles and Responsibilities
- Manage communications projects from inception to completion, working with editorial, design, and media to ensure projects are completed on time and in line with requirements
- Strategize with clear goals, target audiences, and tactical paths forward to execute a project
- Build media lists for the overall team and specific projects
- Identify new reporters to proactively connect with
- Write press releases and pitches for reporters
- Draft op-eds, blogs, statements, and other forms of thought leadership for key program spokespeople
- Compile key statistics and research to inform messages and communications products
- Manage and grow the team social media channels and digital presence
- Advise and maintain LinkedIn and other social platforms for key program spokespeople to increase the team leadership’s public presence
- Identify stories that advance RMI’s overall brand goals
- Proactively leverage news-making moments, milestones, and impacts to drive awareness and interest in the program with target audiences, influencers, donors, policymakers, and decision makers
- Maintain editorial calendar in conjunction with Marketing Lead/Specialist to ensure all program communications activities are coordinated, including things like internal and external publications, speaking engagements, media pitching, and digital and social media campaigns
- Help develop and report against metrics of success and track activities against outcomes and impact
- 3 to 5 years of experience in communications, public relations, marketing, or journalism disciplines
- Excellent initiative, follow-through, and project management skills
- Strong writing, editing, and verbal communications skills, including communicating at different levels of depth (more in-depth for industry audiences; simplified for lay audiences)
- Passion for storytelling and messaging around complex issues
- Experience strategizing and managing digital campaigns, social media channels, and/or email marketing
- Experience working with reporters is a plus, experience with Salesforce is a plus
- Meticulous attention to detail
- A strong team player with excellent interpersonal/collaborative skills with staff and counterparts at all organizational levels and with external partners
- Passion for RMI's mission and theory of change
This position can remain remote through the COVID-19 pandemic. Once the COVID-19 situation improves, we will remain flexible on location—with a preference that the successful candidate would live near one of RMI’s U.S. locations; New York, NY; Washington, DC; Boulder, CO; Basalt, CO; or Oakland, CA.
Important Note: As a U.S. federal contractor, RMI must comply with requirements outlined Executive Order Ensuring Adequate COVID Safety Protocols for Federal Contractors. This Executive Order requires that all federal contractors and subcontractors mandate and verify that all U.S. based employees are fully vaccinated against COVID-19. If you are based in the U.S., you will be required to provide proof of full vaccination status as a condition of employment. You may request an accommodation for medical or religious reasons. If you are based outside of the U.S., this requirement does not apply.
The salary range for this position is $63,000-$74,000. Salary will be determined by the applicant’s education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity and alignment with market data. This role has an additional 5% bonus target!
We offer a comprehensive benefits package including:
- Medical, Dental, Vision Insurance
- 403b Retirement Options (5% match, with no vesting schedule)
- Life, AD&D, Short Term and Long-Term Disability
- Commuter and Wellness Benefits
- Professional and personal development (including LinkedIn Learning access)
- Generous paid time off
- Parental leave
- Casual work environment
We strive for a level of diversity that reflects the communities we serve. Achieving this—regardless of ability, race, ethnicity, ancestry, age, gender, sexual orientation, religion, veteran status, socioeconomic class, educational attainment or other social identities—is critical to the success of each RMI-er and collectively as an organization. This ensures that we:
- Have the different array of thinking that comes from diverse backgrounds and cultures, enabling us to solve some of the world’s greatest challenges
- Strive for a culture of inclusion and belonging by treating others with dignity, respect and appreciation enabling them to feel welcomed, supported and valued
- Effectively connect, communicate, and build long-lasting relationships with decision makers, stakeholders and constituents within diverse communities
Increasing the diversity of thought, perspectives, ideas, and opinions within RMI is a critical change element supporting our long-term sustainability and mission to build a clean, prosperous, and secure energy future.
RMI is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
RMI is an independent nonprofit founded in 1982 that transforms global energy systems through market-driven solutions to align with a 1.5°C future and secure a clean, prosperous, zero-carbon future for all. We work in the world’s most critical geographies and engage businesses, policymakers, communities, and NGOs to identify and scale energy system interventions that will cut greenhouse gas emissions at least 50 percent by 2030. RMI has offices in Basalt and Boulder, Colorado; New York City; Oakland, California; Washington, D.C.; and Beijing. RMI-India, a sister organization, has an office in New Delhi.