Associate / Senior Associate - Climate Aligned Finance, Aviation
At RMI, we know how important it is during the holiday season to spend time with family and friends, get much-needed rest and relaxation, and recharge for the coming year. That’s why our employees receive a paid holiday from Christmas through New Year’s Day to do just that! If you are applying to this position, you may not hear from us over the coming weeks. Not to worry! We won’t forget about you and will be in touch after the new year. Happy Holidays!
Do you love solving challenging problems, thinking analytically, and working in groups? Are you interested in using finance to drive decarbonization across industrial sectors? Do you have a passion for fighting climate change?
RMI’s Center for Climate-Aligned Finance is seeking an Associate or Senior Associate (entry and mid-level research and collaboration positions) to join our sectoral team in the development of a climate-aligned finance agreement for the aviation sector. RMIers bring a variety of skillsets, and we welcome candidates with diverse educational and work backgrounds. We will carefully review each application to determine the appropriate starting position level (Associate or Senior Associate), and this will be communicated during the interview process.
Application Deadline: 5pm Mountain Time on December 10, 2021
As an Associate or Senior Associate, you are a creative problem solver who uses your analytical abilities to conduct compelling research and assessment to support finance-sector climate action. This position will initially be part of the Center’s work on a climate-alignment agreement for aviation, but will not be exclusive to aviation, and Associates are expected to transition between sectors as the Center’s work progresses.
As an RMI Associate, you will be an independent contributor and work closely with colleagues on projects under the direction of more senior staff. You will develop expertise in the content area of your specific program within RMI and will provide subject-matter support on that topic to other RMIers.
Your key job responsibilities as an Associate primarily include:
- Provide analysis, research, and support to our projects.
- Evaluate sectoral decarbonization initiatives, techno-economic roadmaps, and emissions metrics.
- Synthesize recommendations into clear and compelling presentations and written reports.
- Engage with external experts via phone interviews, conferences, and on occasion, respond to outreach requests.
Your key responsibilities as a Senior Associate include the above, and:
- Structure and guide the work of more junior team members.
- Facilitate discussions and activities during workshops with external stakeholders.
- Apply experience and expertise in evaluating and designing financial or technical decarbonization initiatives.
- Contribute publicly at conferences, share expertise in response to media requests, discuss our work with donors, and direct RMI research collaborations.
- A graduate degree or equivalent experience in an applicable field such as engineering (mechanical, electrical, civil, energy), environmental science, business, economics, or other physical and social sciences; OR undergraduate degree and 2-4 years of cumulative work experience and excellent work references
- Familiarity with climate change issues and decarbonization efforts
- Ability and willingness to engage with financial and technical material, and provide qualitative and quantitative evaluation of existing initiatives and roadmaps
- Understanding of basic business and finance concepts
- Strong writing skills
- Self-motivation and ability to work independently
- Ideal candidates will have experience either in climate finance, including carbon accounting, sustainability initiatives, and banking; OR in engineering and industry, including quantitative modeling, project management, or related areas
- Understanding of corporate environmental frameworks (e.g., Science-based targets, GHG Protocol, CDP, SASB)
- Knowledge of the aviation industry, including airline operations, aircraft finance, aircraft retrofits and efficiency, is valued but not required
- Ability to listen actively, be diplomatic, and share knowledge and information well
- Willingness to plunge into unfamiliar disciplines and take risks by exploring and testing new ideas
- Experience working among diverse groups with varying perspectives and/or facilitating challenging conversations
- Demonstrated initiative and accomplishment in previous work
These positions can remain remote through the COVID-19 pandemic. Once the COVID-19 situation improves, it is expected that the successful candidates will live near one of RMI’s U.S. locations New York, NY; Washington, DC, Boulder, CO; Basalt, CO or be located in London, UK.
Important Note: As a U.S. federal contractor, RMI must comply with requirements outlined Executive Order Ensuring Adequate COVID Safety Protocols for Federal Contractors. This Executive Order requires that all federal contractors and subcontractors mandate and verify that all U.S. based employees are fully vaccinated against COVID-19. If you are based in the U.S., you will be required to provide proof of full vaccination status as a condition of employment. You may request an accommodation for medical or religious reasons. If you are based outside of the U.S., this requirement does not apply.
- The starting Associate level salary range is $70,000-$82,000 with a 5% bonus target. This is based on experience that will be vetted through the interview process.
- The starting Senior Associate level salary is $79,000-$93,000 with a 5% bonus target. This is based on experience that will be vetted through the interview process.
This role has an additional 5% annual bonus target!
We offer a comprehensive benefits package including:
- Medical, dental, vision insurance
- 403b retirement options (5% match immediately)
- Life, AD&D, short-term and long-term disability
- Professional and personal development (including LinkedIn Learning access)
- Generous paid time off
- Parental leave
- Commuter and wellness benefits
- Casual work environment
Increasing the diversity of thought, perspectives, ideas, and opinions within RMI is a critical change element supporting our long-term sustainability and mission to build a clean, prosperous, and secure energy future.
We strive for a level of diversity that reflects the communities we serve. Achieving this—regardless of ability, race, ethnicity, ancestry, age, gender, sexual orientation, religion, veteran status, socioeconomic class, educational institution or other social identities—is critical to the success of each RMIer and collectively as an organization. This ensures that we:
- Have the different array of thinking that comes from diverse backgrounds and cultures, enabling us to solve some of the world’s greatest challenges.
- Strive for a culture of inclusion and belonging by treating others with dignity, respect and appreciation enabling them to feel welcomed, supported and valued.
- Effectively connect, communicate and build long-lasting relationships with decision makers, stakeholders and constituents within diverse communities.
RMI is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
RMI is an independent nonprofit founded in 1982 that transforms global energy systems through market-driven solutions to align with a 1.5°C future and secure a clean, prosperous, zero-carbon future for all. We work in the world’s most critical geographies and engage businesses, policymakers, communities, and NGOs to identify and scale energy system interventions that will cut greenhouse gas emissions at least 50 percent by 2030. RMI has offices in Basalt and Boulder, Colorado; New York City; Oakland, California; Washington, D.C.; and Beijing.