Summer 2022 Internships
Develop Your Future with RMI!
Do you love solving dynamic problems, thinking in numbers and working in groups? Do you also have the self-motivation, curiosity, creativity and ability to persuade others toward meaningful results? Are you passionate about making the world a better place? If yes, then be an RMI intern this summer!
Individuals from underrepresented groups are strongly encouraged to apply!
Full consideration will be given to applications received by January 25th, 2022.
We will not start the application review process until January. Due to the large number of applications received, it may take 8 weeks from the time we start reviewing to receive a response. We are working diligently and appreciate your patience.
Internships are 11-12 weeks in duration with the option to start on May 16th, 2022 or June 20th 2022.
If you have issues submitting your application or uploading your documents, please email email@example.com. You will receive an email shortly after you apply confirming your application has been received - this can go to spam, so please be sure to check there if it is missing.
Program Internship Descriptions:
You will be asked to select one program for primary consideration, and one program for secondary consideration out of the following areas; however, your application will be generally considered for all open internship positions on this posting. Initiatives and preliminary projects listed are subject to change. We will have in-person, remote, and hybrid opportunities, as well as full (40 hours/week) and part-time (~20 hours/week) options depending on the role. We have opportunities for both undergraduate or graduate students.
Carbon-Free Buildings (40 hour/week opportunities)
- Building Electrification
- Intern Focuses:
- Explore the role of geothermal heating in the equitable decarbonization of buildings in the Midwest: Equity & partnerships, building decarbonization, research utility transition and appliance standards, policy analysis, geothermal heating, energy cost analysis, and more.
- Use policy expertise, research, and collaboration to make recommendations that will help California policymakers design zero-emission appliance standards to promote equitable building electrification.
- Help our health and air quality team expand our Health Professionals Toolkit to help the health community engage in the building decarbonization movement.
- Open to all US locations
- Portfolio Energy Optimization
- Intern focus: Help commercialize software designed to support investment decisions to transition commercial and multi-family building portfolios to zero-carbon-over-time by refining our energy modeling and analytics, developing reference databases, and supporting pilot projects.
- Boulder or remote
- Pathways to Zero
- Intern Focuses:
- Support of the India Carbon Free Buildings work. Tasks will include analysis of the effectiveness various policies and technologies to be recommended.
- Assist in the "Embodied Carbon Initiative" to with generation of fiscal analysis of the investment potential of embodied carbon, and also to work with the Frankenthaler Climate Initiative promoting energy efficiency in visual art museums.
- NY, Boulder, or remote
- Intern Focus: Research cutting-edge approaches to housing retrofits, using tools including research, literature review, and interviews with practitioners. Research should include the new insulation and air sealing approaches, including new materials that have not yet been brought to market. Background in building science a plus!
- Oakland or remote
Carbon-Free Electricity (40 hour/week opportunities)
- Managing the Coal Capital Transition
- Transmission electrification impacts on the grid, global coal though leadership, financial modeling, in-country support, fossil fact base, demand response and more.
- Clean Competitive Grids
- Support answering the question "How can the US grid plan the transmission and distribution need to meet rapidly growing demand from end use electrification?"
- Global Coal Transition
- Provide modeling and financial analysis in support of the development of innovative coal transition mechanisms that can enable the accelerated shift from coal to clean energy, with a focus on SE Asian countries and power markets.
- Clean Energy Portfolios
- This intern will use their programming (e.g., Python) and analytical skills to support RMI's efforts around expanding the use of open-source grid simulation tools.
- Business Models & Regulatory Design
- Work on frameworks for utility innovation, business model reform tools to support equity and customer affordability, rate design, and more.
- Utility Transition Finance
- You will work to design and implement a new data, analytic, or visualization functionality element to our Utility Transition Hub. The Utility Transition Hub is a free data tool presenting cleaned and analyzed utility financial and operational data. The intern for this team will be working with the development team to build out new community metrics for the tool
- Any US locations or remote in US time zones
Carbon-Free Mobility (40 hour/week opportunities)
- Colorado offices or possibly Oakland
China Program (Beijing office, full and part-time opportunities)
- Energy Transition for Harder-to-Abate Sectors
- Support State-owned Assets Supervision and Administration Commission to accelerate Chinese State Owned Enterprise's decarbonization actions & work with China Hydrogen Alliance to support China building 100GW green hydrogen capacity by 2030
- Power Team
- Intern Focus: Monitor and analyze the clean power related policy in China and global. Pay close attention to the EV-Grid integration market.
- Subnational Decarbonization Demonstration
- Intern Focus: analyze zero-carbon heating pathway and innovative business model for Yangtze River Delta Region.
- Support the tracking and analyzing of policies that may affect corporate and supply chain decarbonization actions.
Climate-Aligned Industries (Full and part-time opportunities)
- CAI – General
- Intern Focus: Conduct market research and support in outreach and engagement for the Climate Aligned Industries' team addressing the hardest challenges in the energy transition - heavy industry decarbonization.
- Intern Focus: Support the Hydrogen team in developing leading edge tools and market deployment opportunities to scale zero-carbon hydrogen.
- US locations or remote in EU or similar time zones
- Intern Focus: Help RMI accelerate the transition to net zero air travel by supporting the work we do to develop demand signals and catalyze investment sustainable aviation fuel.
- US locations or remote
Climate Finance Access Network (Full and part-time opportunities)
- Intern Focus: Research, literature reviews, and analysis, assist with workshops, social media management and strategy: looking for a creative, solutions-oriented contributor who helps the team turn research and data into compelling stories and critical takeaways.
- NY, Boulder, or remote options
Climate Intelligence (Full and part-time opportunities)
- Oil & Gas Solutions
- OCI+ & Climate TRACE (data), Python & SQL coding experience required
- Applying data analytics and data science tools to analyze oil and gas supply chain emission data.
- Flexible/remote location
- Refining & Petrochemicals
- Analyze the plastic supply chain and identify technological improvements as well as pilot opportunities for tracking emissions through the supply chain.
- Location: Boulder, NYC, or remote
- Supply Chains
- Intern Focus: Work alongside the Coalition on Materials Emissions Transparency to better define rules for eco label development in industrial supply chains.
- NY, CO, DC, Beijing location options
- Intern Focus: Work with partners in the Energy Web Foundation to design digital and distributed ledger systems to hold Greenhouse Gas information on assets and products in industrial supply chains.
- NY, CO, DC, Beijing location options
Energy Transition Academy (40 hour/week opportunities)
- Intern Focus: Assist in planning and strategy for the launch of the Global South climate leadership accelerator and other energy leadership events—gather program learning resources, support creation of learning materials, and create compelling program content with communications team.
- DC, Boulder, or remote locations
Global Climate Finance (40 hour/week opportunities)
- Center For Climate-Aligned Finance
- Intern Focus: Do research & analysis, write, practice finance, use Excel, PowerPoint, and present to support the Center: Support the Center's Insights Team to accelerate climate alignment in the financial sector through the development of open-source analysis and practical resources.
- NY, DC, Boulder locations
Global South (Full and part-time opportunities)
- Africa Energy Program
- Intern Focuses: Sub-Saharan Africa, minigrids and productive uses increasing clean energy access and local development, energy transition for developing countries; research, literature reviews, data collection and analysis, social media management and strategy.
- Minigrid data: Using R scripts to translate gigabytes of hourly smart meter data from Nigerian minigrids into automated, actionable reports for minigrid developers and partners.
- Communications: Tracking analytics for social media campaigns for the Africa Energy Program, researching newsletter topics, and building media contact lists.
- Electric Vehicles: Conducting desk research and stakeholder consultations to develop the baseline of e-mobility market status and opportunities for Sub-Saharan Africa country/countries.
- Flexible/remote location
- Islands Energy Program
- Intern Focus: Investigate and analyze the links between energy system resilience, energy equity, and climate change impacts in the Caribbean region; to investigate and analyze the tariff impacts of various clean energy and microgrid business models and regulatory structures in the Caribbean region.
- Flexible/remote location
India Program (40 hour/week opportunities)
- Passenger Mobility & Freight Transport
- Intern Focus: Communications & Social Media, research zero-emission trucks & financing instruments for electric vehicles
- Colorado offices or remote options
Strategic Analysis & Engagement Group (Full and part-time opportunities)
- Global Pathways or Ambition Accelerator
- Intern Focus: Support a new initiative that seeks to synthesize and curate the volume of knowledge on mitigation pathways to limiting warming to 1.5C degrees for corporate and policy decision makers. This will include a focus on how non-linear change and feedbacks, such as technology learning curves, create opportunities that far outweigh the costs.
- US offices preferred +/- 2 time zones from Mountain Time
Third Derivative (Full and part-time opportunities)
Third Derivative (D3) is an accelerator formed by RMI and New Energy Nexus to fund and scale early-stage climate technologies globally. Flexible/remote locations for all Third Derivative initiatives.
- Research and Insights Team
- Intern Focus: Use techno-economic analysis to develop investment theses, research startups, map competitive landscapes, and select startups for D3's accelerator program.
- Investments and Funds Team
- Intern Focus: Support investment analysis for D3's cohort selection process, portfolio management of D3's seed-stage accelerator funds, and external communications with D3's venture capital fund partner: support the design of critical processes to streamline venture capital investment into promising climate-tech startups.
- Marketing/ Business Development
- Intern Focus: Work on growth marketing, development of sales pipelines and targets, or development of new products and offerings to help grow D3's business and reach a wider audience.
- Ecosystem Success Team
- Intern Focus: Identify the needs facing our startups based on data analysis and then develop and execute on programming to support the startups in scaling their technologies.
Urban Transformation (40 hour/week opportunities)
- American Cities Climate Challenge Renewables Accelerator, Vehicle Miles Traveled Reduction, Texas, India Cooling
- Intern Focuses: Work on modeling and mapping the impacts of changed transportation and land use in cities, researching low-cost strategies for sustainable cooling in India, and coordinating Texas cities on a statewide communication strategy for energy legislative reform.
US Program (40 hour/week opportunities)
- Beyond Carbon: State Ambition or Analysis
- Intern Focus: Support states pass ambitious climate policy, developing policy solutions.
- Intern Focus: Support states access federal resources, simulate energy policy development, analyze jobs and equity for State Ambition - use your Python & Tableau skills.
- NY, DC, Boulder or remote
- America Is All In
- Intern Focus: Support coalition coordination & engagement, analytical research, and/or subnational convenings
- NY, DC, or Boulder
- Federal Policy
- Work will focus on supporting the federal policy team to utilize RMI thought leadership across the institute to support creation of the most impactful federal climate policies.
Use separate posting to apply for Operations internships: Communications, Information Technology, and Program Services
- You should be pursuing a graduate or undergraduate degree in a related field and have basic knowledge of one or more of the teams’ focus areas—energy efficiency; renewable energy; demand-side management; building science and energy modeling; efficient and low carbon light duty cars and truck design; or transportation logistics.
- Where applicable, you should be comfortable working with, or reporting on, numerical analysis and spreadsheet modeling, research and reporting.
- Clear writing, communication and presentation skills.
· Intense curiosity
· Self-motivated and able to work independently
· Willingness to plunge into unfamiliar disciplines
· Creativity and willingness to take risks by exploring and testing new ideas
· Passion for making the world better
Interns will either be asked to work in the same office as your immediate supervisor if conditions are agreed to be safe by all parties or the internship will otherwise be offered remotely – details to be determined as more is known about the COVID-19 global pandemic. All our U.S.-based internships were successfully conducted remotely in Summer 2021.
Important Note: As a U.S. federal contractor, RMI must comply with requirements outlined Executive Order Ensuring Adequate COVID Safety Protocols for Federal Contractors. This Executive Order requires that all federal contractors and subcontractors mandate and verify that all U.S. based employees are fully vaccinated against COVID-19. If you are based in the U.S., you will be required to provide proof of full vaccination status as a condition of employment. You may request an accommodation for medical or religious reasons. If you are based outside of the U.S., this requirement does not apply.
Office locations: New York City, New York; Washington, D.C.; Oakland, California; Boulder or Basalt, Colorado; Beijing, China
** We will be staffing interns in Beijing. If you are interested in working on our China project in Beijing, please explicitly mention this on your cover letter.
Each intern will be paid $20.00 per hour (or equal to, dependent on academic funding participation).
· 403(b) Retirement Options - Must work 24+ hours/week to be eligible
· Paid Company Holidays
· Applications without a cover letter will not be considered. Be sure to answer why you are considering RMI for an internship in this document.
Increasing the diversity of thought, perspectives, ideas and opinions within RMI is a critical change element supporting our long-term sustainability and mission to build a clean, prosperous, and secure energy future.
We strive for a level of diversity that reflects the communities we serve. Achieving this—regardless of ability, race, ethnicity, ancestry, age, gender, sexual orientation, religion, marital status, socioeconomic class, educational attainment or other social identities—is critical to the success of each RMIer and collectively as an organization, ensuring that we:
· Have the different array of thinking that comes from diverse backgrounds and cultures, enabling us to solve some of the world’s greatest challenges.
· Strive for a culture of inclusion and belonging by treating others with dignity, respect and appreciation enabling them to feel welcomed, supported and valued.
· Effectively connect, communicate and build long-lasting relationships with decision makers, stakeholders and constituents within diverse communities.
RMI is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
RMI is an independent nonprofit founded in 1982 that transforms global energy systems through market-driven solutions to align with a 1.5°C future and secure a clean, prosperous, zero-carbon future for all. We work in the world’s most critical geographies and engage businesses, policymakers, communities, and NGOs to identify and scale energy system interventions that will cut GHG emissions at least 50 percent by 2030. RMI has offices in Basalt and Boulder, Colorado; New York City; Oakland, California; Washington, D.C.; and Beijing.