Principal - India Program
Are you a seasoned people leader with experience driving an equitable clean energy transition? Do you enjoy plunging into unfamiliar disciplines and testing new ideas? Are you a collaborative and strong team player who can also be a respected change agent from within? Do you have a passion for RMI’s mission? If yes, then join our growing team!
Program Overview (India)
Since 2016, RMI’s India Program has been working with the public and private sectors to build confidence and further commitment towards India’s clean energy and mobility targets. RMI has become a recognized brand and thought leader in integrated clean energy and mobility solutions in India. Our ongoing work includes national level policy support and technical assistance and deployment of regional pilots and implementation projects. Senior-level partnerships with government, private sector, and civil society organizations compliment and leverage RMI’s impact.
RMI’s India Program is seeking leaders at the principal level to support and co-lead our growing initiatives. In this role, your work portfolio will include grant-funded initiatives and contract projects, ranging from weeks to years in duration; thought leadership through publications and partnerships; and multi-stakeholder convening and collaboration.
In this role, you will be responsible for a large portfolio of projects and for managing a team of 4-8 people that will work with and for you. You will be one of the primary India representatives in our work with external partners, including national and sub-national government entities in India and beyond India, donors, clients, and partners. You will also represent the India Program and RMI at events and conferences.
Together with the other India Principals, you will have significant responsibility for managing India operations, including conducting performance reviews, acting as a career advisor, and coordinating staffing decisions. You will also collaborate with the India Program’s Managing Director to develop and set strategy for the program and initiatives within the program, and in the identification and development of project work.
In support of our growing work to accelerate India’s clean energy transition, we are specifically looking for Principal candidates who can each lead and contribute in one or more of the following areas:
- Developing and delivering strategies and solutions for net zero energy buildings in India by 2030 with a focus on demand creation for low carbon building materials, scaling of superefficient appliances through demand aggregation, and enabling onsite renewables and storage.
- Developing and delivering strategies and solutions for power sector transformation in India that aims to level the playing field for renewables and storage and accelerate progress towards India’s 2030 target
- Developing and implementing decarbonization strategies and programs for some of India’s harder to abate sectors including cement, steel, and heavy transport.
- Developing and delivering innovative strategies and solutions for sustainable cooling and heat resilience
Your Key Responsibilities:
- Manage research teams and partner with collaborators to develop, pilot, and scale successful solutions to the world’s toughest energy challenges.
- Shape and execute the India Program’s project, campaign, and initiative strategies to accelerate the adoption of clean energy solutions together with fellow Principals and the Managing Director.
- Engage in development, fundraising, and outreach activities to raise funds and revenue support for the India Program.
- Manage business development initiatives, including sourcing and developing proposals, grant applications and management, and directing the cultivation of fee-for-service collaborations with industry partners and the private sector.
- Manage and support 4-8 direct reports.
- Develop and maintain partnerships and collaborate with other organizations to achieve shared goals, including direct support and consulting engagements.
- Structure and deliver compelling presentations and written products to bring new insights to target audiences.
- Communicate with stakeholders across government, business, and non-profit organizations.
- Support development of team members through engagement in their professional development, with specific responsibility to support their growth as electricity decarbonization experts.
- Support the India Program’s Managing Director in interactions with RMI Senior Leadership and Board.
- 10+ years of relevant professional experience in a relevant field, such as energy policy, climate policy, energy finance, super-efficient buildings, utility regulation, utility strategy, energy storage, business, law, or other fields relevant to the decarbonization of energy systems
- 5+ years as a team manager or people leader
- Experience successfully leading teams in a project-based work environment
- Experience managing junior team members, including providing coaching and mentorship, and managing performance reviews
- Demonstrated success in forging and cultivating major collaborative relationships or coalitions to achieve shared objectives across the public, private, and nonprofit sectors
- Experience managing complex and diverse groups, including leading and navigating dynamic conversations
- Experience working with national and sub-national government entities, preferably in India, utilities, regional grid operators, regulators, distributed energy resource service providers, and/or other NGOs in the electricity, buildings, or industry sectors
- A graduate degree
- Substantial experience (5+ years) working with utilities, environmental not for profit organizations or groups, community-based organizations, policymakers, and/or the clean energy industry
- Established expertise with and knowledge of the social, economic, technical, and political issues specific to decarbonizing the electricity, buildings, transport, or industry sectors.
- Experience facilitating multi-stakeholder groups working on complex topics
- Preference will be given to candidates with specific knowledge of and experience working in India. RMI’s global strategies work across the U.S., China, India, Southeast Asia, and Africa; knowledge of and experience within these geographies is welcomed.
- Ability to travel 20–30% (once public health conditions allow)
- Evidence of good work references
- Excellent writing and verbal communication skills
- Experience leading projects that involve quantitative analysis
The position will remain remote through the COVID-19 pandemic. Once the COVID-19 situation improves, this role will be based out of one of our offices in Oakland, CA, Washington, D.C., New York City, Boulder, or Basalt, Colorado, with a preference for Basalt. This will be discussed further throughout the interview process.
The salary range for this position is $134,000 - $157,000. Salary to be determined by your education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity and alignment with market data.
You would also have a 20% bonus target!
We offer a comprehensive benefits package including:
- Medical, Dental, Vision Insurance
- 403b Retirement Options (5% match immediately)
- Generous PTO and sick leave
- Learning & Development opportunities (including unlimited LinkedIn Learning access)
- Parental leave
- Life, AD&D, Short Term and Long-Term Disability
- Commuter and Wellness Benefits
Increasing the diversity of thought, perspectives, ideas and opinions within RMI is a critical change element supporting our long-term sustainability and mission to build a clean, prosperous, and secure energy future.
We strive for a level of diversity that reflects the communities we serve. Achieving this—regardless of ability, race, ethnicity, ancestry, age, gender, sexual orientation, religion, veteran status, socioeconomic class, educational attainment or other social identities—is critical to the success of each RMIer and collectively as an organization. This ensures that we:
- Have the different array of thinking that comes from diverse backgrounds and cultures, enabling us to solve some of the world’s greatest challenges.
- Strive for a culture of inclusion and belonging by treating others with dignity, respect and appreciation enabling them to feel welcomed, supported and valued.
- Effectively connect, communicate and build long-lasting relationships with decision makers, stakeholders and constituents within diverse communities.
RMI is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
RMI is an independent nonprofit founded in 1982 that transforms global energy systems through market-driven solutions to align with a 1.5°C future and secure a clean, prosperous, zero-carbon future for all. We work in the world’s most critical geographies and engage businesses, policymakers, communities, and NGOs to identify and scale energy system interventions that will cut greenhouse gas emissions at least 50 percent by 2030. RMI has offices in Basalt and Boulder, Colorado; New York City; Oakland, California; Washington, D.C.; and Beijing.