Manager - Interior West Region, Carbon Free Buildings Program
Are you an experienced people leader with intense curiosity and drive? Are you willing to take risks by exploring and testing new ideas? Do you have the exceptional ability to structure and oversee analytic and strategic problem solving? Can you create impact through influence? If yes, then join our growing Carbon-Free Buildings team!
RMI (formerly Rocky Mountain Institute) is seeking a Manager to lead our equitable building decarbonization work in the Interior West region of the United States. In this role, you will work to eliminate climate and health-damaging pollution from buildings through centering the leadership of communities and stakeholders on the frontlines and supporting solutions that build a just and equitable energy transition for all. Specifically, you will help develop and win equitable electrification policies across multiple states; help lead city and state-based coalitions; and, leverage our research, analysis and communications team to win ambitious climate-aligned policies.
RMI’s Carbon-Free Buildings program seeks to eliminate greenhouse gas emissions from U.S. buildings by 2045 through solutions that build a just and equitable energy transition.
Application Deadline: Please submit all application materials by 5pm MT on October 1st, 2021
Managing relationships in key venues
- Act as the lead relationship manager with stakeholders in multiple priority venues (i.e., cities, states, agencies), focused on decarbonization of buildings
- Serve as the interface to RMI’s full expertise and leadership in these venues
- Convene and facilitate collaborative workshops, bringing RMI’s facilitation approach to develop new solutions and strategies
Providing thought leadership
- Develop strategies for scaling building decarbonization solutions across the region and the U.S.
- Lead and contribute to research efforts and publications
- Represent RMI in the media and other public speaking events
Managing projects to yield breakthrough insights and results
- With senior guidance, shape project strategies from inception to conclusion: determine change models, research methods, timelines, resource plans, communications plans, and stakeholder engagement.
- Determine how results will be measured and be accountable for project results, rigorously and respectfully challenging findings from RMI teams and partners.
- Act as the lead relationship manager with project partners and stakeholders.
- Coach and motivate project team members and resolve any issues throughout project life cycle, including writing project-level reviews for junior staff
- Oversee teams that number between 1 to 4 contributors (internal and external).
- Regularly contribute to external interviews, videos, and publications to share project insights.
- Work with our development team to raise resources.
- 5+ years of professional work experience including 1+ year as a team manager
- Experience managing external stakeholder relationships
- Excellent writing and verbal communication skills
- Experience managing high performing junior team members in a project-based work environment
- Highly collaborative, strong team player
- Willingness to plunge into unfamiliar disciplines
- A passion for RMI’s mission
- Ability to travel 10-20% (once public health conditions allow)
- Familiarity with energy, climate, buildings and/or electricity industry
- Experience working directly with policymakers and regulators
- Experience with energy policy and/or advocacy campaigns
The position will remain remote through the COVID-19 pandemic. Once the COVID-19 situation improves, it is preferred that this role will be based in the Interior West region, but is not a firm requirement. This will be discussed further in the interview process.
The starting salary range for this position is $112,000 - $121,000. This is dependent upon experience that will be discussed and vetted through the interview process. This position also includes an additional 10% bonus target!
We offer a comprehensive benefits package including:
- Medical, Dental, Vision Insurance
- 403b Retirement Options (5% match immediately)
- Generous PTO
- Learning & Development opportunities
- Parental leave
- Life, AD&D, Short Term and Long-Term Disability
- Commuter and Wellness Benefits
RMI is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Increasing the diversity of thought, perspectives, ideas and opinions within RMI is a critical change element supporting our long-term sustainability and mission to build a clean, prosperous, and secure energy future.
We strive for a level of diversity that reflects the communities we serve. Achieving this—regardless of ability, race, ethnicity, ancestry, age, gender, sexual orientation, religion, veteran status, socioeconomic class, educational attainment or other social identities—is critical to the success of each RMIer and collectively as an organization. This ensures that we:
- Have the different array of thinking that comes from diverse backgrounds and cultures, enabling us to solve some of the world’s greatest challenges.
- Strive for a culture of inclusion and belonging by treating others with dignity, respect and appreciation enabling them to feel welcomed, supported and valued.
- Effectively connect, communicate and build long-lasting relationships with decision makers, stakeholders and constituents within diverse communities.
RMI is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
RMI is an independent nonprofit founded in 1982 that transforms global energy systems through market-driven solutions to align with a 1.5°C future and secure a clean, prosperous, zero-carbon future for all. We work in the world’s most critical geographies and engage businesses, policymakers, communities, and NGOs to identify and scale energy system interventions that will cut greenhouse gas emissions at least 50 percent by 2030. RMI has offices in Basalt and Boulder, Colorado; New York City; Oakland, California; Washington, D.C.; and Beijing.