Program Assistant - Climate Aligned Industries
Position: Program Assistant
Programs: Climate Aligned Industries
Are you an administrative professional with exceptional organizational and communication skills? Are you able to manage several responsibilities at a time while ensuring exceptional accuracy and attention to detail? Are you a proactive problem solver who can anticipate challenges and opportunities ahead of time? Are you committed to team working and have the interpersonal skills and ability to work independently? Do you enjoy the administrative challenges of supporting executive-level individuals? If yes, then join our team!
Application Deadline: November 1, 2021
RMI’s Climate Aligned Industries (CAI) Program focuses on catalyzing change in some of the world’s highest-emitting industries to put them on a path toward net-zero emissions by midcentury. CAI activities include the Mission Possible Partnership (MPP), the Hydrogen Catapult and decarbonization of the aviation sector. The program executes much in our work in partnership with other key RMI programs, including Climate Intelligence, Carbon-Free Electricity, Carbon-Free Buildings, and our country programs in the US, China and India.
You will support CAI program leaders, including one managing director and up to four Principals, located in both the US and Europe.You will be the liaison between leadership, and internal and external contacts including business partners and donors. You will additionally support the day-to-day programmatic operations of CAI. You will work in close collaboration with the CAI Program Coordinator and the MPP Program Coordinator.
You would also eventually provide reception and administrative services at our Houston, Texas location once an office is opened. In this aspect, you will serve as the first point of contact for staff and guests and will be the primary contact for all property-related management. You will become an integral partner in modeling the culture, efficiency, and atmosphere of the future Houston, TX office.
Specific responsibilities include:
· Manages individual calendars for Leadership, as well as shared programmatic calendars.
· Circulates meeting materials and agendas, attends meetings and functions as notetaker; circulates action items to relevant participants following meetings, following up as needed.
· Ensures Leadership is prepared for meetings and engagements by providing necessary information, reserving preparation time and scheduling preparation meetings as necessary.
· Serves as ‘gatekeeper’ for Leadership, streamlining communication and serving as primary point of contact for Leadership with both internal and external stakeholders.
· Submits timesheets and expense reports in a timely manner, maintains associated documentation.
· Understands priorities and commitments of Leadership and can make adjustments seamlessly, proactively and with little advance notice.
· Handles requests daily from Leadership and follows up in a timely and professional manner.
· Serves as day-to-day point of contact for troubleshooting for MS Office, Teams, Slack, and other platforms selected by the programs; resolving issues as they arise and communicating solutions to team.
· Maintains file management system (SharePoint) including uploading documents, maintaining organization, granting permissions and resolving filesharing issues promptly with IT.
· Submits vendor and contractor invoices in a timely manner for approval.
· Circulates meeting materials and agendas, attends meetings and functions as notetaker; circulates action items to relevant participants following meetings, following up as needed
· Proficient note-taker, able to concisely capture action items and follow up with appropriate team members to ensure completion.
· Points team to Institute and programmatic resources, maintaining up-to-date knowledge of those available resources, where to access them and point people in all departments.
· Takes initiative to identify areas that would benefit from administrative improvement and suggest solutions.
· Assists with the day-to-day administrative operations of the Program as otherwise directed.
Travel and Event Planning
· Creates and manages all logistical and booking details related to domestic and international travel, including visa applications and renewals and planning for key events like the annual United Nations climate conference. Travel is booked directly through Concur and managed in collaboration with our travel agency.
· Provides quick solutions to unanticipated changes in travel schedules.
· Ensures travel, lodging and scheduling are virtually error free.
· Creates and manages logistical and booking details for team events and retreats, including facilitating payment and submitting expense reports.
· Schedules team events and retreats, referencing both Executive and shared calendars.
· Sources and contracts with vendors, venues, secures supplies, and assists the Program Coordinator with agenda creation etc for team events and meetings.
· Maintains a high level of proficiency with all RMI approved platforms and tools including Microsoft Office, Google Suite, Zoom and Slack, Adobe, Calendly, Concur, Monday.com and others
· Maintains daily oversight of platforms; proactively resolving issues as they arise throughout the day.
· Actively pursues improvement in skill levels and technical proficiency, both independently and drawing from experience of peers
· Understands functioning and troubleshooting of iPhones, applications, both PCs and Macs, printers and other devices
Dependability and Flexibility
· Can be relied upon to assist with projects outside areas of primary responsibility and deliver work in the timeframe identified with minimal oversight.
· Is able to calmly and efficiently handle unanticipated changes, including changes to schedules, plans and workloads, and reacts to these changes in a timely manner.
· Approaches difficult situations with a positive attitude and identifies solutions.
· Track record of impeccable ethics and discretion when ensuring that Leadership expenses are managed according to policy and details learned through supporting Leadership are kept strictly confidential.
· Willingness to on occasion (~once per week) work outside of normal business hours to support teams across time zones
· Exhibits professionalism in interactions with others both inside and outside RMI.
· Communicates clearly and effectively verbally and in writing and has superior listening skills.
· Interacts with others in a warm and professional manner.
· Represents RMI to the outside world, often by engaging with leadership of corporations, foundations, government, and academic institutions.
Office Coordination (To commence once an office is opened in Houston, Texas)
· Manage internal processes related to daily office life
· (e.g., welcome guests and assisting them in finding their way about the office, implement office “hoteling” protocol, maintain appropriate office supplies & RMI publications, coordinate weekly grocery delivery and kitchen staff upkeep schedule)
· Receive, sort, and distribute incoming mail, coordinate pickup and delivery of FedEx, UPS express mail
· Assist with meeting preparation and event set-up/clean-up; in-person and virtual
· Maintain internal documentation for office systems, processes and building amenities
· Manage internal office communications through Microsoft Teams and SharePoint
· Manage staff access to the building and parking
· Primary contact with building manager for office maintenance, troubleshooting, scheduling and related communications to staff
· Primary contact for office operations vendors; submit vendor invoices through Concur payment system
· Act as a culture leader supporting office and team development activities
· Liaise with Boulder HQ as necessary on coordination of activities related to office maintenance (e.g., IT)
· Work with RMI Crisis Management team to develop office COVID-19 protocol and response, implement protocol
· Three years of experience as an Executive Assistant, or equivalent experience, in a professional environment
· Proficient in Microsoft Office, Google Suite, Zoom and Slack, Adobe or similar tools that enable a fast or no learning curve to the tools used by RMI teams
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills
· Experience planning events and domestic and international travel
· Ability to maintain professionalism and strict confidentiality at all times.
· Ability to identify potential problems before they arise and proactively propose solutions.
· Fluency in English
· Ability to interact with staff at all levels, often under pressure, remaining positive, flexible, proactive, resourceful, efficient and managing multiple competing demands and priorities.
· Good judgment and strong decision-making ability
The position will remain remote through the COVID-19 pandemic. Once the COVID-19 situation improves, RMI’s preference is that you will be based out of either our Washington, D.C or New York City office. However; there is also an option to work remotely in the Eastern time zone.
The hourly wage range for this position is $24.00-$27.00. This is dependent upon experience that will be discussed and vetted through the interview process. This position also includes an additional 5% bonus target.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package including:
· Medical, Dental, Vision Insurance
· 403b Retirement Options (5% match immediately)
· Generous paid time off
· Parental leave
· Life, AD&D, Short Term and Long-Term Disability
· Commuter and Wellness Benefits
Increasing the diversity of thought, perspectives, ideas and opinions within RMI is a critical change element supporting our long-term sustainability and mission to build a clean, prosperous, and secure energy future.
We strive for a level of diversity that reflects the communities we serve. Achieving this—regardless of ability, race, ethnicity, ancestry, age, gender, sexual orientation, religion, veteran status, socioeconomic class, educational attainment or other social identities—is critical to the success of each RMIer and collectively as an organization. This ensures that we:
· Have the different array of thinking that comes from diverse backgrounds and cultures, enabling us to solve some of the world’s greatest challenges.
· Strive for a culture of inclusion and belonging by treating others with dignity, respect and appreciation enabling them to feel welcomed, supported and valued.
· Effectively connect, communicate and build long-lasting relationships with decision makers, stakeholders and constituents within diverse communities.
RMI is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
RMI is an independent nonprofit founded in 1982 that transforms global energy systems through market-driven solutions to align with a 1.5°C future and secure a clean, prosperous, zero-carbon future for all. We work in the world’s most critical geographies and engage businesses, policymakers, communities, and NGOs to identify and scale energy system interventions that will cut greenhouse gas emissions at least 50 percent by 2030. RMI has offices in Basalt and Boulder, Colorado; New York City; Oakland, California; Washington, D.C.; and Beijing.