Development Officer- Foundations
Are you an experienced Development Officer with a passion for the energy transition? Do you have experience working with and successfully raising philanthropic gifts from foundations? Do you have the ability to be flexible and to quickly change course with a positive attitude? If so, then join our growing team!
We highly encourage individuals of underrepresented groups to apply!
The Development Officer-Foundations is responsible for the development and management of a portfolio of current and potential major donors – primarily foundations. In this position, you will work with programmatic staff to develop the fundraising strategy and the case for support while building and leveraging key relationships and contacts within and outside of the organization’s network. As the Development Officer – Foundations, you will be a key contributor to the development team and will be essential to the achievement of our organization's fundraising goals.
- Advance foundation relationships that result in large philanthropic contributions for RMI through strategic engagement, personal in-person and virtual visits, email correspondence, and telephone conversations with prospects and donors.
- Identify, qualify, solicit and steward a portfolio of several dozen new and prospective foundation accounts capacity to make gifts (from $25,000 to $1,000,000 and more).
- Provide a high-quality experience for donors and potential donors through education and engagement on RMI’s clean energy program portfolio, cultivating, soliciting, stewarding gifts.
- Act as a fundraising partner to Senior Development Officers in support of managing major, complex accounts.
- Gather data, assess prospects, and develop strategies designed to realize the current and lifetime giving potential of prospects.
- Work collaboratively with program teams to gain a comprehensive understanding of RMI work and develop strong working relationships with program leaders. Create compelling proposals, cultivate new prospects, and steward existing donors.
- Use Salesforce database to document moves management process and provide accurate relationship status and financial projections for portfolio.
- Translate highly technical information into accessible written and verbal language that will compel donors to support key programs and projects. .
- Prepare meeting briefings, strategic planning for meeting goals and roles, and prepare communications and materials, designing meeting content, and coordinate activities with program and finance colleagues.
- Serve as an engaged member of the development team; support the implementation of the development team’s short- and long-term objectives; engage with the development team by attending staff meetings, serving on special task forces, participating in development-program meetings, and understanding and contributing to development strategy and overall mission.
- Perform other duties as required or assigned.
Minimum Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree
- A minimum of 5 years work experience in non-profit development, with a track record of successful solicitation of philanthropic gifts.
- A minimum of 2 years work experience fundraising from foundations.
- Experience writing winning grant applications or proposals.
- Experience working successfully with top level Executives in a fast-paced environment.
- Experience working in environment, climate or energy field strongly desired.
- Planned giving and international experience desired but not required.
- Ability to travel up to 50% of the time
- Knowledge of RMI’s mission and objectives as well as the principles and practices of non-profit organizations.
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with RMI staff, Board members, community groups and other associated agencies.
- Able to navigate and understand a complicated funding environment with the flexibility to change course quickly with a positive attitude
Submitting a writing sample will be required as part of the hiring process.
This position will remain remote through the COVID-19 pandemic. Once the COVID-19 situation improves, it is expected that this role be located at one of our offices in New York City, Washington D.C., Oakland, CA, Basalt or Boulder, CO. This will be discussed further throughout the interview process.
The salary range for this position is $86,000-93,000. This is dependent on experience that will be discussed and vetted throughout the interview process. This position has an additional 10% bonus target!
We offer a comprehensive benefits package including:
- Medical, dental, vision insurance
- 403b retirement options (5% match immediately)
- Life, AD&D, short-term and long-term disability
- Professional and personal development (including LinkedIn Learning access)
- Generous paid time off
- Parental leave
- Commuter and wellness benefits
- Casual work environment
Increasing the diversity of thought, perspectives, ideas and opinions within RMI is a critical change element supporting our long-term sustainability and mission to build a clean, prosperous, and secure energy future.
We strive for a level of diversity that reflects the communities we serve. Achieving this—regardless of ability, race, ethnicity, ancestry, age, gender, sexual orientation, religion, veteran status, socioeconomic class, educational attainment or other social identities—is critical to the success of each RMIer and collectively as an organization. This ensures that we:
- Have the different array of thinking that comes from diverse backgrounds and cultures, enabling us to solve some of the world’s greatest challenges.
- Strive for a culture of inclusion and belonging by treating others with dignity, respect and appreciation enabling them to feel welcomed, supported and valued.
- Effectively connect, communicate and build long-lasting relationships with decision makers, stakeholders and constituents within diverse communities.
RMI is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
RMI is an independent nonprofit founded in 1982 that transforms global energy systems through market-driven solutions to align with a 1.5°C future and secure a clean, prosperous, zero-carbon future for all. We work in the world’s most critical geographies and engage businesses, policymakers, communities, and NGOs to identify and scale energy system interventions that will cut greenhouse gas emissions at least 50 percent by 2030. RMI has offices in Basalt and Boulder, Colorado; New York City; Oakland, California; Washington, D.C.; and Beijing.