Director of Marketing- Donor Relations
RMI is seeking a senior, experienced Director of Marketing for Development to help achieve our organization's philanthropic growth goals by leading the strategic and tactical marketing and communications for RMI’s global philanthropic donor portfolio. In this position, you will report to the Managing Director of Development, support a global fundraising team and donors, manage the Marketing & Engagement Senior Specialist, and work across internal stakeholders to meet/exceed current and prospective funders expectations for a full suite of communication tools. RMI’s fundraising program has more than doubled in philanthropic revenue in the last four years and is seeking to continue to grow our global community of funders.
We highly encourage individuals of underrepresented groups to apply!
Roles and Responsibilities
1. Donor communications strategy and implementation: develop, establish, and execute a comprehensive marketing, communications and strategy in direct support of RMI’s philanthropic goals including:
a. Develop efficient processes and capabilities to deliver high-quality proposals including compelling and accurate narratives, presentations and other donor-focused products.
b. Systematically identify strategies to attract key audiences – especially global high net-worth individuals and foundations - to more effectively reach current donors, grow our donor base, and convert contacts to donors.
c. Develop and manage the marketing strategy and deliverables associated with RMI’s major annual appeals
d. Develop, manage, and expand institutional donor-focused marketing collateral including print, digital, and video
e. Organize donor events (in-person and digital) and marketing and communications activities associated with these events.
f. Rigorously assess the effectiveness of the tactics and activities through metrics, data-analytics and appropriate donor surveys
g. You will lead an effective proposal development team for individual, US and international government, foundation and corporate funding proposals and reports.
2. Effectively communicate mission impact and ROI: deliver impact reporting and associated set of metrics in close collaboration with other teams within RMI:
a. Develop cadence for increased donor stewardship of impact for institutional donors, including Quarterly Impact Statement, social media strategy, and annual report to leverage clearer articulation of organizational goals and impacts
b. Continue to increase greater emotional appeal and donor engagement: working across RMI programs and in close collaboration with communications to surface, highlight, and celebrate the most compelling stories of impact and emotional resonance, while also inviting current and future donors to engage more proactively with RMI.
3. Research, launch, and expand new RMI supporter programs, giving funds, and offerings
4. Pursue and enhance philanthropic marketing partnerships: both internally and externally
5. Work with and train RMI staff on best practices for donor communications including:
a. Creating guides and templates
b. Providing in-person coaching opportunities
c. Finding creative ways to integrate donor communications into other training and education opportunities that exist within the Institute
· 10+ years’ experience in fundraising and marketing/communications disciplines with experience with high net-worth individuals, major global foundations, and multilateral funders.
· Proven career and successful track record of strategic marketing/fundraising campaigns
· Experience in climate, energy or environmental content.
· A strong, fast-paced, team player with excellent organizational skills, bringing order to and solid processes in a face-paced, quickly evolving organization. Need interpersonal collaborative skills with staff and counterparts at all organizational levels and with external partners
· Ability to quickly produce demonstrable proposal and stewardship work-products with outstanding written and verbal communication skills
· Excellent initiative with great follow-through and project management skills
· Flexible and comfortable working in an iterative manner in a fluid environment
· High attention to detail, while also a Creative thinker
· Passion for RMI’s mission
· Master’s Degree
This position will remain remote through the COVID-19 pandemic. Once the COVID-19 situation improves, it is preferred that this role will be based out of one of our offices in Oakland, CA, Washington, D.C., New York City, Boulder, or Basalt, Colorado. This will be discussed further throughout the interview process.
Compensation The salary range for this position is $117,000-$138,000. This is dependent on experience that will be discussed and vetted through the interview process. This position also includes an additional 20% bonus target.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package including:
- Medical, dental, vision Insurance
- 403b retirement options (5% match immediately)
- Life, AD&D, short-term and long-term disability
- Professional and personal development (including LinkedIn Learning access)
- Generous paid time off
- Parental leave
- Commuter and wellness benefits
- Casual work environment
Increasing the diversity of thought, perspectives, ideas and opinions within RMI is a critical change element supporting our long-term sustainability and mission to build a clean, prosperous, and secure energy future.
We strive for a level of diversity that reflects the communities we serve. Achieving this—regardless of ability, race, ethnicity, ancestry, age, gender, sexual orientation, religion, veteran status, socioeconomic class, educational attainment or other social identities—is critical to the success of each RMIer and collectively as an organization. This ensures that we:
- Have the different array of thinking that comes from diverse backgrounds and cultures, enabling us to solve some of the world’s greatest challenges.
- Strive for a culture of inclusion and belonging by treating others with dignity, respect and appreciation enabling them to feel welcomed, supported and valued.
- Effectively connect, communicate and build long-lasting relationships with decision makers, stakeholders and constituents within diverse communities.
RMI is an equal opportunity employer.
RMI is an independent nonprofit founded in 1982 that transforms global energy systems through market-driven solutions to align with a 1.5°C future and secure a clean, prosperous, zero-carbon future for all. We work in the world’s most critical geographies and engage businesses, policymakers, communities, and NGOs to identify and scale energy system interventions that will cut greenhouse gas emissions at least 50 percent by 2030. RMI has offices in Basalt and Boulder, Colorado; New York City; Oakland, California; Washington, D.C.; and Beijing.