Product Manager, Technology & Tools - Third Derivative
Tackling the climate crisis is a once-in-a-generation, trillion-dollar economic opportunity, and the world needs a healthy global innovation engine to identify and massively scale new climate technology solutions that will speed up the clean energy transition.
Founded by RMI and New Energy Nexus for this purpose, Third Derivative is a global climate technology startup accelerator aimed at accelerating the rate of climate innovation. Our mission is to build an inclusive ecosystem that rapidly finds, funds, and scales climate tech innovation globally.
We’ve developed a vertically-integrated startup accelerator model to back this, which unites investors, corporates, market and policy experts, and startups to work together to increase the success and speed to market for climate innovation.
Since our launch in December last year, our ecosystem includes $3.3T market cap of corporate partners, $1B AUM of investor partners (across five continents), and 46 startups reflecting climate innovations solving for all major emissions sectors.
Now, our high-performance team of climate enthusiasts is growing, and we’re seeking a creative, collaborative, and self-motivated Product Manager, Technology & Tools to join us in our mission.
Third Derivative’s accelerator program was launched during the COVID-19 pandemic and, as such, has been completely virtual from inception. We have found the virtual nature of our program to be a feature, not a bug, as it has allowed us to rapidly access, grow, and develop programming for and with our global ecosystem in ways that a required physical presence would never have allowed. We are looking for a mission-aligned, highly creative leader to drive the development of the technology and tools required to deliver our programming successfully in a fully digital, virtual realm.
You will be leading the strategic roadmapping, design, engineering, and deployment of the software tools that will enable our program to thrive in the virtual world. Your focus will be on creating digital products that enable the D3 ecosystem to effectively communicate, ideate, and collaborate and that allow D3’s team to collect and analyze data to perfect and expand our programmatic offerings and accelerate our mission fulfillment.
Application Deadline: October 15th, 2021
- Identify pain points for both internal teams and external ecosystem members that can be alleviated by an application of software product solutions
- Research, conduct user studies, and perform competitive analyses to understand internal and ecosystem needs for feature and tools
- Perform make vs buy trade studies for software tools to solve the identified problems
- Estimate cost and work required to deploy tools
- Construct and continuously update the software roadmap for our operational tools
- Design and facilitate rollout processes in a manner that optimizes adoption
- Collaborate with stakeholders to deploy solutions, evaluate effectiveness, and continuously iterate based on changing needs and priorities
- Recruit and manage a team of external contract software developers in the development and maintenance of the defined tools
- 5+ years experience as a Product Manager of a software product with multiple stakeholders in a rapid growth startup
- Deep experience with iterative, rapid prototyping
- Ability to get hands dirty and build software products autonomously, as demonstrated by knowledge of multiple coding and scripting languages
- Experience designing, implementing, and learning from user experience studies
- Exceptional written and verbal communication
- Highly organized and able to balance multiple competing priorities
- Proven ability to break down and solve complex problems in a continuously moving environment
- Experience defining metrics and running data-based experiments and testing
- Experience performing make vs buy studies
- Experience evaluating, configuring, and deploying enterprise software tools
- Experience authoring statements of work for software contractors
- Experience managing internal software development teams as well as external software development contractors
- Ability to communicate technical decisions to non-technical audiences and stakeholders
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, UX Design, Human Factors, or equivalent
- Experience engaging with large corporations as stakeholders or customers
- Climate warrior with a demonstrated track record of developing or championing climate tech innovation
We offer a comprehensive benefits package including:
- Medical, Dental, Vision Insurance
- 403b Retirement Options (5% match immediately)
- Generous PTO
- Parental leave
- Life, AD&D, Short Term and Long-Term Disability
- Commuter and Wellness Benefits
The salary range for this role is $86,000 - $116,000. Salary will be based upon experience that will be discussed and vetted throughout the interview process. This role has an additional 10% bonus target.
Increasing the diversity of thought, perspectives, ideas, and opinions within RMI is a critical change element supporting our long-term sustainability and mission to build a clean, prosperous, and secure energy future.
We strive for a level of diversity that reflects the communities we serve. Achieving this—regardless of ability, race, ethnicity, ancestry, age, gender, sexual orientation, religion, marital status, socioeconomic class, educational attainment or other social identities—is critical to the success of each RMIer and collectively as an organization, ensuring that we:
- Have a different array of thinking that comes from diverse backgrounds and cultures, enabling us to solve some of the world’s greatest challenges.
- Strive for a culture of inclusion and belonging by treating others with dignity, respect and appreciation enabling them to feel welcomed, supported and valued.
- Effectively connect, communicate and build long-lasting relationships with decision makers, stakeholders and constituents within diverse communities.
RMI is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
RMI transforms global energy use to create a clean, prosperous, and secure low-carbon future. That is our mission. That is our passion. And every day, every member of our team of 250+ works tirelessly to achieve it. We are driving the global energy transition from fossil fuels to efficiency and renewables by working in partnership with businesses, communities, institutions, and entrepreneurs to advance market-based solutions. We achieve this by developing breakthrough ideas, testing and refining them, reshaping markets, and bringing solutions to scale. RMI is a fast-growing, independent 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization with a 2020-2021 annual budget of $70 million and offices in Basalt and Boulder, Colorado; New York City; Oakland, CA; Washington, D.C.; and Beijing.
New Energy Nexus
New Energy Nexus is an international non-profit that supports clean energy entrepreneurs with funds, accelerators, and networks. Nexus operates programs in New York, China, India, Southeast Asia, and East Africa. New Energy Nexus strives towards an abundant world with a 100% clean energy economy for 100% of the population in the shortest time possible. https://www.newenergynexus.com/