Head of Ecosystem Success - Third Derivative
Tackling the climate crisis is a once-in-a-generation, trillion-dollar economic opportunity, and the world needs a healthy global innovation engine to identify and massively scale new climate technology solutions that will speed up the clean energy transition.
Founded by RMI and New Energy Nexus for this purpose, Third Derivative (D3) is a global climate technology startup accelerator aimed at accelerating the rate of climate innovation. Our mission is to develop an inclusive ecosystem that rapidly finds, funds, and scales climate tech innovation globally.
We’ve developed a vertically-integrated startup accelerator model to back this, which unites investors, corporates, market and policy experts, and startups to work together to increase the success and speed to market for climate innovation.
Since our launch in December last year, our ecosystem includes $3.3T market cap of corporate partners, $1B AUM of investor partners (across five continents), and 46 startups reflecting climate innovations solving for all major emissions sectors.
Now, our high-performance team of climate enthusiasts is growing, and we’re seeking an experienced and well-rounded Head of Ecosystem Success to join us in our mission.
The Head of Ecosystem Success is responsible for creating and leading a team of top performers to increase the speed and success of climate tech innovation. In this key role, you will develop and achieve accelerator programming and processes to enable D3’s rapidly growing ecosystem of startups, corporates, investors, and mentors to collaborate in scaling climate innovations globally. D3’s theory of change posits that the whole of this ecosystem must be greater than the sum of its parts for us to combat climate change, and you have ultimate responsibility for realizing that aspiration.
Some examples of our current programming being delivered by the team that is to be managed by you include:
- monthly startup check-ins
- mentor recruitment and pairing
- corporate deal roadmapping and follow-up
- peer-to-peer learning sessions
- corporate and investor office hours
- a virtual community forum
The Head of Ecosystem Success will continue to evolve these offerings and develop new ones in a way that is exponentially scalable for an expanding ecosystem commensurate to tackling the climate challenge.
Application Deadline: October 15th, 2021
- Develop and manage a cross-functional, inclusive, and effective team to:
- Leverage relationships with our ecosystem startups, corporates, investors, and mentors to co-create programming that unlocks capital and commercial deal flow into D3’s startups and creates lasting climate impact
- Develop commercial and investment roadmaps with all D3 startups to help orient them to the relevant D3 partners, programming, and resources during their time in the D3 program
- Facilitate deal flow between D3’s startups and corporate partners by maintaining relationships with corporate partners, identifying mutually beneficial opportunities, and supporting commercial negotiations
- Recruit and maintain a team of mentors to deliver programming that prepares startups for venture investment and corporate commercial deals
- Connect the dots across ecosystem participants, develop community intimacy and serendipity, and create a platform for scalable, meaningful connections that produce climate tech progress
- Provide D3’s internal and external stakeholders with continual insight into the state and progress of our ecosystem
- Inform the startup intake, marketing, and business development processes on required needs to recruit new ecosystem members
- Work with operations to develop tools and processes to track the state and progress of our ecosystem
- Climate warrior with a track record of developing or championing climate tech innovation as demonstrated by commensurate professional networks
- 7+ years experience leading cross-functional entrepreneurial teams to define ambitious goals, rigorously track them, and overdeliver in a dynamic environment with high uncertainty
- Demonstrated ability to develop and supercharge system-level collaboration networks
- Experience working in an early-stage technology startup (pre Series B)
- demonstrable facilitation and networking skills
- Project management skills and adept at juggling multiple tasks
- Evidence of good communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to learn quickly, creatively problem solve, and bring new frameworks for analysis to the D3 ecosystem
- Interdisciplinary thinker. Working understanding of the social, environmental, and economic challenges and potential breakthroughs for accelerating climate tech
- High cultural awareness and sensitivity
- Connector and people-oriented person that thrives in a collaboration mode
- Proficiency in productivity tools with a desire to learn more. We use monday.com, Slack, Hubspot, and Airtable, and we are always looking to improve and find new tools.
- Founder or C-level manager of an early-stage technology company (pre-Series B)
- Experience working for a large corporate or as a direct service provider to a large corporate
- Experience structuring and executing commercial deals with startups
- Experience working at a corporate with the open innovation team and/or negotiating strategic partnerships with a corporate from the startup perspective
- Experience working with a team to develop the tech stack or other process tools to deliver products or services for a scaling organization
- Hands-on experience managing an international team and/or working with a global network
- Experience in mentoring startup founders
- Bachelor or masters degree in business, innovation, engineering, or natural sciences
Location: Denver/Boulder metro, New York City, SF Bay Area
We offer a comprehensive benefits package including:
- Medical, Dental, Vision Insurance
- 403b Retirement Options (5% match immediately)
- Generous PTO
- Parental leave
- Life, AD&D, Short Term and Long-Term Disability
- Commuter and Wellness Benefits
The starting salary range for this position is $145,500 - $157,000. Salary is dependent on experience that will be discussed and vetted throughout the interview process. This role will have an additional 20% bonus target!
Increasing the diversity of thought, perspectives, ideas, and opinions within RMI is a critical change element supporting our long-term sustainability and mission to build a clean, prosperous, and secure energy future.
We strive for a level of diversity that reflects the communities we serve. Achieving this—regardless of ability, race, ethnicity, ancestry, age, gender, sexual orientation, religion, marital status, socioeconomic class, educational attainment or other social identities—is critical to the success of each RMIer and collectively as an organization, ensuring that we:
Have a different array of thinking that comes from diverse backgrounds and cultures, enabling us to solve some of the world’s greatest challenges.
Strive for a culture of inclusion and belonging by treating others with dignity, respect and appreciation enabling them to feel welcomed, supported and valued.
Effectively connect, communicate and work closely with decision makers, stakeholders and constituents within diverse communities.
RMI is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
RMI transforms global energy use to create a clean, prosperous, and secure low-carbon future. That is our mission. That is our passion. And every day, every member of our team of 250+ works tirelessly to achieve it. We are driving the global energy transition from fossil fuels to efficiency and renewables by working in partnership with businesses, communities, institutions, and entrepreneurs to advance market-based solutions. We achieve this by developing breakthrough ideas, testing and refining them, reshaping markets, and bringing solutions to scale. RMI is a fast-growing, independent 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization with a 2020-2021 annual budget of $70 million and offices in Basalt and Boulder, Colorado; New York City; Oakland, CA; Washington, D.C.; and Beijing.
New Energy Nexus
New Energy Nexus is an international non-profit that supports clean energy entrepreneurs with funds, accelerators, and networks. Nexus operates programs in New York, China, India, Southeast Asia, and East Africa. New Energy Nexus strives towards an abundant world with a 100% clean energy economy for 100% of the population in the shortest time possible. https://www.newenergynexus.com/