Electricity Sector Lead - Third Derivative
Tackling the climate crisis is a once-in-a-generation, trillion-dollar economic opportunity, and the world needs a healthy global innovation engine to identify and massively scale new climate technology solutions that will speed up the clean energy transition.
Founded by RMI and New Energy Nexus for this purpose, Third Derivative is a global climate technology startup accelerator aimed at accelerating the rate of climate innovation. Our mission is to build an inclusive ecosystem that rapidly finds, funds, and scales climate tech innovation globally.
We’ve built a vertically-integrated startup accelerator model to back this, which unites investors, corporates, market and policy experts, and startups to work together to increase the success and speed to market for climate innovation.
Since our launch in December last year, our ecosystem includes $3.3T market cap of corporate partners, $1B AUM of investor partners (across five continents), and 46 startups reflecting climate innovations solving for all major emissions sectors.
Now, our high-performance team of climate enthusiasts is growing, and we’re seeking a sharp-minded Electricity Sector Lead to join us in our mission.
The Sector Leads are climate tech subject matter experts, familiar with technologies, market trends, competitive landscape, etc., for their sector. They will lead the startup selection process by developing investment theses, reviewing applications, and performing due diligence. They will publish insights and engage regularly with relevant experts/institutions. Specifically, we are seeking a Sector Lead that will cover electricity grid-related climate technologies.
Application Deadline: October 13th, 2021
- Be a subject matter expert in electricity sector climate tech. This includes both on- and off-grid technologies and new business models such as distributed energy resource management, long-duration energy storage, grid hardware, etc.
- Interface with VC funds, corporate, and utility partners as well as RMI and external experts to develop climate tech investment theses for the electricity sector and share our insights.
- Develop connections and engage regularly with the most relevant experts/centers of excellence for the electricity sector.
- Lead the Third Derivative selection process for electricity sector startups. Support VC due diligence by interviewing applicants, researching technologies/markets, performing rough techno-economic calculations, and consulting expert advisors.
- Lead writing of insight briefs and blog posts to help the investment community better understand and spot ways to commercialize new climate technologies.
- Represent Third Derivative during webinars and external events to help spread the word about Third Derivative and share our market and technology insights with the world.
- 4+ years experience working directly with startups and investors
- Business and technical expertise (e.g., ability to lead techno-economic analysis determining if new technologies can be cost-competitive)
- Academic background in science or engineering
- Strong verbal and written communication skills. Ability to independently field calls with corporate/investor partners as well as startup applicants
- Outstanding analytical skills, detail-oriented, proactive, and self-motivated
- Enthusiasm for teaching and working with junior staff
- New technology entrepreneurship, commercialization, or investment experience
- Experience working with electric utilities, in particular, as well as other corporate partners on innovation
- Climate warrior with a demonstrated track record of developing or championing climate tech innovation
This position will remain remote through the COVID-19 pandemic. Once the COVID-19 situation improves, it is expected that these roles be located at one of our office locations (Boulder/Basalt, CO; New York, NY; Oakland, CA; Washington D.C.). This will be discussed further throughout the interview process.
The starting salary range for this position is $112,000 - $121,000. Salary is dependent on experience that will be discussed and vetted throughout the interview process. This role will have an additional 10% bonus target.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package including:
- Medical, dental, vision insurance
- 403b retirement options (5% match immediately)
- Life, AD&D, short-term and long-term disability
- Professional and personal development (including LinkedIn Learning access)
- Generous paid time off
- Parental leave
- Commuter and wellness benefits
- Casual work environment
Increasing the diversity of thought, perspectives, ideas, and opinions within RMI is a critical change element supporting our long-term sustainability and mission to build a clean, prosperous, and secure energy future.
We strive for a level of diversity that reflects the communities we serve. Achieving this—regardless of ability, race, ethnicity, ancestry, age, gender, sexual orientation, religion, marital status, socioeconomic class, educational attainment or other social identities—is critical to the success of each RMIer and collectively as an organization, ensuring that we:
- Have a different array of thinking that comes from diverse backgrounds and cultures, enabling us to solve some of the world’s greatest challenges.
- Strive for a culture of inclusion and belonging by treating others with dignity, respect and appreciation enabling them to feel welcomed, supported and valued.
- Effectively connect, communicate and build long-lasting relationships with decision makers, stakeholders and constituents within diverse communities.
RMI is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
RMI is an independent nonprofit founded in 1982 that transforms global energy systems through market-driven solutions to align with a 1.5°C future and secure a clean, prosperous, zero-carbon future for all. We work in the world’s most critical geographies and engage businesses, policymakers, communities, and NGOs to identify and scale energy system interventions that will cut greenhouse gas emissions at least 50 percent by 2030. RMI has offices in Basalt and Boulder, Colorado; New York City; Oakland, California; Washington, D.C.; and Beijing.
New Energy Nexus
New Energy Nexus is a non-profit international organization that strives towards an abundant world with a 100% clean energy economy for 100% of the population in the shortest time possible. To achieve this goal, New Energy Nexus supports diverse clean energy entrepreneurs with funds, accelerators and networks. New Energy Nexus started in California and now operate programs in New York, China, India, Southeast Asia and East Africa.