Business Development Manager - Third Derivative
Tackling the climate crisis is a once-in-a-generation, trillion-dollar economic opportunity, and the world needs a healthy global innovation engine to identify and massively scale new climate technology solutions that will speed up the clean energy transition.
Founded by RMI and New Energy Nexus for this purpose, Third Derivative is a global climate technology startup accelerator aimed at accelerating the rate of climate innovation. Our mission is to build an inclusive ecosystem that rapidly finds, funds, and scales climate tech innovation globally.
We’ve developed a vertically-integrated startup accelerator model to back this, which unites investors, corporates, market and policy experts, and startups to work together to increase the success and speed to market for climate innovation.
Since our launch in December last year, our ecosystem includes $3.3T market cap of corporate partners, $1B AUM of investor partners (across five continents), and 46 startups reflecting climate innovations solving for all major emissions sectors.
Now, our high-performance team of climate enthusiasts is growing, and we’re seeking a high-powered and self-motivated Business Development Manager to join us in our mission.
Third Derivative (D3) is seeking a Business Development Manager to own, nurture, and close all sales processes to secure our operating income targets. Currently, D3’s operating budget is funded by membership fees from corporate partners as well as by donations from philanthropic donors. As a self-starting Business Development Manager, it will be your key focus to hit ambitious income targets.
We are looking for a creative, structured, and motivated thinker who finds ways to unblock dynamic problems and move towards collaborative deal closings.
Application Deadline: October 15th, 2021
- Drive all incoming operational income leads to successful closure.
- Develop sales pipeline tracking tools and provide D3 management with regular reporting on the progress of the sales pipeline.
- Segment and prioritize all qualified incoming leads.
- Develop relationships with internal RMI and New Energy Nexus development teams and external sales catalyzers, leading to new key partnerships and develop new revenue opportunities.
- Gather relevant input from relevant D3 teammates to develop and validate project and program budgets.
- Prepare and deliver pitch decks tailored to the needs and related value propositions of D3’s targeted partners and funders. You must be comfortable learning and owning the brand message of a complex organization and selling its unique value proposition.
- Partner closely with accounting and operations functions to ensure proper documentation and contracting of all closed deals.
- Provide ongoing feedback to the marketing and management teams in order to support the development of new communication strategies, new project and program offerings, and new lead generation.
- Work closely with the marketing team to take all qualified leads in sales-to-marketing handoffs.
- Develop and apply your insights to identify impactful partnership opportunities for D3.
- Minimum 5 years experience successfully closing a total annual sales book of $5million+
- Proven track record of prospecting, pitching, and closing open innovation partnership agreements or sales with large corporations
- Experience budgeting, pitching, and closing multimillion dollar programs to philanthropic donors
- Proven acumen mapping complex stakeholder organizations, networking to appropriate decision makers, and targeting each with differentiated value propositions
- Experience developing and managing sales plans and pipelines
- Demonstrable knowledge of startup accelerator and open innovation programs
- Excellent written and verbal presentation skills
- Self-motivated, driven, and resourceful with extremely high energy level
- Climate warrior with a demonstrated track record of developing or championing climate tech innovation
- Experience working inside of a startup or small team
- Large network of connections to philanthropic donors or relevant corporations
- Proficient in Salesforce and Hubspot CRM
- Climate change fundraising experience
- We offer a comprehensive benefits package including:
- Medical, Dental, Vision Insurance
- 403b Retirement Options (5% match immediately)
- Generous PTO
- Parental leave
- Life, AD&D, Short Term and Long-Term Disability
- Commuter and Wellness Benefits
The starting salary range for this position is $112,000 - $121,000, and this role has an additional 10% bonus target! Salary is dependent on experience that will be discussed and vetted throughout the interview process.
Increasing the diversity of thought, perspectives, ideas, and opinions within RMI is a critical change element supporting our long-term sustainability and mission to build a clean, prosperous, and secure energy future.
We strive for a level of diversity that reflects the communities we serve. Achieving this—regardless of ability, race, ethnicity, ancestry, age, gender, sexual orientation, religion, marital status, socioeconomic class, educational attainment or other social identities—is critical to the success of each RMIer and collectively as an organization, ensuring that we:
- Have a different array of thinking that comes from diverse backgrounds and cultures, enabling us to solve some of the world’s greatest challenges.
- Strive for a culture of inclusion and belonging by treating others with dignity, respect and appreciation enabling them to feel welcomed, supported and valued.
- Effectively connect, communicate and build long-lasting relationships with decision makers, stakeholders and constituents within diverse communities.
RMI is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
RMI is an independent nonprofit founded in 1982 that transforms global energy systems through market-driven solutions to align with a 1.5°C future and secure a clean, prosperous, zero-carbon future for all. We work in the world’s most critical geographies and engage businesses, policymakers, communities, and NGOs to identify and scale energy system interventions that will cut greenhouse gas emissions at least 50 percent by 2030. RMI has offices in Basalt and Boulder, Colorado; New York City; Oakland, California; Washington, D.C.; and Beijing.
New Energy Nexus
New Energy Nexus is an international non-profit that supports clean energy entrepreneurs with funds, accelerators, and networks. Nexus operates programs in New York, China, India, Southeast Asia, and East Africa. New Energy Nexus strives towards an abundant world with a 100% clean energy economy for 100% of the population in the shortest time possible. https://www.newenergynexus.com/