Reporter- Clean Energy
Newly founded nonprofit journalism outlet Canary Media, a subsidiary of RMI, is dedicated to covering the transition to clean energy, motivated by the urgent need to prevent catastrophic climate change. We seek two reporters to cover clean energy and help us shape our growing newsroom. Canary Media is dispersed, so employees can work remotely from anywhere in the U.S.
Are you excited to unearth new stories about clean energy, sustainable transportation, green energy development and/or zero-carbon industry? Are you passionate about exploring and explaining how the energy shift affects people and the places where they live, especially lower-income neighborhoods and communities of color? Are you a clear communicator who loves digging into complex issues and distilling them into simple, accurate and engaging narratives helps develop change? Are you eager to reach an influential audience of industry leaders, policymakers and climate advocates?
We are open to reporters who work in different mediums — the written word is core to our reporting, but we will be expanding into formats such as audio, video, multimedia and data visualization. We are also welcoming individuals who have reported on different beats within the clean energy space or outside of it. We’re particularly interested in growing our reporting on the decarbonization of transportation and buildings. We will also be deepening our reporting on state-level clean energy policy in the U.S., and in the longer run we will add more coverage of international developments.
- find and pitch original ideas for stories and content
- cultivate a diverse network of sources
- dig through data and reports to find buried gems
- break news and surface undercovered stories
- show how the energy transition is affecting people and communities
- produce engaging narratives in various lengths and formats
- collaborate closely with colleagues from the idea stage to publication
- be committed to accuracy and fairness
- help us develop strategies to constantly improve our journalism
- contribute to a creative, diverse, encouraging and fun workplace
- 2+ years of reporting experience
- Prominent interest in one or more of our focus areas: the decarbonization of energy, transportation, buildings and industrial systems
- curiosity and a motivation to obtain answers to questions
- ability to communicate information in a lively and engaging style, even when covering complex topics
- comfort working in a continuously moving newsroom and meeting deadlines
- ability to work independently and be autonomous, as well as cooperate with team members
- willingness to explore innovative journalism approaches as we develop our nonprofit newsroom
- understanding of how social media platforms such as Twitter and LinkedIn can be used to reach audiences or sources
- attention to detail
- recognition of the urgency of climate change and dedication to covering efforts to develop a clean and just energy system
- a sense of humor!
The salary range for this role is $70,000–$100,000. Salary is dependent on experience that will be discussed and vetted throughout the interview process.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package including:
- Medical, dental and vision insurance
- 403(b) retirement options (immediate 5% match)
- Life, AD&D, short-term and long-term disability insurance
- Generous paid time off
- Parental leave
We also offer a fully remote workplace and casual work environment.
Please apply with a cover letter, a resume and a document with copies of or links to three work samples.
The world needs all hands on deck to avert the climate crisis. Canary Media needs unique points of view to help tell the story. We can only succeed by leveraging the full spectrum of human experience, ingenuity and know-how. That’s why Canary Media values diversity of backgrounds, perspectives and strengths when it comes to expanding our newsroom team and nurturing its culture. Individuals of all races, ethnicities, abilities, religions, sexes, sexual orientations, gender identities, national origins, socioeconomic classes, veteran statuses or other identities are strongly encouraged to apply. Canary Media is an equal opportunity employer.
Canary Media is dedicated to providing an accessible environment for all individuals during the application process and for employees throughout employment. If you need accessibility assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability, please submit a request to email@example.com. (Requests and calls received for non-disability-related issues, such as following up on an application, will not receive a response.)