Senior Associate - Carbon Free Mobility
Do you love solving challenging problems? Are you interested in transportation electrification and decarbonization? Do you have a passion for making the world a better place? If yes, then join our growing team!
Rocky Mountain Institute (RMI) is seeking a Senior Associate (mid-level research, planning and project implementation role) to join our Carbon Free Mobility team. RMIers bring a variety of skillsets, and we welcome candidates with diverse educational and work backgrounds.
Application Deadline: August 9th, 2021
Transportation is the single largest contributor to greenhouse gas emissions in the United States and the source of 24% of global emissions. To achieve emissions reductions in line with Paris Climate Accord goals, transformative change is required in the mobility sector over the next 10 years. To do this, we focus on vehicle electrification, charging infrastructure, and more energy efficient modes of transportation. We work with government, utilities, regulators, vehicle fleet operators, manufacturers, infrastructure providers, and others to improve the economics, availability, and desirability of clean mobility. We seek out innovative early adopters who are willing to experiment with and ultimately implement transformative solutions.
As a Senior Associate, you are a creative problem solver who uses your quantitative, technical and analytical abilities to conduct compelling research and assessment around transportation electrification strategies and approaches. You will collaborate with team members to craft visionary yet practical solutions for our research questions and clients. In some cases, with the guidance of program principals, you may lead a small team to structure, manage and deliver projects.
Key job responsibilities
Project and Model Development
- With senior guidance, shape project strategies from inception to conclusion: determine change models, research methods, timelines, resource plans, communications plans, and stakeholder engagement.
- Design and create approaches and quantitative models to effectively address key questions and challenges posed by our research goals and clients.
- Locate and manage high quality data that sheds new light on problems and solutions.
- Create innovative problem-solving approaches to drive project insight.
- Synthesize recommendations into clear and compelling presentations and written reports.
- Present quantitative information in a clear, visual format.
- Engage with external experts via phone interviews, conferences, convenings, and on occasion, respond to outreach requests.
- Contribute publicly at conferences, share expertise in response to media requests, discuss our work with donors, and direct RMI research collaborations.
- With project managers and principals, structure and guide the work of more junior team members.
- With project managers and principals, coach and motivate more junior project team members.
- Bachelor’s level degree (Master’s preferred), or higher, in engineering, economics, business administration, or an energy-related discipline.
- At least 3+ years of direct relevant experience in transportation electrification.
- A deep understanding of the economics of vehicle electrification, including how it is affected by policy, technology and infrastructure. This should be demonstrated through publications or project experience.
- An existing professional network in transportation electrification and decarbonization.
- Excellent written communication skills, able to tailor messages to a variety of audiences to achieve impact
- Excellent stakeholder engagement and verbal communications skills.
- Excellent time management, organization, entrepreneurship, and drive.
- Experience in facilitation.
- Strong quantitative skills, with proficiency in Excel, and an ability to guide junior staff in the creation of spreadsheet-based models.
- Able to interpret results of sophisticated modeling approaches (e.g. statistical models, discrete optimizations) implemented in non-Excel (e.g. Python, R, Matlab) frameworks and quality control inputs and outputs of those models. The ability to develop those models is a bonus.
- International experience in transportation electrification and decarbonization.
- Experience working directly with major vehicle fleets on electrification, or with cities and states on electrification strategies and infrastructure plans.
The position will remain remote through the COVID-19 pandemic. Once the COVID-19 situation improves, it is expected that this role will be based out of one of our offices in Oakland, CA, Washington, D.C., New York City, Boulder, or Basalt, Colorado. This will be discussed further throughout the interview process.
The starting Senior Associate level salary is $76,500-$85,000 with a 5% bonus target. This is based on experience that will be vetted through the interview process.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package including:
- Medical, Dental, Vision Insurance
- 403b Retirement Options (5% match immediately)
- Generous PTO
- Learning & Development opportunities
- Parental leave
- Life, AD&D, Short Term and Long-Term Disability
- Commuter and Wellness Benefits
RMI is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Increasing the diversity of thought, perspectives, ideas and opinions within RMI is a critical change element supporting our long-term sustainability and mission to build a clean, prosperous, and secure energy future for all.
We strive for a level of diversity that reflects the communities we serve. Achieving this—regardless of ability, race, ethnicity, ancestry, age, gender, sexual orientation, religion, veteran status, socioeconomic class, educational attainment or other social identities—is critical to the success of each RMIer and collectively as an organization. This ensures that we:
- Have the different array of thinking that comes from diverse backgrounds and cultures, enabling us to solve some of the world’s greatest challenges.
- Strive for a culture of inclusion and belonging by treating others with dignity, respect and appreciation enabling them to feel welcomed, supported and valued.
- Effectively connect, communicate and build long-lasting relationships with decision makers, stakeholders and constituents within diverse communities.
RMI is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
RMI is an independent nonprofit founded in 1982 that transforms global energy systems through market-driven solutions to align with a 1.5°C future and secure a clean, prosperous, zero-carbon future for all. We work in the world’s most critical geographies and engage businesses, policymakers, communities, and NGOs to identify and scale energy system interventions that will cut greenhouse gas emissions at least 50 percent by 2030. RMI has offices in Basalt and Boulder, Colorado; New York City; Oakland, California; Washington, D.C.; and Beijing.