Strategic Communications Manager - Climate Intelligence Program
Are you a creative thinker with an intense drive for results and impact? Do you have a keen ability to grasp and synthesize complex issues? Are you a highly organized and detailed-oriented expert who can bring technical subjects to life for different audiences? Do you thrive on working in fast-paced environments and simultaneously managing multiple projects and priorities? If yes, then join our growing team!
RMI is seeking an experienced Strategic Communications Manager to execute the marketing and communications strategy for RMI’s Climate Intelligence Program. The Climate Intelligence Program (CIP) aims to create transparent metrics and tracking of greenhouse gas emissions for the globe’s most critical commodities, including oil and gas, aluminum, steel, and aviation fuel. These initiatives utilize modern technological tools such as satellites and numerical models to monitor emissions, as well as market-based instruments such as certifications and digitally embedded tracking to inform consumers of the impact of carbon dioxide and methane emissions for major industrial products. Our program demands a strong communications strategy to engage the public, customers, utilities, oil and gas companies, regulators, investors, and financial institutions of the importance and impact of greenhouse emissions visibility to reach the Paris Agreement goal of 1.5C.
You will be a strong people leader and project manager who works as an integral part of the CIP team while coordinating and collaborating with our central Communications & Marketing team, as well as other Programs at RMI. As Strategic Communications Manager, you will provide communications and marketing guidance to our program experts, develop and execute strategic market campaigns, written communications (op-eds, blogs, whitepapers), public relations strategy for major media outlets, social media campaigns, and web content to inform and influence key stakeholders. Successful mangers will exhibit curiosity about the market space, and be proficient in tailoring communications to different audiences (ranging from technical, non-technical, financial, governmental, and donor prospects).
Your Key Roles and Responsibilities:
- Lead overall marketing and communications strategy for Climate Intelligence Program (35+ person program).
- Develop, coordinate, and deliver marketing plans and communications campaigns for our current program initiatives that leverage diverse channels, media relations, social/digital, events, direct communications, partnerships, and RMI- and partner-owned assets.
- Quickly develop in-depth understanding of technical content and programmatic goals in order to intelligently craft effective talking points and speak directly to external stakeholders, including journalists.
- Efficiently deliver relevant thought-leadership stories and insights to targeted audiences.
- Proactively leverage news-making moments, milestones, and impacts to drive awareness and interest in the program with target audiences, influencers, donors, policymakers, and decision makers.
- Manage other responsibilities as assigned, including 2-3 junior communications staff.
- Coordinate communications efforts with other RMI programs and manage internal processes.
- Collaborate with and leverage in-house communications capabilities (i.e., editorial, design, web, traditional and social media) and third-party contractors.
- Develop and report against metrics of success and track activities against climate-based outcomes and impact.
- Seek out, develop, and manage strategic communications partnerships with like-minded NGOs, influencers, and/or advocacy groups in the target market.
- Assist RMI’s Business Development team on funding opportunities, proposals, and support of robust fundraising materials.
- Steward program brand across all communication channels and opportunities.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, public relations, communications, marketing, or related field and/or appropriate combination of education and significant experience.
- 5+ years’ experience in marketing and communications disciplines, with clear experience in developing strategies and leading successful communications campaigns across diverse media platforms.
- Demonstrated experience managing stakeholder relationships and complex projects.
- Tight project management and time management skills.
- Experience juggling conflicting priorities and reporting to multiple program managers.
- Experience working within the energy sector, oil and gas, or heavy industries.
- Strong knowledge and experience with governments, financial institutions, or donors.
- Interest in climate change, climate policy and action, or the broader energy transition.
- Experience managing teams of communications associates, media experts, and/or external consultants on a strategic marketing strategy.
- Relevant Graduate Degree.
This position will remain remote through the COVID-19 pandemic. Once the COVID-19 situation improves, it is preferred that this role will be based out of one of our offices in Oakland, CA, Washington, D.C., New York City, Boulder, or Basalt, Colorado. This will be discussed further throughout the interview process.
The salary range for this position is $76,500-$103,500, with the target being $80,000-$95,000. This is dependent on experience that will be discussed and vetted through the interview process. This position also includes an additional 10% bonus target.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package including:
- Medical, dental, vision Insurance
- 403b retirement options (5% match immediately)
- Life, AD&D, short-term and long-term disability
- Professional and personal development (including LinkedIn Learning access)
- Generous paid time off
- Parental leave
- Commuter and wellness benefits
- Casual work environment
Increasing the diversity of thought, perspectives, ideas and opinions within RMI is a critical change element supporting our long-term sustainability and mission to build a clean, prosperous, and secure energy future.
We strive for a level of diversity that reflects the communities we serve. Achieving this—regardless of ability, race, ethnicity, ancestry, age, gender, sexual orientation, religion, veteran status, socioeconomic class, educational attainment or other social identities—is critical to the success of each RMIer and collectively as an organization. This ensures that we:
- Have the different array of thinking that comes from diverse backgrounds and cultures, enabling us to solve some of the world’s greatest challenges.
- Strive for a culture of inclusion and belonging by treating others with dignity, respect and appreciation enabling them to feel welcomed, supported and valued.
- Effectively connect, communicate and build long-lasting relationships with decision makers, stakeholders and constituents within diverse communities.
RMI is an equal opportunity employer.
RMI is an independent nonprofit founded in 1982 that transforms global energy systems through market-driven solutions to align with a 1.5°C future and secure a clean, prosperous, zero-carbon future for all. We work in the world’s most critical geographies and engage businesses, policymakers, communities, and NGOs to identify and scale energy system interventions that will cut greenhouse gas emissions at least 50 percent by 2030. RMI has offices in Basalt and Boulder, Colorado; New York City; Oakland, California; Washington, D.C.; and Beijing.