Technology Product Manager - Third Derivative
New technologies and business models are critical for the energy transition but suffer from inadequate investment and other support. D3 is a joint venture between RMI and New Energy Nexus that reimagines how early-stage cleantech is brought to market. D3 is a vertically integrated ecosystem with 8+ integrated VC funds with $2 million in deployable capital, 15 global corporate partners with $3 trillion in market cap (including Microsoft, AT&T, Wells Fargo, Shell, BP, FedEx, and others), and deep sectoral expertise and network (from RMI and Nexus) geared at supporting our growing cohort of startups. Our collaborative community helps solve for the multiple valleys of death that climate tech startups face in serving the mission of creating a world that works for 100% of humanity in the shortest time possible.
Third Derivative is seeking a technology product manager to develop and own the scoping, development and maintenance of a suite of internally developed and externally purchased software tools to enable communication between, collaboration among, and data analysis from the incredible ecosystem of startups, partners, staff and resources inside the world’s most effective climate innovation accelerator.
Application Deadline: July 23rd, 2021
- Identify operational pain points for both internal teams and external eco-system members
- Research, conduct user studies and perform competitive analyses to understand internal and ecosystem needs for a feature or tool
- Perform make vs buy trade studies for software tools to solve the identified problems
- Estimate cost and work required to deploy tools
- Construct and continuously update the software roadmap for our operational tools
- Design and facilitate roll out process in a manner that optimizes adoption
- Collaborate with stakeholders to deploy solutions, evaluate effectiveness, and continuously iterate based on changing needs and priorities
- Manage a team of external contract software developers in the development and maintenance of the defined tools
Qualifications and Skills
- At least 5 years of previous Product Management experience for a software product with multiple stakeholders (similar experience may be considered)
- Experience designing, implementing, and learning from user experience studies
- Exceptional written and verbal communication
- Highly organized and able to balance multiple competing priorities
- Proven ability to break down and solve complex problems in a fast-paced environment
- Data-driven: Experience defining metrics and running experiments and testing
- Experience performing make vs buy studies
- Experience evaluating, configuring, and deploying enterprise software tools
- Experience authoring statements of work for software contractors
- Experience managing software development contractors or teams
- Ability to communicate technical decisions to non-technical audiences and stakeholders
- Experience working inside of a startup or small team
- Experience engaging with large corporations as stakeholders or customers
We offer a comprehensive benefits package including:
- We offer a comprehensive benefits package including:
- Medical, dental, vision insurance
- 403b retirement options (5% match immediately)
- Life, AD&D, short-term and long-term disability
- Professional and personal development (including LinkedIn Learning access)
- Generous paid time off
- Parental leave
- Commuter and wellness benefits
- Casual work environment
The salary range for this role is $86,000 - $116,000. Salary will be based upon experience that will be discussed and vetted throughout the interview process. This role has an additional 10% bonus target.
Increasing the diversity of thought, perspectives, ideas, and opinions within RMI is a critical change element supporting our long-term sustainability and mission to build a clean, prosperous, and secure energy future.
We strive for a level of diversity that reflects the communities we serve. Achieving this—regardless of ability, race, ethnicity, ancestry, age, gender, sexual orientation, religion, marital status, socioeconomic class, educational attainment or other social identities—is critical to the success of each RMIer and collectively as an organization, ensuring that we:
- Have the different array of thinking that comes from diverse backgrounds and cultures, enabling us to solve some of the world’s greatest challenges.
- Strive for a culture of inclusion and belonging by treating others with dignity, respect and appreciation enabling them to feel welcomed, supported and valued.
- Effectively connect, communicate and build long-lasting relationships with decision makers, stakeholders and constituents within diverse communities.
RMI is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
RMI is an independent nonprofit founded in 1982 that transforms global energy systems through market-driven solutions to align with a 1.5°C future and secure a clean, prosperous, zero-carbon future for all. We work in the world’s most critical geographies and engage businesses, policymakers, communities, and NGOs to identify and scale energy system interventions that will cut greenhouse gas emissions at least 50 percent by 2030. RMI has offices in Basalt and Boulder, Colorado; New York City; Oakland, California; Washington, D.C.; and Beijing.
New Energy Nexus
New Energy Nexus is an international non-profit that supports clean energy entrepreneurs with funds, accelerators, and networks. Nexus operates programs in New York, China, India, Southeast Asia, and East Africa. New Energy Nexus strives towards an abundant world with a 100% clean energy economy for 100% of the population in the shortest time possible. https://www.newenergynexus.com/