Principal - Carbon Free Electricity, Business Models and Regulation
Are you a seasoned people leader with experience driving an equitable clean energy transition? Do you enjoy developing, testing, and scaling new ideas and solutions? Are you a collaborative and strong team player who can also be a respected change agent from within? Do you have a passion for RMI’s mission? If yes, then join our growing Carbon-Free Electricity team!
RMI’s Carbon-Free Electricity (CFE) Program supports the rapid and equitable decarbonization of electricity systems globally to support modern, clean economies the world over. We work closely with utilities, regulators, businesses, advocates, and customers to evolve grid institutions, policies, regulations, business models, and processes in support of the transition to a clean energy future. We employ a unique combination of research, consulting, and collaboration to support individuals and organizations to innovate and implement transformative energy solutions.
RMI is seeking a Principal to lead its Utility Transformation - Business Models and Regulation (BMR) Initiative. The BMR team within RMI’s Carbon-Free Electricity program works with utilities, regulators, and advocates to evolve utility business models and regulations to support the rapid and equitable decarbonization of electricity systems. The BMR team’s portfolio of work includes contracted projects, ranging from weeks to years in duration; thought leadership through publications and partnerships; multi-stakeholder convening and collaboration; and policy and regulatory support for projects led by other RMI teams.
Application Deadline: July 1, 2021
- Lead the development and execution of the BMR strategy and contribute the development of the CFE program strategy
- Lead development and delivery of BMR initiative strategic outcomes and supporting activities
- Manage and support 6-8 team members
- Lead the team in scoping and executing thought leadership and research
- Build and maintain partnerships and collaborate with other organizations to achieve shared goals, including direct support and consulting engagements
- Structure and deliver compelling presentations and written products to bring new insights to target audiences
- Communicate effectively with stakeholders across government, business, and non-profit organizations
- Represent RMI in public venues and interviews
- Engage in development, fundraising, and outreach activities to raise funds and revenue support for BMR
- An undergraduate degree
- 10+ years of relevant experience in an applicable field such as utility regulation, utility strategy, climate or energy advocacy, business, law, or others relevant to our work
- 5+ years as a team manager
- Experience leading high performing teams in a project-based work environment
- Experience managing junior team members, including providing coaching and mentorship, and managing performance reviews
- Experience with the carbon-free electricity transition, climate change, environmental justice, and/or related topics
- Demonstrated success in building collaborative relationships or coalitions to achieve shared objectives
- Experience working with utilities, regional grid operators, regulators, DER service providers, and/or other NGOs in the electricity sector
- Experience managing complex and diverse groups, paired with the ability to lead and navigate challenging conversations
- Ability to travel 20–30% (once public health conditions allow)
- Excellent work references
- Excellent writing and verbal communication skills
- Experience leading projects that involve quantitative analysis
- A graduate degree
- Substantial experience (5+ years) working with utilities, utility regulators, environmental advocacy groups, community-based organizations, policymakers, and/or the clean energy industry
- Extensive knowledge of the social, economic, technical, and political issues specific to decarbonizing the U.S. electricity sector
- Experience facilitating multi-stakeholder groups working on complex topics
The position will remain remote through the COVID-19 pandemic. Once the COVID-19 situation improves, it is preferred that this role will be based out of one of our offices in Oakland, CA, Washington, D.C., New York City, Boulder, or Basalt, Colorado. This will be discussed further throughout the interview process.
The salary range for this position is $121,000 - $163,000, with the target range between $125,000-$140,000. This is dependent upon experience that will be discussed and vetted through the interview process. This position also includes an additional 20% bonus target.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package including:
- Medical, Dental, Vision Insurance
- 403b Retirement Options (5% match immediately)
- Generous PTO
- Learning & Development opportunities
- Parental leave
- Life, AD&D, Short Term and Long-Term Disability
- Commuter and Wellness Benefits
RMI is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Increasing the diversity of thought, perspectives, ideas and opinions within RMI is a critical change element supporting our long-term sustainability and mission to build a clean, prosperous, and secure energy future.
We strive for a level of diversity that reflects the communities we serve. Achieving this—regardless of ability, race, ethnicity, ancestry, age, gender, sexual orientation, religion, veteran status, socioeconomic class, educational attainment or other social identities—is critical to the success of each RMIer and collectively as an organization. This ensures that we:
- Have the different array of thinking that comes from diverse backgrounds and cultures, enabling us to solve some of the world’s greatest challenges.
- Strive for a culture of inclusion and belonging by treating others with dignity, respect and appreciation enabling them to feel welcomed, supported and valued.
- Effectively connect, communicate and build long-lasting relationships with decision makers, stakeholders and constituents within diverse communities.
RMI is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
RMI is an independent nonprofit founded in 1982 that transforms global energy systems through market-driven solutions to align with a 1.5°C future and secure a clean, prosperous, zero-carbon future for all. We work in the world’s most critical geographies and engage businesses, policymakers, communities, and NGOs to identify and scale energy system interventions that will cut greenhouse gas emissions at least 50 percent by 2030. RMI has offices in Basalt and Boulder, Colorado; New York City; Oakland, California; Washington, D.C.; and Beijing.