Editorial and Research Assistant
Editorial and Research Assistant
Canary Media — a new media outlet covering the global transition to clean energy and a subsidiary of RMI — is looking for a smart, energetic editorial and research assistant to play an integral role on our growing team. Our newsroom is dispersed, so the person in this position can work from anywhere in the U.S.
About Canary Media:
We are an independent, nonprofit journalism entity dedicated to chronicling the transition to a decarbonized economy and society, with a particular focus on the transformation of the primary energy, transportation, industrial and building sectors. We cover the technologies and the policies that will be needed to keep climate change in check, and the many ways that people and societies will be affected along the way, including disadvantaged communities and communities of color. We strive to provide reporting and analysis that is indispensable, accessible, and engaging.
About this position:
Canary Media is seeking an editorial and research assistant to work closely with our team of journalists to conduct research, publish content on our website, send out newsletters, produce podcasts, and much more. The editorial and research assistant will join editorial team meetings about coverage plans and have the opportunity to participate in discussions and contribute ideas. We don’t want you to fetch us coffee. We want you to help us do kick-ass journalism. If you’d like to build a career in media and contribute to covering the biggest story of our times, this could be the perfect entry-level position for you.
- Conduct research on a variety of energy- and climate-related topics, tracking down good sources and summarizing findings
- Do prep work for podcasts by suggesting topics and compiling background info
- Schedule interviews with sources and podcast guests
- Lay out stories in our content management system
- Find photos and images to accompany stories
- Proofread content
- Do fact-checking
- Moderate reader comments
- Brainstorm headlines
- Help manage our editorial calendar and other behind-the-scenes systems
- Four-year college degree or equivalent professional experience
- Excellent research abilities
- Strong writing and communication skills
- Strong copy-editing and proofreading skills
- Strong organizational and time-management skills
- Ability to handle multiple projects with overlapping deadlines
- Obsessive attention to detail
- Willingness to try new things and embrace new systems
- Eagerness to learn about journalism and decarbonization
- Ability to work collaboratively in a diverse workplace
- Passion for clean energy and climate action
- A good sense of humor
The salary range for this role is $70,000- $80,000. Salary is dependent on experience that will be discussed and vetted throughout the interview process.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package including:
- Medical, dental and vision insurance
- 403b retirement options (5% match immediately)
- Life, AD&D, short-term and long-term disability insurance
- Generous paid time off
- Parental leave
- Casual work environment
Canary Media is an equal-opportunity employer. We are committed to building a diverse and inclusive staff. Candidates of all backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply no matter their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status or disability status.