Managing Director - Climate Aligned Industries
RMI is a non-profit organization committed to transforming global energy use to secure a clean, prosperous net-zero future for all. Our organization applies rigorous techno-economic research, whole-systems expertise, and entrepreneurial approaches to help markets take advantage of breakthrough energy innovations. We embed deeply in industries to find pain points, and—with influential partners—develop, test and refine innovative business models and solutions. Working together with business, philanthropists, communities, institutions, and entrepreneurs, we then seek to remove market barriers and scale the deployment of low-carbon energy.
We are seeking a Managing Director (MD) to lead our Climate Aligned Industries (CAI) Global Program, which is currently focused on transformation of global industries including steel, cement, aluminum, chemicals, aviation, shipping and trucking. The MD will also oversee RMI’s leadership role and active involvement with the Mission Possible Partnership (MPP), an alliance of climate leaders working together to catalyze a net-zero industrial revolution. The coalition, formed in 2020, is comprised of eleven member organizations that rank among the world’s most influential in the realms of corporate leadership, industrial decarbonization, finance, and policy development. Our goal is to propel a committed community of CEOs from carbon-intensive industries, together with their financiers, customers and suppliers, to agree—and more importantly, to act—on the essential decisions required for decarbonizing industry and transport in this decade.
As the Managing Director – Climate Aligned Industries, you will provide overall leadership for the program by developing and implementing short and long-term strategic plans. You will also be expected to develop strategic partnerships and business relationships around the world while raising funding, all with an eye on accelerating the global energy transition. Successful candidates will have a passion for climate solutions and will have a demonstrated ability to influence the most senior industry and government leaders at the highest levels globally.
You will be a member of the senior leadership of the Institute and collaborate closely with other Managing Directors across the program organization to develop and execute RMI’s overall programmatic strategies. You will also build and lead teams, mentoring junior employees and helping create a high-performance working environment where RMI’s staff can realize professional growth and impact success. Your active role in pursuing funding for the program, through philanthropic avenues, government support, and collaboration revenue will be essential.
Your responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Lead and direct RMI’s active involvement in the Mission Possible Partnership (MPP) coalition. Help shape the strategy, work program and impact of MPP, bringing to bear all of RMI’s capabilities, resources and network.
- Develop and manage distinctive RMI capabilities to accelerate the energy transition in critical industries, including but not limited to steel, cement, petrochemicals, aluminum shipping, and aviation.
- Integrate RMI capabilities in climate finance, technology acceleration, power and mobility expertise, and climate intelligence as a comprehensive offering to drive industry decarbonization through the MPP program.
- Help lead the creation of low carbon demand/ procurement initiatives in sustainable aviation fuels, green steel and other industry sectors, leveraging RMI’s experience in the power sector and its relationship with REBA.
- Conceive and initiate demand side, circularity and efficiency initiatives for industry decarbonization.
- On the back of RMI’s expertise and MPP involvement, build and grow a targeted capability for energy transition consulting services for high impact commercial clients at the board/ senior management level, as well as for selective governments (US, China, India).
- Previous experience working in or consulting for (heavy) industrial sectors, including power generation, is required.
You will need to demonstrate the following critical competencies:
- Thought Leadership and Strategic Orientation – Combines deep thematic knowledge with strong strategic understanding as well as analytical conceptual thinking abilities, which result in identifying and leveraging opportunities to pursue the aspired outcomes for RMI. Possess a sharp eye and judgement for opportunities and leverage points.
- Collaboration & Influencing – Creates constructive relationships with all levels of the global energy or transportation community and engages others to develop and pursue a common goal. Fosters cross-cultural collaboration within the organization and passionately engages with governments, business and civil society, resulting in a network of enduring partnerships with external actors. Seen as highly credible internal and external to the organization.
- Building Organizational Capability – Has strong orchestrating ability as demonstrated by success in galvanizing and bringing together, while supporting, and developing, a diverse and talented global community. Develops long-term capabilities of others and the organization. Leads by inspiring, catalyzing and bringing together the organization’s strengths.
- Results Orientation – Demonstrates an action orientation and an entrepreneurial approach to identify challenges, establish priorities, and implement viable solutions, as well as fluidity to champion evolving priorities and directions for the organization. Has demonstrated ability to achieve through mobilizing resources and tapping on talent.
- 20+ years of experience in energy, energy consulting or climate change
- Bachelor’s degree required (in an applicable field such as engineering, economics, business (finance, strategic consulting), law, or physical and social sciences); advanced degree in a related field is a plus
- Passionate to make a difference, and to deliver impact towards a clean, prosperous and secure, low-carbon energy future.
- Specific expertise and recognized thought leadership in one or more areas including: energy transitions, energy efficiency, energy policy and regulation, the electricity sector, industrial energy supply and demand, emerging and developing country energy transitions, energy innovation, sustainable finance.
- Global citizen who has worked with/in the energy sector around the world.
- Fundraising experience, having raised funds from both public and private sources.
- Strong relationship builder with commercial experience and an understanding of how to drive profitability in an energy-oriented business.
- Ability and willingness to help shape RMIs organizational culture and to work in the context of RMI’s partnership philosophy.
- Demonstrated extensive work experience at the most senior levels in the energy industry with heavy emphasis on project-based environments including project development, consulting or professional services.
- Understanding of North American, European, and Asian political systems, including regulatory efforts, is preferred.
This position will remain remote through the COVID-19 pandemic. Once the situation improves, it is preferred that this role be located at one of our offices in Oakland, CA; New York City; Washington D.C.; Basalt or Boulder, CO. This will be discussed further throughout the interview process.
The salary range for this position is $215,000-$275,000, with the target being $250,000. Compensation is dependent on experience and will be discussed/vetted throughout the interview process. This role has an additional 25% bonus target.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package including:
- Medical, dental, vision insurance
- 403b retirement options (5% match immediately)
- Life, AD&D, short-term and long-term disability
- Professional and personal development (including LinkedIn Learning access)
- Generous paid time off
- Parental leave
- Commuter and wellness benefits
- Casual work environment
Increasing the diversity of thought, perspectives, ideas and opinions within RMI is a critical change element supporting our long-term sustainability and mission to build a clean, prosperous, and secure energy future.
We strive for a level of diversity that reflects the communities we serve. Achieving this—regardless of ability, race, ethnicity, ancestry, age, gender, sexual orientation, religion, marital status, socioeconomic class, educational attainment or other social identities—is critical to the success of each RMIer and collectively as an organization, ensuring that we:
- Have the different array of thinking that comes from diverse backgrounds and cultures, enabling us to solve some of the world’s greatest challenges.
- Strive for a culture of inclusion and belonging by treating others with dignity, respect and appreciation enabling them to feel welcomed, supported and valued.
- Effectively connect, communicate and build long-lasting relationships with decision makers, stakeholders and constituents within diverse communities.
RMI is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
RMI is an independent nonprofit founded in 1982 that transforms global energy systems through market-driven solutions to align with a 1.5°C future and secure a clean, prosperous, zero-carbon future for all. We work in the world’s most critical geographies and engage businesses, policymakers, communities, and NGOs to identify and scale energy system interventions that will cut greenhouse gas emissions at least 50 percent by 2030. RMI has offices in Basalt and Boulder, Colorado; New York City; Oakland, California; Washington, D.C.; and Beijing.