Technical Project Manager
Are you an experienced project manager with a passion for the energy transformation? Do you have experience managing complex technical projects involving stakeholders across multiple departments? Are you a self-starter with strong time management and organizational skills? If yes, then join our Program Services Team!
Rocky Mountain Institute (RMI) is seeking a Technical Project Manager with exceptional organizational and communication skills. In this role, you will work closely with key stakeholders across all levels of the organization. This individual, on the Program Services Team, is responsible for managing multiple company-wide projects, both Waterfall and Agile. Responsiveness to business priorities is critical along with an eye for continuous improvement and supporting a quickly scaling company.
- Responsible for managing complex projects with many customers and cross-organizational programs.
- Execute against aggressive schedules, while holding teams and individuals accountable to timelines and deliverables without explicit authority.
- Facilitate, coordinate, and track activities required to ensure organizational projects are completed on time, successfully, and in a manner consistent with organizational goals.
- Develop and drive agreement on project charters, which include clear milestones and assignment of project task responsibilities.
- Provide direct communication to management on progress, opportunities and issues along with identification and recommended remediation for institutional bottle necks.
- Listen to the voice of the customer to ensure deliverables address needs.
- Track team delivery on commitments using project plans, Gantt charts, burndown charts and other visual methods and track team velocity and other performance metrics to ensure accuracy of future planning.
- Mentor team members on project management (Waterfall and Agile Scrum) principles and drive conflict resolution.
- Support in RMI’s exposure and development of scrum strategies, ensuring usefulness and adherence to scrum practices, while continuing to build sustainable processes.
- Facilitate sprint planning sessions ensuring the commitments made are appropriate and uphold scrum principles.
- Prioritize the backlog tasks to ensure the team is focused on critical tasks.
- Act as leader within and beyond immediate department, leads projects and provides leadership for cross functional teams.
- Empower teams to self-organize and facilitate continuous improvement activities through retrospectives.
- Identify, negotiate and resolve complex technical and project team issues.
- Champion PMBOK project management best-practices, including Agile Scrum adoption across the organization.
- Work collaboratively across Departments including IT, Programs, Communications, Accounting, and Development.
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university, or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Minimum 5 years of relevant work experience and 3 years in a Project Management and/or Scrum role, OR Project Management Certified with demonstrated project-related experience
- Experience with MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Project)
- A documented history of successfully driving projects to completion
- A demonstrated ability to understand and articulate complex requirements
- Good judgment and strong decision-making ability
- Strong ability to communicate effectively, in writing and verbally, with senior staff in various organizations and governments
- Passion for the mission of RMI
- Strong team and interpersonal skills and the ability to work independently
- Ability to communicate effectively with both technical and non-technical individuals.
- Ability to perform duties in a collaborative, unstructured working environment, strong verbal and written communication and presentation skills, strong analytical and quantitative skills and strong problem-solving skills required.
- Extreme attention to detail and commitment to producing high quality work product
- Project Management Certification (e.g., PMP) and/or Scrum Master Certification (e.g., CSM, PSM I, PMI-ACP) preferred
- Requires solid knowledge and understanding of Agile development methodologies and PMBOK principles
- Experience in 'Change Management' and 'Conflict Resolution'
- Software and/or Hardware development experience
- Experience with advance visualization tools such as Microsoft Power BI or Tableau
This position will remain remote through the COVID-19 pandemic. Once the COVID-19 situation improves, it is expected that candidates will live near one of RMI’s U.S. locations.
The salary range for this position is $76,500-$103,500 with the target being $76,500-$90,000. This is dependent on experience that will be discussed and vetted throughout the interview process. Additionally, this role has a 10% bonus target.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package including:
- Medical, dental, vision insurance
- 403b retirement options (5% match immediately)
- Life, AD&D, short-term and long-term disability
- Professional and personal development (including LinkedIn Learning access)
- Generous paid time off
- Parental leave
- Commuter and wellness benefits
- Casual work environment
Increasing the diversity of thought, perspectives, ideas and opinions within RMI is a critical change element supporting our long-term sustainability and mission to build a clean, prosperous, and secure energy future.
We strive for a level of diversity that reflects the communities we serve. Achieving this—regardless of ability, race, ethnicity, ancestry, age, gender, sexual orientation, religion, veteran status, socioeconomic class, educational attainment or other social identities—is critical to the success of each RMIer and collectively as an organization. This ensures that we:
- Have the different array of thinking that comes from diverse backgrounds and cultures, enabling us to solve some of the world’s greatest challenges.
- Strive for a culture of inclusion and belonging by treating others with dignity, respect and appreciation enabling them to feel welcomed, supported and valued.
- Effectively connect, communicate and build long-lasting relationships with decision makers, stakeholders and constituents within diverse communities.
RMI is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
RMI transforms global energy use to create a clean, prosperous, and secure low-carbon future. That is our mission. That is our passion. And every day, every member of our team of nearly 320 works relentlessly to achieve it. We are driving the global energy transition from fossil fuels to efficiency and renewables by working in partnership with businesses, communities, institutions, and entrepreneurs to advance market-based solutions. We achieve this by developing breakthrough ideas, testing and refining them, reshaping markets, and bringing solutions to scale. RMI is an independent 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization with an annual budget of $70 million and offices in Basalt and Boulder, Colorado; New York City; Oakland, California; Washington, D.C.; and Beijing, China.