Data Manager - Climate Intelligent Solutions for Oil & Gas
Are you passionate about the energy transition? Do you have experience overseeing and structuring analytical problem solving for a growing team of analysts? Are you a true “data person” with a builder mindset? If yes, then join our growing Climate Intelligence team!
RMI is leading the Energy Transition by creating market and technological solutions to impact Climate Change. RMI is seeking a Data Manager for our Climate Intelligent Solutions for Oil & Gas division.
RMI’s Climate Intelligence Global Program focuses on identifying opportunities to reduce greenhouse gas emissions by curating emissions and industry data and translating that into actionable insights. The Oil & Gas initiative aims to reduce fugitive methane emissions from the natural gas value chain, aiming for an 80 percent reduction by 2050. We’re partnering with oil and gas companies, policy makers, financial institutions, and civil society to deliver data and tools that are accurate, actionable, and real-time, for maximum impact.
RMI is looking to hire a Data Manager within the Oil &Gas for Climate Intelligence initiative. Experience overseeing large (x billion) datasets, designing and building data platforms, as well as assisting additional team members in building their analytical skillset is a requirement. Previous experience in the oil and gas industry, environmental compliance, emissions accounting, executing multivariate analysis, and greenhouse gas lifecycle analysis is highly regarded.
Data Manager Core Responsibilities:
- Oversee data management and data analytics for growing team of Climate analysts
- Mentor fellow team-members on data analytical workstreams, software packages and skillsets
- Lead the development of data infrastructure that systematizes and vertically integrates data collection, processing, assimilation and presentation into an efficient and scalable process
- Develop methods to process disparate data sources that follow differing reporting standards to produce datasets that are self-consistent
- Develop methods for systematic and robust quality control of all data
- Work with team to identify trends and synthesize insights driven by trends in the data; produce insights and recommendations in an understandable and accessible manner
- Execute statistical analysis of multivariate spatiotemporal datasets
- Undertake opensource data aggregation pertinent to energy usage, emissions reporting and business activity
- Develop reporting methods, dashboards and visual platforms for analytics and insights into the sources of greenhouse gas emissions
- Manage stakeholder relations with natural gas producers, midstream operators, consumers, regulators, and technical experts
- Offer technical assistance on emissions monitoring capabilities, greenhouse gas inventory calculations, and process engineering
- Synthesize recommendations into clear and compelling presentations and written reports
- Present quantitative information in a clear, visual format
Additional Manager duties shall include:
- Responsibility for managing projects, budgeting and deliverables for program initiatives
- Contributing to strategy-level conversations about initiatives and RMI
- Representing RMI externally at mid-level technical events and small to mid-sized groups
- Master’s level degree, equivalent, or higher, in data science, statistics, computer science, engineering, environment, economics, or energy-related discipline
- 5+ years’ experience in data modeling & data science
- Experience with statistical software (e.g., R, Python, MATLAB, pandas) and database languages (e.g., SQL)
- Excellent time management, organization, entrepreneurship, and drive
- Has a builder mindset and is a true “data person” with a vision of what we will need to pipe in now as well as future-proof for an expanding department
- Ability to break down high-level business problems into concrete analytical solutions
- An entrepreneurial nature; not afraid to think outside the box
- A demonstrated history of successfully executing projects and accomplishing high-level goal
- Experience with dashboarding or BI software and spatial analysis tools (GIS)
- Experienced people-leader and managing teams
- Prior experience in consulting, project management, or other related fields
- Familiarity with emissions reporting, GHG lifecycle analysis, oil & gas sector, energy, or climate science
- Applied experience with machine learning on large datasets
- Experience using cloud-based tools for data storage and processing (Azure, AWS, Google Cloud, etc.)
We invite candidates with a variety of skillsets, educational and work backgrounds. Ideal start date is May 2021.
The position will remain remote through the COVID-19 pandemic. Once the COVID-19 situation improves, it is expected that this role will be based out of one of our offices in Oakland, CA, Washington, D.C., New York City, Boulder, or Basalt, Colorado. This will be discussed further throughout the interview process.
The salary range for this position is $86,000 - $116,000, with the target range being about $90-$100,000. Starting salary will be dependent upon experience and discussed and vetted through the interview process. This position also includes an additional 10% bonus target.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package including:
- Medical, Dental, Vision Insurance
- 403b Retirement Options (5% match immediately)
- Generous PTO
- Learning & Development opportunities
- Parental leave
- Life, AD&D, Short Term and Long-Term Disability
- Commuter and Wellness Benefits
Increasing the diversity of thought, perspectives, ideas and opinions within RMI is a critical change element supporting our long-term sustainability and mission to build a clean, prosperous, and secure energy future.
We strive for a level of diversity that reflects the communities we serve. Achieving this—regardless of ability, race, ethnicity, ancestry, age, gender, sexual orientation, religion, veteran status, socioeconomic class, educational attainment or other social identities—is critical to the success of each RMI staff and collectively as an organization. This ensures that we:
- Have a different array of thinking that comes from diverse backgrounds and cultures, enabling us to solve some of the world’s greatest challenges.
- Strive for a culture of inclusion and belonging by treating others with dignity, respect and appreciation enabling them to feel welcomed, supported and valued.
- Effectively connect, communicate and build long-lasting relationships with decision makers, stakeholders and constituents within diverse communities.
RMI is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
RMI is an independent nonprofit founded in 1982 that transforms global energy systems through market-driven solutions to align with a 1.5°C future and secure a clean, prosperous, zero-carbon future for all. We work in the world’s most critical geographies and engage businesses, policymakers, communities, and NGOs to identify and scale energy system interventions that will cut greenhouse gas emissions at least 50 percent by 2030. RMI has offices in Basalt and Boulder, Colorado; New York City; Oakland, California; Washington, D.C.; and Beijing.