RMI seeks a Legal Director to join its growing team to handle general U.S.-based contractual and employment law matters. This position is for an articulate, eager, and highly qualified attorney with approximately 3-5 years’ experience who is passionate about the energy transition, wants to help create positive impact, and thrives in a team-oriented, fast-paced, and agile work environment.
Application deadline: April 23rd, 2021
The Legal Director will be a full-time in-house lawyer who will report to the General Counsel. The ideal candidate is a highly self-motivated, business-minded, solutions-oriented attorney who enjoys operating autonomously and can comfortably manage multiple projects and competing priorities. This person brings systems thinking, extraordinary judgment, and interpersonal skills to a role that will collaborate closely with others throughout the organization.
- Work across various program areas to support them with all types of legal needs, including but not limited to drafting, reviewing, and negotiating contracts and providing guidance about how to structure legal relationships and transactions
- Collaborate with RMI’s People Team to handle employment law matters within the organization, including preparing responses to charges filed with administrative agencies such as the EEOC and providing oversight of employment litigation
- Provide legal advice and recommend courses of action to resolve employment legal issues in compliance with organization policy and applicable laws
- Work with RMI’s Finance team on compliance issues and protocol
- Partner with RMI's Grants Subaward Coordinator to ensure all outgoing subaward agreements are in compliance with the original agreements between RMI and the funder
- Monitor and draft corporate documents and policies as needed
- Coordinate with outside law firms across a variety of practice areas and jurisdictions.
- JD degree, licensed to practice law in Colorado
- 3-5 years’ experience, preferably in a general law practice with expertise in contract, employment, and general compliance law
- Excellent verbal and writing skills, and the ability to simplify complicated legal issues and language
- Whole systems approach to problem solving
- Experience in or knowledge of nonprofit law will be helpful
- The ability to quickly master and integrate legal, business, technical, and practical analysis
- Desire and ability to work independently as well as in a team setting
This position is currently remote with COVID-19 pandemic constraints. This role will be located at one of our Colorado office locations, listed below, with further discussion throughout the interview process.
The salary range for this role is $108,000-$125,000. Salary will be determined by the applicant’s education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity and alignment with market data. This role has an additional 20% bonus target.
RMI offers a comprehensive benefits package including:
- Medical, dental, vision insurance
- 403b retirement options (5% match, vested immediately)
- Life, AD&D, short-term and long-term disability
- Professional and personal development (including LinkedIn Learning access)
- Generous paid time off
- Parental leave
- Commuter and wellness benefits
- Casual work environment
Increasing the diversity of thought, perspectives, ideas and opinions within RMI is a critical change element supporting our long-term sustainability and mission to build a clean, prosperous, and secure energy future for all.
We strive for a level of diversity that reflects the communities we serve. Achieving this—regardless of ability, race, ethnicity, ancestry, age, gender, sexual orientation, religion, veteran status, socioeconomic class, educational attainment or other social identities—is critical to the success of each RMI staff member and collectively as an organization. This ensures that we:
- Have the different array of thinking that comes from diverse backgrounds and cultures, enabling us to solve some of the world’s greatest challenges.
- Strive for a culture of inclusion and belonging by treating others with dignity, respect and appreciation enabling them to feel welcomed, supported and valued.
- Effectively connect, communicate and build long-lasting relationships with decision makers, stakeholders and constituents within diverse communities.
RMI is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
RMI transforms the global energy system to secure a clean, prosperous, and zero-carbon future for all. That is our mission. That is our passion. And every day, every member of our team of over 300 works relentlessly to achieve it. We are driving the global energy transition from fossil fuels to efficiency and renewables by working in partnership with businesses, communities, institutions, and entrepreneurs to advance market-based solutions. We achieve this by developing breakthrough ideas, testing and refining them, reshaping markets, and bringing solutions to scale. Founded in 1982, RMI is an independent, Colorado 501(c)(3) nonprofit corporation with an annual budget of $70 million and offices in Basalt and Boulder, Colorado; New York City; Oakland, California; Washington, D.C.; and Beijing, China.