Director of Public Relations
We are seeking a dynamic, driven, and creative individual to join RMI’s Communications team to lead our public relations efforts and media strategies, both traditional and social, that advance the organization’s programmatic work, brand reputation and thought leadership in the US.
This an exciting opportunity to work with senior executives and leaders across the organization in building their reputations as industry thought leaders and the overall RMI brand. This person will be responsible for reputational management activities and serve as the lead on public relations in US, collaborating with senior public relations colleagues in international offices, and will manage a US-based media agency responsible for pitching and securing placements in top-tier and trade media.
They will also work closely with programs to develop and ensure alignment of efforts to support near-term opportunities and long-term media strategies that expand the organization’s efforts on the energy transition. They will be responsible for facilitating brand-level reputational management strategies and coordinate efforts on crisis communications.
The role will report to the Managing Director, Global Marketing & Communications.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Be responsible for reputational management strategies and approaches for crisis communications situations.
- Develop and execute dynamic press and earned media strategies to support growing the organization’s reputation, including management of the contracted public relations firm to support the broader PR efforts of the Company, where necessary
- Supervise the implementation of strategic social media campaigns.
- Direct and manage external PR agency on strategy, pitching, and outreach
- In collaboration with Program Marketers, develop written press materials – releases, talking points, story pitches – and manage approval process with internal stakeholders and partners.
- Assist in facilitating media interviews for executives and subject matter experts, including identifying internal spokespersons, gaining approval and ensuring alignment with program marketing managers, media training and coaching, development of talking points, and coordination with PR firm, and internal stakeholders.
- Write, design, create, and distribute high-quality communications materials, including media releases, media briefs, issue briefs and other marketing collateral.
- Supervise social media lead on digital media strategy (both organic and paid), reflective of the brand and business goals, and support the engagement of key target audiences.
- Advise management on strategies and timing to leverage programmatic work, announcements and campaigns in a manner that helps achieve the greatest impact in the media market
- Provide support for broader brand stewardship efforts across the organization
- Perform other duties as assigned by leadership.
- Manage two direct reports
- Direct outside PR agency
- Supervise the creation and delivery of annual social media metrics
- Set and achieve annual media strategy and targets
- Proactively pitch media
- Monitor ongoing trends, news and topics for relevant/timely ways each brand can participate in the dialogue
- Develop compelling external communications assets such as press releases, media alerts, proactive media pitches and media briefing books
- Become a subject matter expert on energy Understand the energy sectors in which we work and how to communicate our progress effectively in those sectors and the broader climate dialogue
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with key external stakeholders, influencers, partners
- Maintain our overall messaging platform and ensure communications are on-brand and consistent in terms of style, tonality and execution
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, public relations, communications or related field and/or appropriate combination of education and significant experience
- 8+ years of experience in a public relations and/or communications role, preferably leading major pieces of business in an agency
- 5 years of direct experience in pitching and external media relations, including demonstrated success in pitching and placing stories
- An excellent listener and self-starter geared towards asking the right questions to quickly build coherent messages and compelling story angles
- High energy and drive to accomplish goals, meet deadlines, and find solutions
- Must be highly organized, detail oriented and execute on a number of projects simultaneously in a fast-paced environment, acting with urgency and accuracy
- Ability to communicate with both internal and external stakeholders at all levels of the organization
- Exceptional track record of working effectively with the media, securing and maintaining relationships internally and externally.
- Experience managing communications strategies with measurable results
- Impeccable writing skills, demonstrating the ability to clearly communicate information to multiple audiences
- Ability to quickly grasp and synthesize complex issues
- Proficiency with Cision, MS Office, Sharepoint, and Monday.com
- Experience with energy, finance and environmental media preferred
- Experience with energy, finance, and/or technology media preferred
- Established, trustworthy relationships with top-tier media outlets and/or journalists in the energy field preferred
The position will remain remote through the COVID-19 pandemic. Once the COVID-19 situation improves, it is expected that this role will be based out of one of our US office locations. This will be discussed further throughout the interview process.
The salary range for this position is $108,000 - $146,000, with the target range being $110,000 - $127,000. This is dependent on experience that will be discussed and vetted throughout the interview process. This role has an additional 20% bonus target!
We offer a comprehensive benefits package including:
- Medical, dental, vision insurance
- 403b retirement options (5% match immediately)
- Life, AD&D, short-term and long-term disability
- Professional and personal development (including LinkedIn Learning access)
- Generous paid time off
- Parental leave
- Commuter and wellness benefits
- Casual work environment
Increasing the diversity of thought, perspectives, ideas and opinions within RMI is a critical change element supporting our long-term sustainability and mission to build a clean, prosperous, and secure energy future.
We strive for a level of diversity that reflects the communities we serve. Achieving this—regardless of ability, race, ethnicity, ancestry, age, gender, sexual orientation, religion, veteran status, socioeconomic class, educational attainment or other social identities—is critical to the success of each RMIer and collectively as an organization. This ensures that we:
- Have the different array of thinking that comes from diverse backgrounds and cultures, enabling us to solve some of the world’s greatest challenges.
- Strive for a culture of inclusion and belonging by treating others with dignity, respect and appreciation enabling them to feel welcomed, supported and valued.
- Effectively connect, communicate and build long-lasting relationships with decision makers, stakeholders and constituents within diverse communities.
RMI is an Equal Opportunity Employer.