Senior Development Officer - Foundations
Are you an experienced fundraiser with a passion for the energy transition? Do you have experience working directly with foundations? Do you have a successful track record of securing six and seven figure contributions from donors? Are you are results-oriented and thrive within a fast-paced, high-growth organizational culture? Do you embrace opportunity and are able to demonstrate flexibility and creativity in your approach? If so, then join our growing team at RMI!
RMI is in a period of significant growth, as stakeholders and donors increasingly recognize the need for the global energy transition and our uniquely valuable work. We are seeking an accomplished development professional to generate philanthropic support from philanthropic foundations. The Senior Development Officer for Foundations will manage a portfolio of new and existing foundation prospects with the capacity to make gifts from $100,000 to $1,000,000 and beyond by identifying and implementing strategies to identify and engage new funders and deepen relationships with existing funders. They will collaborate with leaders across RMI to develop robust and compelling funding opportunities and to create effective plans for cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding gifts.
Reporting to the Senior Director of Development, the Senior Development Officer for Foundations will be a key contributor to our high-performing development team and play an essential role in the achievement of our fundraising goals.
- Advance institutional and foundation relationships that result in large philanthropic contributions.
- Manage a robust portfolio of complex foundation accounts with diverse interests and expectations.
- Develop strategies, meaningful campaigns, and engagement tools for foundations, delivering a high-quality experience for funders and foundation staff.
- Secure invitations from foundations to submit proposals for support.
- Lead the development of high-quality grant proposals, stewardship reports, and other written material and submit them to foundations (in partnership with program staff and finance team).
- Communicate regularly with funders and foundation staff using email correspondence, video and phone meetings, and in-person meetings (post-Covid).
- Work collaboratively with the program team to gain a comprehensive understanding of RMI's work and build strong working relationships with program and operations leaders.
- Represent RMI at virtual and in-person events in order to expand our network and cultivate donors.
- Translate highly technical information into compelling donor materials to support key programs and projects.
- Use our Salesforce database to document moves management processes and provide accurate relationship status and financial projections for the portfolio.
- Support the development team in preparing communications and materials, designing meeting content, and coordinating activities with program colleagues.
- Serve as an active member of the development team by attending and participating in staff meetings, serving on special task forces, and understanding and contributing to our development strategy, achievement and overall mission.
- You bring 10+ years of front-line development experience, with a successful track record of securing six and seven figure contributions from donors.
- You have 5+ years of experience fundraising from foundations.
- You have experience in fundraising for organizations or programs related to energy, environment, technology, or policy and are a credible and enthusiastic advocate for RMI's mission.
- You demonstrate a strong knowledge of the global philanthropic landscape and trends, as well as relevant fundraising strategies and techniques.
- You are highly collaborative and effectively manage across and up within your organization, with experience navigating complex internal structures.
- You have demonstrated experience meeting deadlines.
- You are results-oriented and thrive within a fast-paced, high-growth organizational culture. You embrace opportunity and are able to demonstrate flexibility and creativity in your approach.
- You possess strong communication skills, both verbal and written, and a polished presentation style.
- You demonstrate strong organizational and time management skills and the ability to balance responsibilities that range from external relationship-building to internal strategy development.
- Prior success working as part of a geographically disparate organization
This position will remain remote through the COVID-19 pandemic. Once the COVID-19 situation improves, it is expected that this role be located at one of our U.S. based office locations.
The salary range for this position is $121,000 - $163,000 with the target being about $121,000 - $140,000. This is dependent on experience that will be discussed and vetted throughout the interview process. This position has an additional 20% bonus target!
We offer a comprehensive benefits package including:
- Medical, dental, vision insurance
- 403b retirement options (5% match immediately)
- Life, AD&D, short-term and long-term disability
- Professional and personal development (including LinkedIn Learning access)
- Generous paid time off
- Parental leave
- Commuter and wellness benefits
- Casual work environment
Increasing the diversity of thought, perspectives, ideas and opinions within RMI is a critical change element supporting our long-term sustainability and mission to build a clean, prosperous, and secure energy future.
We strive for a level of diversity that reflects the communities we serve. Achieving this—regardless of ability, race, ethnicity, ancestry, age, gender, sexual orientation, religion, veteran status, socioeconomic class, educational attainment or other social identities—is critical to the success of each RMIer and collectively as an organization. This ensures that we:
- Have the different array of thinking that comes from diverse backgrounds and cultures, enabling us to solve some of the world’s greatest challenges.
- Strive for a culture of inclusion and belonging by treating others with dignity, respect and appreciation enabling them to feel welcomed, supported and valued.
- Effectively connect, communicate and build long-lasting relationships with decision makers, stakeholders and constituents within diverse communities.
RMI is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
RMI transforms global energy use to create a clean, prosperous, and secure low-carbon future. That is our mission. That is our passion. And every day, every member of our team of nearly 300 works relentlessly to achieve it. We are driving the global energy transition from fossil fuels to efficiency and renewables by working in partnership with businesses, communities, institutions, and entrepreneurs to advance market-based solutions. We achieve this by developing breakthrough ideas, testing and refining them, reshaping markets, and bringing solutions to scale. RMI is an independent 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization with an annual budget of $70 million and offices in Basalt and Boulder, Colorado; New York City; Oakland, California; Washington, D.C.; and Beijing, China.