RMI is continuously searching for senior leaders who can contribute significantly to our efforts to deliver a zero-carbon future. We evaluate individual candidates on the basis of immediate organizational needs and the potential to build initiatives that complement existing activities in our core portfolio. Managing Director applicants are expressing an interest in a future role that may match your skillset, and/or engaging in an open dialogue around how your unique skills and expertise might advance delivery of our mission. This role is intended to be full-time, with executive responsibilities for a significant body of work.
RMI applies rigorous techno-economic research, whole-systems expertise, and entrepreneurial approaches to help markets take advantage of breakthrough energy innovations. We embed deeply in industries to find pain points, then—with influential partners—develops, tests and refines innovative business models and solutions. Working together with business, philanthropists, communities, institutions, and entrepreneurs, we then seek to remove market barriers and scale the deployment of low-carbon energy.
We are seeking Managing Directors who will help push our mission critical work forward in multiple areas of the energy transition, including:.
- The development of a carbon-free electricity system
- The creation of carbon-free buildings and urban infrastructure
- The expansion of carbon-free mobility options, both for passenger and freight networks
- The alignment of industry with <1.5 degree C pathways
- The establishment of climate intelligence platforms to support real-time emissions monitoring and supply chain decarbonization
- The scaling of breakthrough technologies to decarbonize global infrastructure
- The use of finance and market-based tools to shift investment practices.
We specifically seek leaders with relevant experience in China, India, the United States, sub-Saharan Africa, southeast Asia, and island economies.
RMI is seeking talented, strategic Managing Directors who can provide overall leadership for its key programs by developing and implementing short and long-term strategic plans. Managing Directors are expected to develop strategic partnerships and business relationships around the world while raising funding, all with an eye to scaling the work of accelerating the global energy transition. Successful candidates will have a passion for climate solutions and will have the ability to influence industry and government leaders at the highest levels.
Managing Directors are members of the senior leadership of the Institute and collaborate closely with other Managing Directors across the program organization to develop and execute RMI’s overall programmatic strategies.
Managing Directors will also build and lead teams, mentoring junior employees and helping create a high-performance working environment where RMI’s staff can realize professional growth and impact success.
Managing Directors take a very active role in pursuing funding for their programs, through philanthropic avenues, government support, and collaboration revenue.
Qualified candidates for a Managing Director position will need to demonstrate the following critical competencies:
- Thought Leadership and Strategic Orientation – Combines deep thematic knowledge with strong strategic understanding as well as analytical conceptual thinking abilities, which result in identifying and leveraging opportunities to pursue the aspired outcomes for RMI. Possess sharp eye and judgement for opportunities and leverage points.
- Collaboration & Influencing – Creates constructive relationships with all levels of the global energy or transportation community and engages others to develop and pursue a common goal. Fosters cross-cultural collaboration within the organization and passionately engages with governments, business and civil society, resulting in a network of enduring partnerships with external actors. Seen as highly credible internal and external to the organization.
- Building Organizational Capability – Has strong orchestrating ability as demonstrated by success in galvanizing and bringing together, while supporting, and developing, a diverse and talented global community. Develops long-term capabilities of others and the organization. Leads by inspiring, catalyzing and bringing together the organization’s strengths.
- Results Orientation – Demonstrates an action orientation and an entrepreneurial approach to identify challenges, establish priorities, and implement viable solutions, as well as fluidity to champion evolving priorities and directions for the organization. Has demonstrated ability to achieve through mobilizing resources and tapping on talent.
- 20+ years of experience in one or more of our program areas.
- Passionate to make a difference, and to deliver impact towards a clean, prosperous and secure, low-carbon energy future.
- Deep experience in the energy sector and in one (or more) of our program areas.
- Specific expertise and recognized thought leadership in one or more areas including: energy transitions, energy efficiency, energy policy and regulation, the electricity sector, industrial energy supply and demand, emerging and developing country energy transitions, energy innovation, sustainable finance.
- Global citizen who has worked with/in the energy sector around the world.
- Fundraising experience, having raised funds from both public and private sources.
- Strong relationship builder with commercial experience and an understanding of how to drive profitability in an energy-oriented business.
- Ability and willingness to help shape RMIs organizational culture and to work in the context of RMI’s partnership philosophy.
- Demonstrated extensive work experience at the most senior levels in the energy industry with heavy emphasis on project-based environments including project development, consulting or professional services.
The salary range for this position is $215,000-$275,000, with the target being around $250,000. Compensation is dependent on experience and will be discussed/vetted throughout the interview process. This role has an additional 25% bonus target.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package including:
- Medical, dental, vision insurance
- 403b retirement options (5% match immediately)
- Life, AD&D, short-term and long-term disability
- Professional and personal development (including LinkedIn Learning access)
- Generous paid time off
- Parental leave
- Commuter and wellness benefits
- Casual work environment
Increasing the diversity of thought, perspectives, ideas and opinions within RMI is a critical change element supporting our long-term sustainability and mission to build a clean, prosperous, and secure energy future.
We strive for a level of diversity that reflects the communities we serve. Achieving this—regardless of ability, race, ethnicity, ancestry, age, gender, sexual orientation, religion, marital status, socioeconomic class, educational attainment or other social identities—is critical to the success of each RMIer and collectively as an organization, ensuring that we:
- Have the different array of thinking that comes from diverse backgrounds and cultures, enabling us to solve some of the world’s greatest challenges.
- Strive for a culture of inclusion and belonging by treating others with dignity, respect and appreciation enabling them to feel welcomed, supported and valued.
- Effectively connect, communicate and build long-lasting relationships with decision makers, stakeholders and constituents within diverse communities.
RMI is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Rocky Mountain Institute transforms global energy use to create a clean, prosperous, and secure low-carbon future. That is our mission. That is our passion. And every day, every member of our team of nearly 300 works relentlessly to achieve it. We are driving the global energy transition from fossil fuels to efficiency and renewables by working in partnership with businesses, communities, institutions, and entrepreneurs to advance market-based solutions. We achieve this by developing breakthrough ideas, testing and refining them, reshaping markets, and bringing solutions to scale. RMI is an independent 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization with an annual budget of $70 million and offices in Basalt and Boulder, Colorado; New York City; Oakland, California; Washington, D.C.; and Beijing, China.