RMI is continuously searching for senior leaders who can contribute significantly to our efforts to deliver a zero-carbon future. We evaluate individual candidates on the basis of immediate organizational needs and the potential to build initiatives that complement existing activities in our core portfolio. Senior Fellow applicants are expressing an interest in a future role that may match your skillset, and/or engaging in an open dialogue around how your unique skills and expertise might advance delivery of our mission. This role may be part-time or full-time, depending on the specific organizational need.
Are you passionate about transforming the global energy system to secure a clean, prosperous, zero-carbon future for all? Do you have deep expertise and an established track-record in one or more of our program areas? Are you able to act as an advisory member to our work? From time to time, we seek Senior Fellows to strengthen our team and increase our impact. If the description above applies to you, we encourage you to apply to be a Senior Fellow when opportunities arise!
RMI applies rigorous techno-economic research, whole-systems expertise, and entrepreneurial approaches to help markets take advantage of breakthrough energy innovations. We embed deeply in industries to find pain points, then—with influential partners—develop, test and refine innovative business models and solutions. Working together with corporations, philanthropists, communities, institutions, and entrepreneurs, we seek to remove market barriers and scale the deployment of low-carbon energy solutions.
We are seeking Senior Fellows who can apply expertise and experience in driving our mission-critical work forward in critical areas of the energy transition, including:
- The development of a carbon-free electricity system
- The creation of carbon-free buildings and urban infrastructure
- The expansion of carbon-free mobility options, both for passenger and freight networks
- The alignment of industry with <1.5 degree C pathways
- The establishment of climate intelligence platforms to support real-time emissions monitoring and supply chain decarbonization
- The scaling of breakthrough technologies to decarbonize global infrastructure
- The use of finance and market-based tools to shift investment practices
We specifically seek leaders with relevant experience in China, India, the United States, sub-Saharan Africa, southeast Asia, and island economies.
Competencies and Qualifications:
- 20+ years of experience and a proven track record at senior levels in one or more of our program areas.
- Deep expertise and extensive knowledge of key issues that RMI is committed to impacting.
- Able to act as an advisory member of our team, including a willingness to “roll-up your sleeves” where required and help shape content, engagement, and outcomes.
- Ability to tap into a deep bench of senior relationships with stakeholders in relevant fields.
- Collaborative, “can-do” attitude that will push the project forward, maintain interest and excitement among staff and partners, and serve as a motivating force for ambitious and complex initiatives.
- Strong critical thinking skills
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Deep passion for and robust understanding of the energy transition and climate change.
- An understanding of key global trends such as energy, climate, sustainability, policy, etc.
Increasing the diversity of thought, perspectives, ideas and opinions within RMI is a critical change element supporting our long-term sustainability and mission to build a clean, prosperous, and secure energy future.
We strive for a level of diversity that reflects the communities we serve. Achieving this—regardless of ability, race, ethnicity, ancestry, age, gender, sexual orientation, religion, marital status, socioeconomic class, educational attainment or other social identities—is critical to the success of each RMIer and collectively as an organization, ensuring that we:
- Have the different array of thinking that comes from diverse backgrounds and cultures, enabling us to solve some of the world’s greatest challenges.
- Strive for a culture of inclusion and belonging by treating others with dignity, respect and appreciation enabling them to feel welcomed, supported and valued.
- Effectively connect, communicate and build long-lasting relationships with decision makers, stakeholders and constituents within diverse communities.
RMI is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Rocky Mountain Institute transforms global energy use to create a clean, prosperous, and secure low-carbon future. That is our mission. That is our passion. And every day, every member of our team of nearly 300 works relentlessly to achieve it. We are driving the global energy transition from fossil fuels to efficiency and renewables by working in partnership with businesses, communities, institutions, and entrepreneurs to advance market-based solutions. We achieve this by developing breakthrough ideas, testing and refining them, reshaping markets, and bringing solutions to scale. RMI is an independent 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization with an annual budget of $70 million and offices in Basalt and Boulder, Colorado; New York City; Oakland, California; Washington, D.C.; and Beijing, China.