Managing Director of Marketing and Communications
RMI applies rigorous techno-economic research, whole-systems expertise, and entrepreneurial approaches to help markets take advantage of breakthrough energy innovations. We embed deeply in industries to find pain points, then—with influential partners—develops, tests and refines innovative business models and solutions. Working together with business, philanthropists, communities, institutions, and entrepreneurs, we then seek to remove market barriers and scale the deployment of low-carbon energy.
We are seeking a Managing Director of Marketing and Communications to lead our global marketing, communications and public relations function in support of our market-based initiatives and revenue-based development efforts.
As the Managing Director of Marketing and Communications, you are a strategic, visionary leader and manager who can roll up your sleeves and design, assemble, and execute inspiring multimedia story-telling efforts across internal and external audience groups— whether employees, partners, current and prospective donors as well as talent. You will set strategy and direct the execution of marketing, public relations, and communications goals and be responsible for all internal and external communications, including digital technology and social media as appropriate.
You will work with the program Managing Directors and their teams to create effective audience-centric communications to drive the impact of our work. Additionally, you will lead the brand strategy and have oversight on implementing RMI’s brand identity on all marketing assets including the website, print media, marketing collateral, blogs, newsletters and all communications to internal and external partners and stakeholders.
To be successful in this role, you will need to demonstrate the following critical competences:
- Audience Champion: Align RMI around audience centricity and utilize data insights and analytics to deliver superior, personalized funder and key stakeholder experiences and measurable impact results.
- Growth Driver: Play a leading role in creating and managing a plan to achieve sustainable growth.
- Chief Storyteller: Act as both architect and steward of the RMI brand and program narratives by creating and telling stories and inviting partners and other stakeholders to be part of the narrative.
- Capacity Builder: Develop robust marketing capabilities (e.g. technology, fluency, digital expertise, data analytics and insights, etc.) to meet organizational impact goals.
- Collaboration &Influencing: Create constructive relationships with and across all levels of the organization and foster cross-cultural collaboration. Seen as highly credible internally and externally to the organization.
- Results Orientation: Demonstrate an action orientation and an entrepreneurial approach to identify challenges, establish priorities, and implement viable solutions, as well as fluidity to champion evolving priorities and directions with the marketing and communications function to align with RMI goals.
- Supervise 16-17 members on the communications team as well as 10+ program marketing professionals.
- Lead the development and implementation of compelling audience-centric program narratives and communications strategies that drive RMI’s impact.
- Manage the external communications and visibility of RMI’s brand and advance our market positioning, particularly with current and potential donors.
- Work with Program and/or key communication partners to develop compelling and measurable marketing/communication plans that outline the communications strategy, align resources and budget, and operationalize how to run the plan most effectively.
- Provide direction for content creation (press releases, blogs, newsletters).
- Manage internal communications for 300 (and growing) employees.
- Work with creative/content development partners (in-house or agency) to ensure that the creative plan delivers on the marketing/media objectives.
- Project manage marketing and public relations initiatives and campaigns throughout the lifecycle from plan to evaluation.
- Oversee communications and marketing efforts including events/programming, executive communications and PR thought leadership management, special project coordination, awards and industry recognition, integrated strategic marketing across web, digital, and social channels.
- Serve as a senior point of contact for media relations and acts as the representative for on-the-record spokespeople, as needed. Act as one of the spokespersons for the organization.
- Manage press materials for media outreach, including news releases, statements, op-eds, letters to the editor, talking points.
- Collaborate with the Talent Acquisition team to ensure the employer brand is aligned and consistent with organization’s brand.
- Provide communications guidance and support to RMI’s leadership team.
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field (e.g. marketing, communications, journalism); Master’s degree is a plus
- 15+ years’ experience in communications, PR, media relations and/or marketing-based role
- 10+ years’ experience in a supervisory or managerial role
- Deep passion for and robust understanding of the energy transition and climate change
- Digital savvy (web, social media, influencer engagement)
- Excellent oral and written communication skills – applicants to submit at least 2 writing samples
- Global mindset and ability to work and lead teams cross-functionally
- Strong leadership and process and project management skills; demonstrated collaborative mindset
- High degree of prioritization and ability to deliver in a fast-paced environment
This position will remain remote through the COVID-19 pandemic. Once the situation improves, it is preferred that this role be located at one of our offices in Oakland, CA; New York City; Washington D.C.; Basalt or Boulder, CO. This will be discussed further throughout the interview process.
The salary range for this position is $215,000-$301,000, with the target being around $250,000. This is dependent on experience and will be discussed/vetted throughout the interview process. This role has an additional 25% bonus target.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package including:
- Medical, dental, vision insurance
- 403b retirement options (5% match immediately)
- Life, AD&D, short-term and long-term disability
- Professional and personal development (including LinkedIn Learning access)
- Generous paid time off
- Parental leave
- Commuter and wellness benefits
- Casual work environment
Increasing the diversity of thought, perspectives, ideas and opinions within RMI is a critical change element supporting our long-term sustainability and mission to build a clean, prosperous, and secure energy future.
We strive for a level of diversity that reflects the communities we serve. Achieving this—regardless of ability, race, ethnicity, ancestry, age, gender, sexual orientation, religion, marital status, socioeconomic class, educational attainment or other social identities—is critical to the success of each RMIer and collectively as an organization, ensuring that we:
- Have the different array of thinking that comes from diverse backgrounds and cultures, enabling us to solve some of the world’s greatest challenges.
- Strive for a culture of inclusion and belonging by treating others with dignity, respect and appreciation enabling them to feel welcomed, supported and valued.
- Effectively connect, communicate and build long-lasting relationships with decision makers, stakeholders and constituents within diverse communities.
Rocky Mountain Institute is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
About Rocky Mountain Institute
Rocky Mountain Institute transforms global energy use to create a clean, prosperous, and secure low-carbon future. That is our mission. That is our passion. And every day, every member of our team of nearly 300 works relentlessly to achieve it. We are driving the global energy transition from fossil fuels to efficiency and renewables by working in partnership with businesses, communities, institutions, and entrepreneurs to advance market-based solutions. We achieve this by developing breakthrough ideas, testing and refining them, reshaping markets, and bringing solutions to scale. RMI is an independent 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization with an annual budget of $70 million and offices in Basalt and Boulder, Colorado; New York City; Oakland, California; Washington, D.C.; and Beijing, China.