Marketing Manager - Breakthrough Technologies Program
Marketing Manager - Breakthrough Technologies Program
Are you a creative thinker with an intense drive for results and impact? Are you passionate about our theory of change? Do you have a keen ability to grasp and synthesize complex issues? Are you a highly organized and detailed-oriented expert at tailoring communications to different audiences? Do you thrive on working in fast-paced environments and simultaneously managing multiple projects and priorities? If yes, then join our growing team!
RMI is seeking an experienced Program Marketing Manager to help lead the marketing and communications (M&C) strategy and execution for its Breakthrough Technologies (BT) Program. In this role, you will serve as an integral part of the BT team and be responsible for guiding the development and execution of overarching strategic communication and engagement plans for the program and its sub-initiatives. You will also serve as the primary liaison to the institute’s marketing & communications team. Your responsibilities would include conducting market assessments, developing M&C strategy and tactical plans, and leading the execution of those plans personally and by employing in-house and 3rd-party resources. This includes helping to grow BT’s spheres of influence and network of partnerships as well as cultivating existing partnerships through the planning and execution of bi-annual, all-virtual summit events and other partner convenings. RMI communications plans utilize diverse channels and media. You will enjoy developing strategy and executing that work, both individually and through effectively engaging in-house functional experts (this in-house team supports all RMI programs and fundraising) in editorial, design, traditional and digital media, and web for the benefit of their programs.
RMI’s Breakthrough Technology (BT) Program seeks to bring 2-3 gigaton-scale climate technologies to market annually. Our two BT initiatives work complementarily to drive maximum impact throughout the entire chain of climate-tech commercialization, deployment and scale:
* Third Derivative finds, funds, hones, and scales the world’s most promising climate tech innovations by aligning investors, corporations, and market experts with startups to provide the resources and insights needed to achieve a 1.5-degree C world more quickly. .
* Market Making Machine creates transformational markets that do not yet exist. Together we are driving climate-tech innovation in the most impactful areas and accelerating the rate of climate-tech innovation across the globe.
- Lead the communications and influence strategy for RMI’s Breakthrough Technology (BT) Program, a rapidly growing program. This includes augmenting existing M&C efforts while spearheading the launch of several new initiatives.
- Support PR expansion efforts globally. Initiatives with BT will be international in scope, including focused work with global corporate partners, VC investors, and startups.
- Build, own, and manage rapidly growing annual M&C budget of $100k+
- Partner with initiative leaders to develop, coordinate, and deliver communications and influence strategies for the BT program that leverage diverse channels including media relations, social media, events, direct communications, and RMI- and partner-owned assets
- Event planning, coordination, and management of programmatic events (i.e., two global, all-virtual summits per year, advisory board meetings, cross-industry convenings)
- Ensure the program and initiative strategies are translated into robust and effective fundraising materials
- Craft audience-specific messages, whether regarding RMI’s offer to each of these industry sectors or for program donor base
- Develop substantive mastery of the technical content for owned impact areas
- Leverage in-house communications capabilities (i.e., editorial, design, web, traditional and social media) and 3rd-party agencies
- Grow social media presence (i.e., Twitter, LinkedIn, potentially other future platforms)
- Promote community engagement via newsletters and other communication channels, including updating existing marketing materials and developing new materials (investor and corporate decks, startup updates, etc)
- Coordinate integrated cross-programmatic messaging both internally and with external partners
- Proactively manage BT publication pipeline
- Direct RMI technical experts into the right conversations (media, social, other) that are shaping target audience sentiment in line with goals
- Develop and report against metrics of success and ROI
- Steward RMI and program brands within target markets and audiences
- Advise on optimal resource plan for communications, including hiring supporting resources or enlisting specialist agencies for the sectors in which we operate
- CRM support (contact us, media inquiries, etc) via Hubspot and potentially other CRM platforms
- Other responsibilities as assigned
- 5+ years’ experience in relevant industries with specific experience in marketing and communications disciplines, with demonstrated success in developing strategies and leading successful communications campaigns.
- Proven track record in event planning, coordination, and management (All-virtual event planning experience is a plus.)
- Experience in developing and communicating commercial and ESG content
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Experience in management and supervisory roles
- A strong team player with excellent interpersonal / collaborative skills with staff and counterparts at all organizational levels and with external partners
- Relevant experience and relative mastery of communications topics related to work of the program and how it fits into the bigger picture at RMI, the global energy transition, and climate change. Relevant topics Including subjects specific to:
- RMI’s Mission and Vision
- The Energy and Climate Transition
- Emissions data and transparency
- Business intelligence and decision support
- The oil and gas industry and other emissions intensive industries
- Global supply chains for fuels and commodities
- Carbon accounting, emissions attribution and carbon trading
- Meticulous attention to detail
- Experience in a rapid growth startup
- Expertise in industrial sectors, renewable and conventional energy, technology innovation, or startup / venture capital is highly desired
The position will remain remote through the COVID-19 pandemic. Once the COVID-19 situation improves, it is expected that this role will be based out of one of our US or international office locations. This will be discussed further throughout the interview process.
The salary range for this position is $76,500-$103,500, with the target being about $80,000-$90,000. This is dependent upon experience that will be discussed and vetted throughout the interview process. This position also includes an additional 10% bonus target.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package including:
- Medical, Dental, Vision Insurance
- 403b Retirement Options (5% match immediately)
- Life, AD&D, Short Term and Long Term Disability
- Parental leave
- Generous paid time off
- Commuter and Wellness Benefits
- Casual Work Environment
Increasing the diversity of thought, perspectives, ideas and opinions within RMI is a critical change element supporting our long-term sustainability and mission to build a clean, prosperous, and secure energy future.
We strive for a level of diversity that reflects the communities we serve. Achieving this—regardless of ability, race, ethnicity, ancestry, age, gender, sexual orientation, religion, veteran status, socioeconomic class, educational attainment or other social identities—is critical to the success of each RMIer and collectively as an organization. This ensures that we:
- Have the different array of thinking that comes from diverse backgrounds and cultures, enabling us to solve some of the world’s greatest challenges.
- Strive for a culture of inclusion and belonging by treating others with dignity, respect and appreciation enabling them to feel welcomed, supported and valued.
- Effectively connect, communicate and build long-lasting relationships with decision makers, stakeholders and constituents within diverse communities.
RMI is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
RMI transforms global energy use to create a clean, prosperous, and secure low-carbon future. That is our mission. That is our passion. And every day, every member of our team of nearly 300+ works relentlessly to achieve it. We are driving the global energy transition from fossil fuels to efficiency and renewables by working in partnership with businesses, communities, institutions, and entrepreneurs to advance market-based solutions. We achieve this by developing breakthrough ideas, testing and refining them, reshaping markets, and bringing solutions to scale. RMI is an independent 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization with an annual budget of $70 million and offices in Basalt and Boulder, Colorado; New York City; Oakland, California; Washington, D.C.; and Beijing, China.