Public Relations Senior Manager
We are seeking a dynamic, driven, and creative individual to join RMI’s Communications team to lead our public relations efforts and media strategies, both traditional and social, that advance the organization’s programmatic work, brand reputation and thought leadership in the US.
They will be responsible for working closely with RMI program marketers and program leaders to promote reports, initiative launches and announcements, and senior executives across all of RMI’s global energy-sector efforts in the US, India and China. This person will serve as the lead on media and public relations in the US, collaborating with public relations colleagues in international offices, and will manage a US-based media agency responsible for pitching and securing placements in top-tier and trade media. They will be responsible for facilitating brand-level reputational management strategies and coordinate efforts on crisis communications.
The role will report to the Managing Director, Global Marketing & Communications.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Develop and execute PR and media strategies to secure placements in top tier and trade media about RMI and our programmatic work
- Create and execute strategic media campaigns for RMI and our partners on specific programmatic announcements, initiatives, and launches.
- Supervise the implementation of strategic social media campaigns.
- Direct and manage external PR agency on strategy, pitching, and outreach
- Grow and maintain relationships with key reporters in RMI’s space and facilitate media relationships with our program experts to ensure to ensure RMI is top of mind within our targeted sectors and outlets
- In collaboration with Program Marketers, develop written press materials – releases, media/issue briefs, talking points, story pitches – and manage approval process with internal stakeholders and partners.
- Assist in facilitating media interviews for executives and subject matter experts, including identifying internal spokespersons, gaining approval and ensuring alignment with Program Marketers and external partners
- Supervise social media lead on digital media strategy (both organic and paid), reflective of the brand and business goals, and support the engagement of key target audiences.
- Facilitate media training and coaching as necessary
- Advise management on strategies and timing to leverage programmatic work, announcements and campaigns in a manner that helps achieve the greatest impact in the media market
- Provide support for broader brand stewardship efforts across the organization
- Perform other duties as assigned by leadership
- Manage two direct reports
- Set and achieve annual media strategy and targets.
- Supervise the creation and delivery of annual social media metrics.
- Proactively pitch media to foster ongoing relationships and keep key reporters in our space informed
- Monitor ongoing trends, news and topics for reactive pitching and insertion of RMI news and thought leaders
- Develop compelling external communications assets such as press releases, media alerts, proactive media pitches and media briefing books
- Understand the energy sectors in which we work and how to communicate our progress effectively in those sectors and the broader climate dialogue
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with key external stakeholders, influencers, partners
- Maintain our overall messaging platform and ensure communications are on-brand and consistent in terms of style, tonality and execution
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, public relations, communications or related field and/or appropriate combination of education and significant experience
- 5-7 years of experience in a public relations and/or communications role
- Significant direct experience in pitching and external media relations, including demonstrated success in pitching and placing stories
- An excellent listener and self-starter geared towards asking the right questions to quickly build coherent messages and compelling story angles
- High energy and drive to accomplish goals, meet deadlines, and find solutions
- Must be highly organized, detail oriented and execute on a number of projects simultaneously in a fast-paced environment, acting with urgency and accuracy
- Ability to communicate with both internal and external stakeholders at all levels of the organization
- Exceptional track record of working effectively with the media, securing and maintaining relationships internally and externally.
- Experience managing communications strategies with measurable results
- Established, trustworthy relationships with top-tier media outlets and/or journalists in the energy field preferred
- Impeccable writing skills, demonstrating the ability to clearly communicate information to multiple audiences
- Ability to quickly grasp and synthesize complex issues
- Experience with energy, finance and environmental media preferred
- Proficiency with Cision, MS Office, Sharepoint, and Monday.com
This position will remain remote through the COVID-19 pandemic. Once the COVID-19 situation improves, it is expected that these roles be located at one of our offices in Oakland, CA; New York City; Washington D.C.; or Boulder, CO. This will be discussed further throughout the interview process.
The starting salary for this position is $86-90k, dependent on experience. There is potential to earn more based upon experience that will be discussed and vetted throughout the interview process. This level additionally has a 10% bonus target.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package including:
- Medical, dental, vision insurance
- 403b retirement options (5% match immediately)
- Life, AD&D, short-term and long-term disability
- Professional and personal development (including LinkedIn Learning access)
- Generous paid time off
- Parental leave
- Commuter and wellness benefits
- Casual work environment
Increasing the diversity of thought, perspectives, ideas and opinions within RMI is a critical change element supporting our long-term sustainability and mission to build a clean, prosperous, and secure energy future.
We strive for a level of diversity that reflects the communities we serve. Achieving this—regardless of ability, race, ethnicity, ancestry, age, gender, sexual orientation, religion, veteran status, socioeconomic class, educational attainment or other social identities—is critical to the success of each RMIer and collectively as an organization. This ensures that we:
- Have the different array of thinking that comes from diverse backgrounds and cultures, enabling us to solve some of the world’s greatest challenges.
- Strive for a culture of inclusion and belonging by treating others with dignity, respect and appreciation enabling them to feel welcomed, supported and valued.
- Effectively connect, communicate and build long-lasting relationships with decision makers, stakeholders and constituents within diverse communities.
Rocky Mountain Institute is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
About Rocky Mountain Institute
Rocky Mountain Institute transforms global energy use to create a clean, prosperous, and secure low-carbon future. That is our mission. That is our passion. And every day, every member of our team of nearly 250 works relentlessly to achieve it. We are driving the global energy transition from fossil fuels to efficiency and renewables by working in partnership with businesses, communities, institutions, and entrepreneurs to advance market-based solutions. We achieve this by developing breakthrough ideas, testing and refining them, reshaping markets, and bringing solutions to scale. RMI is an independent 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization with an annual budget of $70 million and offices in Basalt and Boulder, Colorado; New York City; Oakland, California; Washington, D.C.; and Beijing, China.