Development Officer - Corporates
The Corporate Development Officer is responsible for the development and management of a portfolio of current and new corporate philanthropy funders, as well as key programmatic initiatives and their fundraising strategy. This includes working with programmatic staff to build fundraising and engagement strategies and the case for support, while also building and leveraging key relationships and contacts within and outside of the organization’s network. The Corporate Development Officer will be a key contributor to the development team and will be essential to the achievement of the organization’s fundraising goals.
- Advance relationships that result in large philanthropic contributions for Rocky Mountain Institute through personal visits, email correspondence, and phone and video meetings with prospects and corporate partners.
- Identify, qualify, solicit and steward a portfolio of approximately 50-100 new and existing corporate philanthropic prospects (with capacity to make gifts (from $25,000 to $1,000,000 and more).
- Provide high quality experience for corporate donors with grant management, reporting, and stewardship.
- Gather data, identify and assess prospects, and develop engagement and cultivation strategies designed to realize the current and future giving potential of prospects.
- Work with the program teams to create compelling proposals, cultivate new prospects, and steward existing corporate donors.
- Use Salesforce database to document relationship management process and provide accurate relationship status and financial projections for portfolio.
- Work collaboratively with the program team to gain a comprehensive understanding of RMI work and build strong working relationships with program leaders.
- Translate highly technical information into accessible written and verbal language that highlight the unique value of investment in RMI and convince corporate foundations to support key programs and projects.
- Represent RMI at events in order to expand the organization’s network and cultivate new prospects.
- Support the development team in preparing communications and materials, designing meeting content, and coordinating activities with program colleagues.
- Serve as an active member of the development team; support the implementation of the development team’s short- and long-term objectives; engage with the development team by attending staff meetings, serving on special task forces, participating in development-program meetings, and understanding and contributing to RMI’s development strategy and overall mission.
- Perform other duties as required or assigned.
Minimum Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree
- A minimum of 5 years work experience in non-profit development, with a track record of successful solicitation of philanthropic gifts.
- Experience working successfully with top level Executives in a fast-paced environment.
- Experience working in environment, climate or energy field strongly desired.
- Planned giving and international experience desired but not required.
- Ability to travel up to 50% of the time
- Knowledge of RMI’s mission and objectives as well as the principles and practices of non-profit organizations.
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with RMI staff, Board members, community groups and other associated agencies.
- Able to navigate and understand a complicated funding environment with the flexibility to change course quickly with a positive attitude
This position will remain remote through the COVID-19 pandemic. Once the COVID-19 situation improves, it is expected that this role be located at one of our offices in New York City, Washington D.C., Oakland, CA, Basalt or Boulder, CO. This will be discussed further throughout the interview process.
The salary range for this position is $76,500 - $103,000, with the target being about $76,500 - $85,000. This is dependent on experience that will be discussed and vetted throughout the interview process. This position has an additional 10% bonus target!
We offer a comprehensive benefits package including:
- Medical, dental, vision insurance
- 403b retirement options (5% match immediately)
- Life, AD&D, short-term and long-term disability
- Professional and personal development (including LinkedIn Learning access)
- Generous paid time off
- Parental leave
- Commuter and wellness benefits
- Casual work environment
Increasing the diversity of thought, perspectives, ideas and opinions within RMI is a critical change element supporting our long-term sustainability and mission to build a clean, prosperous, and secure energy future.
We strive for a level of diversity that reflects the communities we serve. Achieving this—regardless of ability, race, ethnicity, ancestry, age, gender, sexual orientation, religion, veteran status, socioeconomic class, educational attainment or other social identities—is critical to the success of each RMIer and collectively as an organization. This ensures that we:
- Have the different array of thinking that comes from diverse backgrounds and cultures, enabling us to solve some of the world’s greatest challenges.
- Strive for a culture of inclusion and belonging by treating others with dignity, respect and appreciation enabling them to feel welcomed, supported and valued.
- Effectively connect, communicate and build long-lasting relationships with decision makers, stakeholders and constituents within diverse communities.
Rocky Mountain Institute is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
About Rocky Mountain Institute
Rocky Mountain Institute transforms global energy use to create a clean, prosperous, and secure low-carbon future. That is our mission. That is our passion. And every day, every member of our team of nearly 250 works relentlessly to achieve it. We are driving the global energy transition from fossil fuels to efficiency and renewables by working in partnership with businesses, communities, institutions, and entrepreneurs to advance market-based solutions. We achieve this by developing breakthrough ideas, testing and refining them, reshaping markets, and bringing solutions to scale. RMI is an independent 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization with an annual budget of $70 million and offices in Basalt and Boulder, Colorado; New York City; Oakland, California; Washington, D.C.; and Beijing, China.