Program Coordinator - Breakthrough Technology
Rocky Mountain Institute (RMI) is seeking a Program Coordinator to support the Breakthrough Technologies program. At RMI we work to accelerate the transition to a sustainable future. A critical part of our work is identifying process and technology gaps, as well as their critical market barriers. Clean technologies have struggled to deploy commercially and at the unprecedented scale and speed required to meet 1.5 degree targets. To address these challenges, the Breakthrough Technology team works to identify the mechanisms to unlock markets, to accelerate commercialization of emerging technologies and solutions, and to demonstrate market development pathways.
This Program Coordinator should have exceptional organizational and communication skills to facilitate successful execution of all operations within the Breakthrough Technologies program, enabling maximum impact and return on investment. The Program Coordinator plays a key role in ensuring that the knowledge developed by the program is effectively managed and communicated to relevant parties. The Program Coordinator drives efficiency across operations and supports successful execution by monitoring and reporting on progress, resource usage and performance to objectives. This individual also ensures program budgets and progress are reported to staff and funders, and that the program coordinates and collaborates with key stakeholders to drive change.
Budget management and grant reporting
- Maintain program budget by reforecasting on a monthly basis and support with annual budget creation both within Adaptive
- Work with Development and the program team to ensure coordination of key materials and all funding opportunities are up to date in Salesforce on a monthly basis
- Support program fundraising efforts by ensuring RMI and program qualifications are appropriately referenced in funding proposals
- Facilitate and manage the monitoring and reporting against all requirements in the program’s grant and contract agreements
- Manage grant management, tracking, and reporting in partnership with compliance manager, development officer, and program leadership
- Maintain a high-level view of the funding Pipeline and give feedback to leadership on future funding gaps
- Act as a liaison between finance and the program to ensure that the correct rates are being used for budgets in funding proposals and contracts
- Support program team with full-cycle recruitment, including working with leadership to update and deliver on hiring targets and staff utilization
- Ensure that team members are participating in relevant trainings and utilizing their learning and development budgets
- Serve as point person for the program team on travel safety procedures and guidelines
Procurement and contracting
- Plan, organize, and executes internal program-related events
- Manage invoices, current contracts, creation of new contracts and relationships with current and future program contractors
- Submit vendor bills correctly and in a timely manner
- Facilitate and manage procurement processes for the program with the support from RMI’s compliance manager
- Ensure all team members are properly planned in project management tool
- Maintain project structures (including budget and project-specific data) and create new projects when needed in project management tool
- Review and approve timesheets and expense reports for the program
- Track RMI-standard KPIs and compiles results, generating actionable plans for improvement for leadership review
- Maintain the program’s SharePoint homepages
Internal (intra-institute) coordination
- Serve as liaison between the program team and RMI’s operations departments, with a focus on efficiency and effectiveness
- Support operations in implementation of process improvements and RMI standards for program success
- Work with leaders to ensure consistent processes and tools are utilized across the program
- Facilitate internal coordination with other programs and operations on shared resources, providing frequent updates to leadership
- Additional responsibilities, as required
Necessary Qualifications and Skills
The ideal candidate is a professional who takes initiative, is flexible, and enjoys working in a results-driven, team environment. The Program Coordinator should exercise good judgment in a variety of situations, with strong written and verbal communication, administration, and organizational skills. The Program Coordinator should have the ability to work independently on projects, periodically work under pressure, and collaborate effectively with diverse staff. The successful individual will have:
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university, or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- A minimum of 5 years of progressively responsible administrative, operations, project management or related experience
- Experience in managing multiple funding sources, including experience with multiple types of funding (corporate, philanthropic, multilateral, government)
- Strong financial management skills and proficiency
- International and cross-cultural experience highly desired
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Proven organization skills and flexibility when it comes to balancing priorities
- Passion for the mission of RMI
- Experience with Salesforce
- Strong team and interpersonal skills and the ability to work independently
- Proficient budgeting, finance, and project management skills
- Demonstrable problem solving skills
- Ability to effectively multitask
- Good judgement and strong decision-making ability
- Attention to detail and exceptional accuracy
- Grant and proposal writing and management
The position will remain remote through the COVID-19 pandemic. Once the COVID-19 situation improves, it is expected that this role will be based out of one of our offices in Washington, D.C., Boulder, or Basalt, Colorado. This will be discussed further throughout the interview process.
The starting salary for this position is $60,500 with potential to earn more dependent upon experience that will be discussed and vetted through the interview process. This position also includes an additional 5% bonus target.
- We offer a comprehensive benefits package including:
- Medical, Dental, Vision Insurance
- 403b Retirement Options (5% match immediately)
- Life, AD&D, Short Term and Long-Term Disability
- Commuter and Wellness Benefits
- RMI is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Increasing the diversity of thought, perspectives, ideas and opinions within RMI is a critical change element supporting our long-term sustainability and mission to build a clean, prosperous, and secure energy future.
We strive for a level of diversity that reflects the communities we serve. Achieving this—regardless of ability, race, ethnicity, ancestry, age, gender, sexual orientation, religion, veteran status, socioeconomic class, educational attainment or other social identities—is critical to the success of each RMIer and collectively as an organization. This ensures that we:
- Have the different array of thinking that comes from diverse backgrounds and cultures, enabling us to solve some of the world’s greatest challenges.
- Strive for a culture of inclusion and belonging by treating others with dignity, respect and appreciation enabling them to feel welcomed, supported and valued.
- Effectively connect, communicate and build long-lasting relationships with decision makers, stakeholders and constituents within diverse communities.
Rocky Mountain Institute is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
About Rocky Mountain Institute
Rocky Mountain Institute transforms global energy use to create a clean, prosperous, and secure low-carbon future. That is our mission. That is our passion. And every day, every member of our team of nearly 250 works relentlessly to achieve it. We are driving the global energy transition from fossil fuels to efficiency and renewables by working in partnership with businesses, communities, institutions, and entrepreneurs to advance market-based solutions. We achieve this by developing breakthrough ideas, testing and refining them, reshaping markets, and bringing solutions to scale. RMI is an independent 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization with an annual budget of $70 million and offices in Basalt and Boulder, Colorado; New York City; Oakland, California; Washington, D.C.; and Beijing, China.