Alignment Frameworks Manager - Center for Climate Aligned Finance
Do you love solving challenging problems, thinking about systemic change, and working in groups? Do you also have the self-motivation, curiosity, creativity and ability to persuade others toward meaningful results? Do you have a passion for making the world a better place? If yes, then join our growing team!
Application Deadline: December 4th, 2020
Expectations about the role of private financial institutions in shaping a sustainable planet have evolved rapidly and have now converged on the notion of climate alignment—aligning financial decision-making with globally-agreed upon climate goals. While climate alignment is a powerful theory, implementation poses daunting challenges. Rocky Mountain Institute’s Center for Climate-Aligned Finance was established as an “engine room” to help private financial institutions develop practical and scalable solutions to the barriers to climate alignment. The Center’s work is fast paced but is balanced by a supportive and friendly team culture.
RMI’s Center for Climate-Aligned Finance is seeking a Manager to join its growing team.
Specifically, we are looking to hire an individual to oversee our workstreams on climate alignment frameworks and financial regulation. The successful candidate will oversee the team’s efforts to understand and ultimately shape how climate alignment is being defined for different types of financial institutions as well as how those financial institutions can make and demonstrate progress. The successful candidate will also oversee the team’s efforts to embed climate into financial decision-making.
We are looking for an individual with a strong understanding of the financial markets. An important component of this is a deep understanding of the role of various actors throughout the investment chain. This knowledge and expertise will be harnessed to engage directly with financial regulators and global financial institutions. The Candidate will work closely with the Center leadership team and will provide strategic guidance on multiple workstreams whilst overseeing a team of 4-5 people. Candidates should be highly collaborative and comfortable with a relatively flat hierarchy.
In addition to managing frameworks and financial regulation workstreams within the Center, the Manager will also support strategy development of the Center more broadly, its fundraising efforts, and the management/development of its relationships with external partners. The Manager will also play a key role in personnel and team management. This includes mentoring more junior staff by supporting career development goals and facilitating opportunities for growth and supporting the team in maintaining a healthy work-life balance.
- Leadership - This is an exceptional opportunity for a manager to help shape core workstreams and oversee a high-performing team
- Strategy Development and Implementation – Manager will work with both senior and junior staff to ensure that strategy is continually adjusted and refined while also ensuring that day-to-day work reflects this strategy. This includes strategy at the Center-level, workstream, and project-levels.
- Project, Budget, and Personnel Management – Manager will oversee and provide strategic guidance across multiple projects simultaneously. These projects will often include day-to-day interaction with high-level financial and corporate decision-makers, internal and external technical experts, and project partners. Manager will work with all participants to ensure that impactful, high-quality work is delivered on-time and on-budget.
- Relationship Building and Management – Manager will work with both senior and junior staff to ensure that positive working relationships are built and maintained in line with RMI’s method of working effectively across diverse stakeholder groups and facilitating collaboration and agreement among stakeholders.
- Thought Leadership and Demonstration – Manager will work with both senior and junior staff to guide and contribute to novel research on climate alignment in the financial sector as well as to ensure that this is developed into highly-relevant thought leadership. The Manager will work with senior and junior staff to develop innovative approaches for injecting this thought leadership into practice.
- Fundraising – Manager will work closely with senior staff to support effective fundraising.
- Convening and Public Speaking – Manager will represent RMI in external presentations and gatherings. Manager will also convene and facilitate meetings – both in-person and virtual.
- Graduate degree or undergraduate degree with equivalent experience in a relevant field such as finance, economics, business, or public policy is required.
- 8+ years of work experience is required; work in private finance (financial institution, service provider, financial regulation, etc.) is highly desirable
- 3+ years of management experience, including personnel, budget, and project management is required. Ability and desire to perform these functions within a flat hierarchy is required.
- Demonstrated team leadership experience
- Established financial acumen and a strong network of relevant contacts within the financial sector.
- Keen interest in shaping the role of private financial institutions in proactively supporting decarbonization
- Strong stakeholder management skills and a demonstrated experience to adeptly manage relationships
- Demonstrated track record of thought leadership—an ability to turn complicated concepts into compelling narratives tailored to specific audiences
- Ability and desire to learn quickly and a strong capacity to work with technical concepts
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Highly organized with exceptional attention to detail and follow-through
- Ability to work in a fast-paced work environment
- Experience planning and/or facilitating events and workshops
- Familiarity with climate-related issues in the financial sector. Familiarity with developments in the global financial regulatory environment is a plus.
These positions will remain remote through the COVID-19 pandemic. Once the COVID-19 situation improves, it is expected that these roles be located at one of our offices in New York City, Washington D.C., or Boulder. This will be discussed further throughout the interview process.
The starting salary for the manager level is $90-100k, dependent on experience. This level additionally has a 10% bonus target.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package including:
- Medical, dental, vision insurance
- 403b retirement options (5% match immediately)
- Life, AD&D, short-term and long-term disability
- Professional and personal development (including LinkedIn Learning access)
- Generous paid time off
- Parental leave
- Commuter and wellness benefits
- Casual work environment
Increasing the diversity of thought, perspectives, ideas and opinions within RMI is a critical change element supporting our long-term sustainability and mission to build a clean, prosperous, and secure energy future.
We strive for a level of diversity that reflects the communities we serve. Achieving this—regardless of ability, race, ethnicity, ancestry, age, gender, sexual orientation, religion, veteran status, socioeconomic class, educational attainment or other social identities—is critical to the success of each RMIer and collectively as an organization. This ensures that we:
- Have the different array of thinking that comes from diverse backgrounds and cultures, enabling us to solve some of the world’s greatest challenges.
- Strive for a culture of inclusion and belonging by treating others with dignity, respect and appreciation enabling them to feel welcomed, supported and valued.
- Effectively connect, communicate and build long-lasting relationships with decision makers, stakeholders and constituents within diverse communities.
Rocky Mountain Institute is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
About Rocky Mountain Institute
Rocky Mountain Institute transforms global energy use to create a clean, prosperous, and secure low-carbon future. That is our mission. That is our passion. And every day, every member of our team of nearly 250 works relentlessly to achieve it. We are driving the global energy transition from fossil fuels to efficiency and renewables by working in partnership with businesses, communities, institutions, and entrepreneurs to advance market-based solutions. We achieve this by developing breakthrough ideas, testing and refining them, reshaping markets, and bringing solutions to scale. RMI is an independent 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization with an annual budget of $70 million and offices in Basalt and Boulder, Colorado; New York City; Oakland, California; Washington, D.C.; and Beijing, China.