Industrial Decarbonization Associate - Climate Aligned Finance
Do you love solving challenging problems, thinking about systemic change, and working in groups? Do you also have the self-motivation, curiosity, creativity and ability to persuade others toward meaningful results? Do you have a passion for making the world a better place? If yes, then join our growing team!
Application Deadline: January 4th, 2020
Expectations about the role of private financial institutions in shaping a sustainable planet have evolved rapidly and have now converged on the notion of climate alignment—aligning financial decision-making with globally-agreed upon climate goals. While climate alignment is a powerful theory that could provide a definitive approach for the financial sector to drive long-term decarbonization, implementation poses daunting challenges. Rocky Mountain Institute’s Center for Climate-Aligned Finance was established as an “engine room” to help private financial institutions partner with their clients, industry leaders, and key buyers to develop practical and scalable solutions to the barriers to climate alignment. The Center’s work is fast-paced but is balanced by a supportive and friendly team culture.
RMI’s Center for Climate-Aligned Finance is seeking an Associate or Senior Associate to join its growing team. Specifically, we are looking to hire an individual to help support financial institutions align their sectoral portfolios in carbon-intensive sectors such as iron and steel and other hard-to-abate sectors with climate targets. The successful candidate will support the team’s efforts to understand and ultimately shape how financial institutions can partner with their clients to establish the agreements and tools necessary to achieve climate alignment. The successful candidate will also support the team’s efforts to build high-impact, multi-stakeholder platforms with representatives from finance, industry, and other experts with the aim of raising the profile and ambition for industrial decarbonization in a critical decade.
Climate alignment is an emerging concept, related to but distinct from sustainable and ESG investing. As a result, we are looking for an individual with a strong understanding of private financial markets and private financial institutions. Additionally, we are looking for an individual with a solid understanding of and/or experience working on issues related to industrial decarbonization. This knowledge and expertise will be harnessed to produce research and thought leadership, as well as to engage directly with global financial institutions and actors across the industrial value chain.
Associates and Senior Associates support a wide range of activities, including stakeholder engagement and management, strategy development, planning and facilitation of workshops and events, and writing and research. Because the Center’s work is heavily focused on working in partnership with the financial sector, companies, and other organizations, research and outreach and engagement are major components of this role. We will carefully review each application to determine the appropriate starting position level (Associate or Senior Associate), and this will be communicated during the interview process.
- Developing research and thought leadership products, including discussion papers, concept notes, reports, blogs, and presentations
- Leading and/or supporting stakeholder outreach and engagement at a range of institutions (including private financial institutions, companies, and non-governmental organizations), including conducting interviews, managing partnerships, and supporting recruitment and participation of external stakeholders in the Center’s workstreams
- Planning, designing, and facilitating workshops
- Supporting the development of innovative approaches and strategies for achieving our core objectives
- Representing RMI and the Center for Climate-Aligned Finance at conferences and events
- Preparing proposals, pitch decks, grant reports and other donor-facing materials
- Developing and managing work plans
- Leveraging knowledge and experience of the private financial sector and capital markets as well as knowledge of the emerging field of climate alignment in all of the above
- Leveraging knowledge of industrial decarbonization technologies and markets in all of the above
- Graduate degree or undergraduate degree with equivalent experience in a relevant field such as finance, economics, business, or public policy is required.
- For Associate level, 1+ years of work experience in a related field is required; for Senior Associate, 4+ years’ of work experience in a related field is required
- Previous experience in private finance with established financial acumen. Preference for sector-specific financial experience as e.g., a sector analyst or member of a sector investment or lending desk
- Keen interest in the shaping the role of private financial institutions in proactively supporting decarbonization
- Ability to leverage existing knowledge of financial institutions and the capital markets and willingness to expand into new subject matter
- Ability to leverage existing knowledge of industrial decarbonization strategies and willingness to expand into new subject matter
- Familiarity with climate-related issues in the financial sector
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Highly organized with exceptional attention to detail and follow-through
- Ability to work in a fast-paced work environment
- Ability to work both independently and as a highly collaborative team player
- Experience planning and/or facilitating events and workshops, and strong external engagement skills
- Proactive problem solver who is willing to develop and share ideas internally and externally, and is comfortable with open-ended projects
These positions will remain remote through the COVID-19 pandemic. Once the COVID-19 situation improves, it is expected that these roles be located at one of our offices in New York City, Washington D.C., or Boulder. This will be discussed further throughout the interview process.
- The starting Associate level salary range is $68,000-$75,000 with a 5% bonus target. This is based on experience that will be vetted through the interview process.
- The starting Senior Associate level salary is $76,500-$85,000 with a 5% bonus target. This is based on experience that will be vetted through the interview process.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package including:
- Medical, dental, vision insurance
- 403b retirement options (5% match immediately)
- Life, AD&D, short-term and long-term disability
- Professional and personal development (including LinkedIn Learning access)
- Generous paid time off
- Parental leave
- Commuter and wellness benefits
- Casual work environment
Increasing the diversity of thought, perspectives, ideas and opinions within RMI is a critical change element supporting our long-term sustainability and mission to build a clean, prosperous, and secure energy future.
We strive for a level of diversity that reflects the communities we serve. Achieving this—regardless of ability, race, ethnicity, ancestry, age, gender, sexual orientation, religion, veteran status, socioeconomic class, educational attainment or other social identities—is critical to the success of each RMIer and collectively as an organization. This ensures that we:
- Have the different array of thinking that comes from diverse backgrounds and cultures, enabling us to solve some of the world’s greatest challenges.
- Strive for a culture of inclusion and belonging by treating others with dignity, respect and appreciation enabling them to feel welcomed, supported and valued.
- Effectively connect, communicate and build long-lasting relationships with decision makers, stakeholders and constituents within diverse communities.
Rocky Mountain Institute is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
About Rocky Mountain Institute
Rocky Mountain Institute transforms global energy use to create a clean, prosperous, and secure low-carbon future. That is our mission. That is our passion. And every day, every member of our team of nearly 250 works relentlessly to achieve it. We are driving the global energy transition from fossil fuels to efficiency and renewables by working in partnership with businesses, communities, institutions, and entrepreneurs to advance market-based solutions. We achieve this by developing breakthrough ideas, testing and refining them, reshaping markets, and bringing solutions to scale. RMI is an independent 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization with an annual budget of $70 million and offices in Basalt and Boulder, Colorado; New York City; Oakland, California; Washington, D.C.; and Beijing, China.