Rocky Mountain Institute is seeking a self-motivated and eager candidate with exceptional organizational and communication skills to provide high-level administrative support for the Managing Director of Development and Development team. This individual will provide outstanding acknowledgement, stewardship, and customer service to RMI’s donors, managing their confidential gift and personal information in our Salesforce database. This position also supports event engagements for the Development team as needed across our offices. The ideal candidate is able to manage competing priorities with a can-do attitude, and maintain a pleasant and professional demeanor under pressure. The person must have a proven track record handling sensitive information.
This position reports to the Managing Director of Development.
Development Executive Support (40%):
Serves as a key member of the Development team and right hand to the Managing Director of Development. Excitement about fundraising and performing distinct development tasks will be an essential part of the job:
- Assist the Managing Director with top-level portfolio donor stewardship and communication
- Work with Salesforce to update records, input data and generate reports and lists
- Develop PowerPoint presentations
- Manage weekly development team meeting agenda and coordinate various team activities
- Prepare and respond to a range of high-level correspondence, briefings, and donor meeting materials
- Manage all logistical and booking details related to travel
- As needed may work with Trustees, volunteers and other high-level stakeholders to assist with scheduling relevant donor meetings and to handle all necessary post-meeting correspondence
- Track status of gifts and work with appropriate colleagues in data operations to help manage our top donors
- Understand operations and flag potential issues to the MD and development team
- Track communications and administrative activities within department and among direct reports to the MD.
- Interest in building their skills in development professionally.
Gift Processing, Acknowledgement and Reporting (40%)
- Gift Processing - Process pledges, gifts, pledge-receivables and grant contracts for Development Department, including accurate and timely data entry and document upload in Salesforce.
- Acknowledge all gifts are received, and provide customized donor acknowledgements and supporting stewardship for RMI’s recognition levels
- Update donor acknowledgment letter based on donor-focused research
- Donor Data Management – update donor records from available information through research, donor communication, including returned mail and online communications.
- Assist development operational process improvements by documenting and improving internal processes between development, project management office and finance.
- Initiate Thank You Calls by Development Department
- Provide database administrative support for fundraising, campaign, gift acknowledgment, and donor recognition programs.
- Understand the Salesforce Reporting Functions. Prepare basic Salesforce reports and modify complex Apsona/Salesforce reports for data quality control, donor engagement opportunities, prospect research in advance of fundraiser and executive travel.
Customer Service and Event Support (20%)
- Provide outstanding customer service for donor requests and questions through email and phone communications.
- Event support as-needed, including onsite logistical support for donor-focused events
Technical and Tools Knowledge
- Maintain a high level of knowledge of and facility with office tools and software including Salesforce, Office 365, Calendar functions, SharePoint, OneDrive, Excel, Word, Power Point and Macintosh.
- Dependability. Can be counted on to assist with projects outside areas of primary responsibility.
- Flexibility. Is able to handle unanticipated changes to schedules, plans and workloads; approaches difficult situations with a positive attitude.
- Presentation. Exhibits a high level of professionalism in interaction with others. Communicates clearly and effectively verbally and in writing and has superior listening skills. Interacts with others in a professional manner. Represents RMI to the outside world, often by engaging with people at the highest levels in corporations, foundations, individual donors, government, and academic institutions.
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university
- Two years of experience working in an administrative support role
- Strong team and interpersonal skills and the ability to work independently
- Must be well-organized, flexible and enjoy the administrative challenges of supporting executive level individuals
- Ability to interact with staff at all levels, often under pressure, remaining positive, flexible, proactive, resourceful, efficient, and managing multiple demands
- Able to manage several responsibilities at a time while ensuring accuracy and attention to detail
- Ability to maintain professionalism and strict confidentiality at all times
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Attention to detail and exceptional accuracy
- Proficiency in Microsoft Outlook, Calendar functions, Sharepoint, OneDrive, Excel, Powerpoint, Word and typical contact database software
- Experience planning domestic and international travel
- Ability to continually develop skills related to use of rapidly changing technology and communications best practices
- Entrepreneurial spirit and skill set essential
- Experience working for a geographically dispersed organization
- Experience working for a nonprofit
- Experience working with fundraising database software
This position will remain remote through the COVID-19 pandemic. Once the COVID-19 situation improves, it is expected that this position be located at one of our office locations, with a preference for Boulder, CO.This will be discussed further throughout the interview process.
The starting hourly wage for this role is $24.00-$25.00, depending on experience. This role will have an additional 5% bonus target.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package including:
- Medical, dental, vision insurance
- 403b retirement options (5% match immediately)
- Life, AD&D, short-term and long-term disability
- Professional and personal development (including LinkedIn Learning access)
- Generous paid time off
- Parental leave
- Commuter and wellness benefits
- Casual work environment
Increasing the diversity of thought, perspectives, ideas and opinions within RMI is a critical change element supporting our long-term sustainability and mission to build a clean, prosperous, and secure energy future.
We strive for a level of diversity that reflects the communities we serve. Achieving this—regardless of ability, race, ethnicity, ancestry, age, gender, sexual orientation, religion, marital status, socioeconomic class, educational attainment or other social identities—is critical to the success of each RMIer and collectively as an organization, ensuring that we:
- Have the different array of thinking that comes from diverse backgrounds and cultures, enabling us to solve some of the world’s greatest challenges.
- Strive for a culture of inclusion and belonging by treating others with dignity, respect and appreciation enabling them to feel welcomed, supported and valued.
- Effectively connect, communicate and build long-lasting relationships with decision makers, stakeholders and constituents within diverse communities.
Rocky Mountain Institute is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
About Rocky Mountain Institute
Rocky Mountain Institute transforms global energy use to create a clean, prosperous, and secure low-carbon future. That is our mission. That is our passion. And every day, every member of our team of nearly 250 works relentlessly to achieve it. We are driving the global energy transition from fossil fuels to efficiency and renewables by working in partnership with businesses, communities, institutions, and entrepreneurs to advance market-based solutions. We achieve this by developing breakthrough ideas, testing and refining them, reshaping markets, and bringing solutions to scale. RMI is an independent 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization with an annual budget of $70 million and offices in Basalt and Boulder, Colorado; New York City; Oakland, California; Washington, D.C.; and Beijing, China.