Rocky Mountain Institute is seeking a writer/editor with a journalistic background and a portfolio of writing in the areas of energy, clean energy, and climate within top tier and/or trade media, or a demonstrated background writing and editing thought leadership products for a similar NGO. The role combines a writer’s curiosity, innovation, and creativity with an operational focus to coordinate and resource an extensive report and publications schedule. They will be part of RMI’s Communications team and report to the editorial director
The writer/editor will work with RMI’s program teams and writers, external partners, and freelancers to support the writing, production, and editing of RMI’s global editorial and publications portfolio. In addition, they will write compelling and original content for RMI’s blog and donor and industry magazines. They will also gather metrics and manage production of weekly and monthly newsletters.
A successful hire should have journalistic or equivalent writing experience on the technical aspects of energy and climate, with at least two years of experience as a journalist and/or editor. Experience writing on electricity, finance, the built environment, industry, emerging markets, and/or mobility is also helpful. They will exhibit high intellectual curiosity and dedication toward RMI’s mission and be proficient at communicating to various B2B and B2C audiences at different levels of depth.
Editorial and Writing
- Write content and copyedit for various types of publications:
- Program publications, such as technical reports, insight briefs, and marketing collateral
- Donor publications, both print and digital
- Work on a team alongside in-house editorial, design, and web experts
- Proofread and edit copy
- Assist in evaluating finalized copy for compliance with policies, style, and tone
- Collect metrics on the performance of RMI products
- Write and produce weekly and monthly newsletters, both internal and external
- Be metrics- and results-driven
- Have excellent organizational skills as well as strong problem-solving abilities
- Be customer service-minded and comfortable delivering services on a professional level
- Be proficient in Monday.com or other project management software
- Negotiate and prioritize schedules with internal clients in order to deliver assets on time
- Monitor projects from initiation through delivery
- Identify resources and/or schedule conflicts and changes in project scope
- Drive efficiencies across all aspects of our work
- Work closely with digital/traditional media functions to promote and disseminate content and thought leadership topics
- Communicate effectively on resource requirements, staffing, and risk
- Leverage tools to keep project participants informed and aligned
- BA or equivalent in journalism or other relevant field
- Three years of experience in journalism or equivalent writing and editing experience within energy and renewables
- A portfolio of published top tier and/or trade media articles on energy transition topics, clean energy, electricity, energy efficiency, buildings, finance, and climate change
- Alternatively, a portfolio of articles and/or reports for NGOs or market research firms on these topics
- Strong abilities in copywriting and editing, including copyediting
- Fluency in Microsoft Office and content management systems
- Excellent organizational, time management, and project management skills
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Meticulous attention to detail
- Ability to think creatively and flexibly
- Ability to work effectively in a highly collaborative team environment
- A knack for unravelling complex problems and processes in an easy-to-understand way
- Able to synthesize feedback and relay it appropriately
- A strong team player with excellent interpersonal and collaboration skills with staff and counterparts at all organizational levels and with external partners
- Passion for RMI’s mission and theory of change
- Experience with Monday.com or other project management software
This position will remain remote through the COVID-19 pandemic. Once the COVID-19 situation improves, it is expected that these roles be located at one of our office locations. This will be discussed further throughout the interview process.
The starting salary for this role is $55,00-$65,000, dependent on experience. This role also has a 5% bonus target.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package including:
- Medical, dental, vision insurance
- 403b retirement options (5% match immediately)
- Life, AD&D, short-term and long-term disability
- Professional and personal development (including LinkedIn Learning access)
- Generous paid time off
- Parental leave
- Commuter and wellness benefits
- Casual work environment
Increasing the diversity of thought, perspectives, ideas and opinions within RMI is a critical change element supporting our long-term sustainability and mission to build a clean, prosperous, and secure energy future.
We strive for a level of diversity that reflects the communities we serve. Achieving this—regardless of ability, race, ethnicity, ancestry, age, gender, sexual orientation, religion, marital status, socioeconomic class, educational attainment or other social identities—is critical to the success of each RMIer and collectively as an organization, ensuring that we:
- Have the different array of thinking that comes from diverse backgrounds and cultures, enabling us to solve some of the world’s greatest challenges.
- Strive for a culture of inclusion and belonging by treating others with dignity, respect and appreciation enabling them to feel welcomed, supported and valued.
- Effectively connect, communicate and build long-lasting relationships with decision makers, stakeholders and constituents within diverse communities.
Rocky Mountain Institute is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
About Rocky Mountain Institute
Rocky Mountain Institute transforms global energy use to create a clean, prosperous, and secure low-carbon future. That is our mission. That is our passion. And every day, every member of our team of nearly 250 works relentlessly to achieve it. We are driving the global energy transition from fossil fuels to efficiency and renewables by working in partnership with businesses, communities, institutions, and entrepreneurs to advance market-based solutions. We achieve this by developing breakthrough ideas, testing and refining them, reshaping markets, and bringing solutions to scale. RMI is an independent 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization with an annual budget of $70 million and offices in Basalt and Boulder, Colorado; New York City; Oakland, California; Washington, D.C.; and Beijing, China.